Newbie alert!

Jack_st

• Platinum Member

Hi all, 

just joined I have a 2013 Jeep GC based in Andover Hampshire, I’ve had the GC for just over a year and love every minute of it. I’d love to tackle Salisbury plain. But I’m a complete novice. I’ve done some byways but to scared to scratch it lol….. it’s my daily driver and currently running summer tyres 75D7BBF3-EC22-45F3-8AC6-F1A3A722B058.thumb.jpeg.84b4f20f73fccb0f4f66e975a9244c34.jpeg905489C1-FCCE-4E69-9650-78059BE2AE0E.thumb.jpeg.05f862a89d8f0fc99f2584b689aeee5c.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the club. Nice Grand Cherokee.

summer tyres in the dry and dusty months could as you have handle the byways. The wet parts and this time of year would not be good on summers. 

Hope to see you at an event in 2022! 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Hi and a very warm welcome to the club 👋

Very nice GC👍

Would second what Volant165 has said about tyres, under conditions at the moment summer tyres wouldn't be able to cope

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to get your pride and joy scratched, most people are of the same thinking so your not alone.

Salisbury Plain is an amazing place to visit at any time of year but at the moment is very wet - that is a lot of fun too 😜 and the open Plains are a great place to learn new skills and improve existing ones. It will also teach you the limets of both yourself and your Jeep, but it would be advisable to have All Terrain tyres as a minimum. It is also not the type of area to try solo as getting stuck is very possible 👍

Also due to the Plains being very wet and muddy, and you having a very nice - very white GC a pressure washer can be a must too 🤣

Hope to meet up with you at an event in 2022

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Hi and a very warm welcome to the club 👋

Very nice GC👍

Would second what Volant165 has said about tyres, under conditions at the moment summer tyres wouldn't be able to cope

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to get your pride and joy scratched, most people are of the same thinking so your not alone.

Salisbury Plain is an amazing place to visit at any time of year but at the moment is very wet - that is a lot of fun too 😜 and the open Plains are a great place to learn new skills and improve existing ones. It will also teach you the limets of both yourself and your Jeep, but it would be advisable to have All Terrain tyres as a minimum. It is also not the type of area to try solo as getting stuck is very possible 👍

Also due to the Plains being very wet and muddy, and you having a very nice - very white GC a pressure washer can be a must too 🤣

Hope to meet up with you at an event in 2022

@Jack_st I would second that pressure washer advice.

This is Tuesday's trip to Salisbury Plains. Before and during the day shots. I'm actually cleaning my Jeep today, weather permitting 🙂

PhotoGrid_Plus_1640847186704.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Thank you all for the welcome and advice. I have currently got a money pot for better tyres as you can imagine there not cheap for 20inch rims lol…. Trust me I’m not worried in get it muddy 😉 I may pop down to meet you all before you head off on the plain 👍

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Nice to see another 2013 white GC in the club. 

if it’s any help, when I was running the 20’s I found the General Grabber AT3 really nice on the road and quiet. Not to bad price wise either. 

Just a thought though if your air suspension like mine, and want to do quite a bit off road. I found the ride quite harsh off road so after buying the new tyres for the 20’s ended up changed to 18’s just so I can de air a bit off road and another set of tyres. 😆

Enjoy, great fun vehicle. 

• Platinum Member

Hi Mike, cheers for the info! Mines just clocked on to 100k 🙂 I do a lot quite a bit of towing so the tyres you mentioned sound just right. I’ll have a look into it. Also quick question my rear wiper motor has packed up and I can only seem to get one from the states. Do you know anywhere in the uk I can get one? 

• Platinum Member

Hi Jack,

Have you tried to run a 12V supply direct from the battery before replacing the actual wiper motor?

If it works that way it's just the relay that needs replacing.

• Platinum Member

I do a lot of miles as well, mines now at 127k, the generals were good I had done about 30k on them, and had loads of tread left. 

Havent needed a rear wiper motor, but I have used autodoc.co.uk, and Chrysler breakers.co.uk for some of the parts I have needed, might be worth a try. 

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Jack_st said:

Hi Mike, cheers for the info! Mines just clocked on to 100k 🙂 I do a lot quite a bit of towing so the tyres you mentioned sound just right. I’ll have a look into it. Also quick question my rear wiper motor has packed up and I can only seem to get one from the states. Do you know anywhere in the uk I can get one? 

Try eBay, second car parts 👍👍👍👍

• Platinum Member

If you do have to go to the US to get parts and use RockAuto (who generally seem excellent for replacement parts, rather than upgrades) I think there is still a club discount code active for them.