40k Service

Chris85

• Platinum Member

Afternoon all

Need to get my 40K service booked in soon. What’s the average cost expected for this on a 2018 JL?

Cheers all,

• Platinum Member

Are you in any way mechanically minded? If out of warranty > DIY.  If not DIY then good local garage, preferably Jeep knowledgeable, but not dealer. Get quotes first. Others may know but I would suggest < £200 for basic service?

• Platinum Member

Further thoughts. When is it due for MOT? Pick a MOT station that does servicing as well etc. Book in for service & MOT together. Might get a discount. Then you get a thorough safety check which is most part of a service, plus service items. (mark oil filter to check it has been changed, mark sump plug to check it has been removed and/or replaced. Any other items due for change at service, mark them and/or ask to see old bits. Doesn't always prove they've done it but keeps them on their toes! 

Check service schedule for your particular vehicle and see if there are any bits you can do yourself? Change windscreen wipers, change air filter, cabin/pollen filter if easy to get at etc. Or get friendly knowledgeable neighbour to help.

(I was charged £5 to top up washer bottle, (on a different car) even though I'd filled it up to the brim the night before! After a bit of negotiating, well threats, they removed charge! Dealer again!)

Even if under warranty any VAT registered garage can do your service, in accordance with manufacturers recommendations, and not affect warranty. Keep receipts.

My own thoughts based on 50 + years of diy servicing and repairs, new cars and old. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Have to support Jerry's point of view. over a similar period of time. 

One of my cars is dealer serviced because of the terms of the warranty. I just do it again each year!   I mark things just like Jerry.

Take the air cleaner I marked and dated it 4.5yrs ago . I replaced it when I first  bought the 'FSH' car because it was dirty (it had just been 'serviced' by the supplying dealer too!).  I replace it every year but when the car goes in for service ,I put in the first one I bought!  So far it  has never been changed by anyone but me and comes back with the old marked one which I replace with a new !!!!  LOL!