GCC Application to downgrade a UCR near Stroud.

jerryg

• Platinum Member

Admin - Didn't know where to post this, so if in wrong place, apologies, please move.

Glos CC have made an application to downgrade a UCR to restricted access only. This a popular 'green lane' near Bisley, Stroud.

The Glos Glass rep is asking for support to lodge objections to this proposal. All Glass members and any other interested parties should do so to try and prevent yet another erosion of our pastime. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Jim, no, this came to me  (and Glos Glass members) from the Glos East rep - Dick Loveday via an email.

Quote :-(I have been informed that an application has been made to Gloucestershire County Council for a Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO) for a UCR near Bisley (Stroud) which is known as Daws Lane. The TW2 UID is SO8806-01.number for the application is 573/11/29(17). This was lodged on 14/12/21 and there is only a 6 week window for objections to be lodged.) 

I've emailed him to get more info and procedure to place an objection.

22 minutes ago, jerryg said:

Hi Jim, no, this came to me  (and Glos Glass members) from the Glos East rep - Dick Loveday via an email.

Quote :-(I have been informed that an application has been made to Gloucestershire County Council for a Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO) for a UCR near Bisley (Stroud) which is known as Daws Lane. The TW2 UID is SO8806-01.number for the application is 573/11/29(17). This was lodged on 14/12/21 and there is only a 6 week window for objections to be lodged.) 

I've emailed him to get more info and procedure to place an objection.

Happy to make an objection, but 10 minutes on Google has not resulted in me finding the application.

• Platinum Member

A Decision Notice will likely be posted here

I couldn't find anything on the council website using their own document search engine.

I suspect, that given the six week window, the timing of the application for the Christmas holiday and the nature of the change, corruption within GCC should not be excluded as a factor. There is not much that can be done if it is. You could try exposing any real evidence at a public meeting before a decision, but you need to make a personal decision concerning the consequences if you do. If evidence is found afterwards, the officers involved just resign and get a job at another county's RoW dept, the decision doesn't change.

Things to look for:

Complaints from residents on the affected route - FOI, council meeting minutes

Route residents that either work at GCC or have social contacts at GCC (Golf, other membership societies) - Telephone Directory, Facebook, LinkedIn, Companies House searches

Development plans - Recent planning applications, land registry changes, someone's money making project that cannot go ahead without the change

Councillors - Names, addresses

Local Activists - The usual anti 4x4 organisations

RoW officers that are retiring soon or moving to another county

Examining the relationships between all of the above.

https://www.transparency.org.uk/publications/corruption-uk-local-government-mounting-risks

• Platinum Member

Hi all, thanks for the interest shown in this matter. Below an update and some info as to how to object. A bit laborious I'm afraid, but typical of the tactics used by CC's!

From Gloucestershire GLASS Rep :-

Thanks to everyone who has replied to me previous email regarding the DMMO application.

I found the easiest way to do this is to send an email objection to modificationorders@gloucestershire.gov.uk.

Sorry I don’t have any specific format or form available but individually written objections may have greater weight than anything pre-planned..

As with many such procedures its not made at all easy by the authorities, finding it on the Glos website was not straight forward.

For those who wish to view the application online try the following.

Go to Gloucestershire County Council website. Select The Highways section. In search box type DMMO application and search. Select Register of Applications and them select View Register online. Select “Stroud” as nearest town (doesn’t show up in village search). The application 573/11/29(17) shows up about 2/3 of the way down list, you need to look closely to find it amongst all the others! Hope this helps.

There may be an easier and quicker way, someone else might be able to explain better.

Dick Loveday (Glos East GLASS Rep)

• Like 1

I think he is spot on about avoiding a standard form objection.  I have experience in planning matters and if multiple identical, or near identical, objections are received they are considered as only a single objection.  That said, are there typical reasons for objecting?  Again from planning experience, people often object for reasons that are not legally valid (such as, "it will devalue my house") and these are then ignored.  So worth knowing what sort of things are legitimate.

• Platinum Member

Just a few examples :-  (these from Glass Rep)

You can state in your objection that a) it is a multi user route including 4 wheel motor vehicles, b) it has been used by motorised users unchallenged for considerable time c) it is named as a “lane” which is defined as a narrow road and should fall within the normal accepted meaning of “a road” ie for use by all groups of users including motorised.

There is no good reason stated for the application. Application made by a Henry Charles J Townley. Who is he and what's his angle?

Lives in Stroud.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

If any of you can provide any useful information on this issue can you please email it to :- 

<gloucestershireeast.rep@glass-uk.org>  (Dick Loveday)

1 hour ago, jerryg said:

You can state in your objection that a) it is a multi user route including 4 wheel motor vehicles, b) it has been used by motorised users unchallenged for considerable time c) it is named as a “lane” which is defined as a narrow road and should fall within the normal accepted meaning of “a road” ie for use by all groups of users including motorised.

There is no good reason stated for the application. Application made by a Henry Charles J Townley. Who is he and what's his angle?

Lives in Stroud.

He has written a histprical book under the name Chas Townley.  Looks like he used to be the Chair of Housing at Stroud District Council.  In May 2020 it was announced he would be the Labour candidate for Gloucestershire Police and Crime Commissioner, but I can't see his name in the election resilts.

This is gona be a real silly question but where do u object ..? 
I can’t seem to see a link or form ? Or am I missing something? 

• Platinum Member

Hi John,

Send an email to < modificationorders@gloucestershire.gov.uk > quoting < GCC Application reference: 573/11/29(17) > in subject heading.

(this refers to Daws Lane, Bisley, Nr Stroud, and an Application to downgrade to a 'Restricted Byway'. 

You should receive an acknowledgement straight away.

• Platinum Member

Email sent in. JFYI

Dear Asset Data Officer ( Highways records ) 

I would like to register my objection to the above mentioned application to down grade what is currently a multi user track, with the inclusion of motorised vehicles. 

This route has been utilised by motorised vehicles and has been unchallenged for a considerable length of time, and is even called Daws Lane, Lane by its very definition is a narrow road, it is detailed in the application as having a minimum useable width of 3m which is also in keeping with the New Roads and Streetworks Act. 

There is no good reason provided as part of the application, for the desire to downgrade and the route does not run adjacent to buildings etc: so I fail to see what could be given as a substantive argument for this. Other than a single individual’s personal agenda. 

Acknowledgement received straight away. 

• Platinum Member

Just received the below email FYI

Dear Sir,

I acknowledge receipt of your objection to the Daws Lane Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO) application.  Your comments will be taken into account when investigation of this application is commenced; please note that it is likely to be several years before the application is determined given current levels of resourcing.

All DMMOs are determined on the basis of whether certain rights exist; should the evidence indicate that motor vehicle rights subsist over this way then an order would be published accordingly.  Determination decisions are not made on the basis of such factors as suitability, loss of amenity or any perceived environmental effects.

For information, this way is also recorded on the County Council’s list of streets.

I hope this helps to answer your concerns. 

Jaci Harris

Asset Data Officer (DMMO Team, Highway Records)

Highway Records

Gloucestershire County Council

• Platinum Member

I had the same email reply as well. There's only a 6 week window to object, but then it may take years to come to a decision! Priceless.

(The applicant is well known in Stroud, Labour Councillor, possible links with Ramblers Association?, and was a candidate for P&CC position last time round.) Not that any of that is relevant! Tsk..

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
On 03/01/2022 at 19:54, jerryg said:

Lives in Stroud.

very late to the Party on this but good to see us all getting organised re Green Lane Access.  Disappointed I missed it only seeing this thread this morning.

Mr Townley is listed as currently being Director of Stroud and District Homes Foundation Ltd.  It also says he is retired.

Another site provides the information about where he retired from.  He is listed as an Officer of the “Gloucestershire Market Towns Forum” and held that role from  2004/10/21 to 2007/04/18.  His entry on that lists him as “Local Government Officer”.

He is also listed as a past Director of:-

Cohousing Company Stroud Ltd.

Chas Townley Ltd

Source - Opencorporates. “the open database for the corporate world.