Sources for replacement wheels

UKTJ

• Platinum Member

I am considering whether to change my wheels or not and have had a bit of a  trawl online.  There seems very limited choice for wheels for a Wrangler TJ (5x114.3 lug pattern).  Does anyone have any recommendations for places they have used or know of?

Thanks in advance.

• Platinum Member

Try 4x4 Tyres (& wheels) at Bidford on Avon. (4x4tyres.co.uk - they might have moved location now?) Other suppliers available!

Got a set of 16 inch steels (+ tyres), a few years ago. 5x114.3 stud pattern. No probs!

• Platinum Member

Hi UKTJ,

Can I ask a couple of questions first?

What size/diameter rim are your wheels?

Why do you want to change? Is it just because of tyre choice?

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, digger said:

Hi UKTJ,

Can I ask a couple of questions first?

What size/diameter rim are your wheels?

Why do you want to change? Is it just because of tyre choice?

Hi Digger

Yes, it is all about a change in tyres once I get around to the suspension lift.  I currently run the stock wheel for my 2002 (called an Icon I believe) which has 5.25" of backspace, on that I have 225/75/16 tyres (about 29 x 9") tyres.  After the suspension lift (with the existing body lift) I hope to be able to run 285/75/16 (about 33 x 11.5").  My online research suggests that the widst tyre I can run in my to be' situation is a 10.5" and even that may require a washer or two on the sterring stops to avoid the tyre rubbing.  That 10.5" tyre on a 5.25" backspace wheel results in the tyre projecting 7" inwards from the mounting surface.  An 11.5" wide tyre would project 7.5" inwards, which would no doubt rub, so I need to move the whole tyre / wheel outwards to allow for the tyre's width.  As far as I can see I have two choices, a spacer or new wheels.  If I add a 1" spaer to my current wheel that moves everything across 1" and reduces the 'inward projection' to 6.5".  But in that scenario I am mounting the tyre to a 7" wheel, where the recommended minimum width for that tyre is 7.5".  Alternatively I could buy new 8" wide wheels with less backspacing, one option is a 4.5" backspacing, this results in the 'inward projection' being 6.25".  I do not want to take the backspacing down too much as for every inch I reduce the 'inward projection' the projection outwards increases by an inch.  I want to avoid too much 'poke' of tyre outside the fender flare.

In an effort to make that clearer I did the attached drawings for each of the situations I described above.

Tyres.thumb.png.3b6dd07a82babba9bf625a3e0c67c9f2.png

I am therefore looking to find wheel options for 5x114.3, ideally at 8" wide with about 4.5" of backspace.  Both 4x4 Tyres and Tyres direct do a steel wheel in that size.  North Hants Tyres sell American Racing wheels, which include a couple of options in the size I am looking for (eg AR172 or AR62).  Other than those I am not finding much elase, hence my question.