Poor dealer experience on safety recall

UKTJ

• Platinum Member

In addition to my TJ, my wife has a 2016 Grand Cherokee.  She recently had a safety recall notice relating to 2014 - 17 models to do with an issue with the crankshaft sensor.  The letter tells her if not fixed this can cause crashes without warning, so she has been keen to get it fixed.

She contacted our local dealer, WLMG Reading, and was told today she could get the work done today.  When they service her car they usually come and collect it or provide a courtesy car, so she asked about this.  No they would not collect.  If she wanted a courtesy car she could not have the issue fixed until late January and she would have to pay £25 for the courtesy car - so more a hire car than a courtesy car.  She was disappointed with the response but as the letter said the fix would only take half an hour she said she would just wait.  Nope, dealer said they needed her car by 10am and she could not pick it up until 4pm.

Very unimpressed.  They are very unlikely to get any future business, if that means not getting the Jeep serviced by a main dealer then so be it.  I would certainly not buy another Jeep from them.

• Platinum Member
46 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

In addition to my TJ, my wife has a 2016 Grand Cherokee.  She recently had a safety recall notice relating to 2014 - 17 models to do with an issue with the crankshaft sensor.  The letter tells her if not fixed this can cause crashes without warning, so she has been keen to get it fixed.

She contacted our local dealer, WLMG Reading, and was told today she could get the work done today.  When they service her car they usually come and collect it or provide a courtesy car, so she asked about this.  No they would not collect.  If she wanted a courtesy car she could not have the issue fixed until late January and she would have to pay £25 for the courtesy car - so more a hire car than a courtesy car.  She was disappointed with the response but as the letter said the fix would only take half an hour she said she would just wait.  Nope, dealer said they needed her car by 10am and she could not pick it up until 4pm.

Very unimpressed.  They are very unlikely to get any future business, if that means not getting the Jeep serviced by a main dealer then so be it.  I would certainly not buy another Jeep from them.

It seems that we have all experienced issues with Jeep dealerships - great cars, good brand with a very poor service network... they are not heap cars either...

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I've had a similar experience with other brands on recalls. The manufacturer is paying the dealer for the work and they have fine tuned the fix process down to the nearest minute. There is not much profit in it for the dealer. When they require an entire workday for a half hour job it is because they are doing the recall work between other paying jobs, like when the mechanic is waiting for fluids to drain on another car being worked on.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

It is hard when in todays day and age the bar is set. Regardless of brand, owners need to be treated at a level commensurate with current reasonable levels let alone levels previously set by the same dealer. A great opportunity to keep additional aftersales spend in the network that gets spoiled.

I will say that I am hearing about the current staffing struggles across the board, not just at Jeep. My concern is that as Jeep try to move up the food chain with the introduction of models more expensive than Trackhawks, the customer expectations will increase more than the retail price. I do hope that Peugeot have a plan in place😆

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

I get the likely reasons and probable current challenges.  But having spent a lot of money (to us anyway) on a car we get told "sorry, that car we sold you has a fault, one that could put you and others at risk", OK stuff happens.  What I do not then expect to be told is "you need to get it fixed, and even though it was our fault, it is you who has to do it how we want even if it inconveniences you".  I could understand if they can't collect, I could understand not getting a courtesy car for a while (though not having to pay for one as that is not a courtesy car, it is a hire car).  But in a situation where that is the case I would expect them to do the work in the 30 minute window Jeep says the work will take so my wife can wait and then take the car away.

As I said, it will likely cost them all our future business for service and may well mean my wife chooses something other than a Jeep for her next car.  But that is the future and sadly these days it seems nobody things beyond the end of the current quarter.

Edited by UKTJ

When I followed this up on the FCA website, there did appear to be an option to claim expenses if the work was done elsewhere, though, since this is a software fix, no-one else will be able to do it. I was wondering if I could claim travel expenses (probably about £500 with accommodation and subsistence thrown in)

A recently discovered facebook page ( "Jeep Grand Cherokee – UK"), has an account of someone who insisted that Jeep replace the faulty part, since it had actually failed whilst in use, and eventually got them to do it, as well as pay for it. Worth a look if you have a WK2 of that vintage.

This problem has been known about for several years, and there has been much discussion on an Australian FB page.

I'm saving it all up for next spring, when I'll get a service, including gearbox oil/filter change, and perhaps an update of the sat-nav maps, as well as the crankshaft sensor fix. 

Edited by Gerald F
rogue spell-checker!
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

I think Jeep messed up by setting your expectation for the job to be completed in 30 minutes. If they had told you at the beginning that they need the car for a day to do the job perhaps the situation would be different.

You could try another dealer and start the conversation with "I need a 30 minute while-I-wait appointment for a recall fix on my Jeep".

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, V said:

I think Jeep messed up by setting your expectation for the job to be completed in 30 minutes. If they had told you at the beginning that they need the car for a day to do the job perhaps the situation would be different.

You could try another dealer and start the conversation with "I need a 30 minute while-I-wait appointment for a recall fix on my Jeep".

I disagree, if it is a 30 minute job Jeep were acting appropriately by trying to minimise the inconvenience to the customer by saying it could be done in 30 minutes.  But the work was done today with my daughter doing two round trips to pick up and drop off my wife, so water under the bridge.  Chances are it is the last time we will visit the dealer for service or purchase, not like there aren't other options.

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, UKTJ said:

I disagree, if it is a 30 minute job Jeep were acting appropriately by trying to minimise the inconvenience to the customer by saying it could be done in 30 minutes.

I agree, that was the most likely intention of the author of the recall notice. Only Jeep and the dealership will know if their contractual relationship with each other gives Jeep the right to dictate how long a job appointment is in addition to setting the paid labour time for the job. I think you should write a letter to both Jeep UK customer service and the dealership to let them know how you feel about your experience. I am sure Jeep's Customer Experience executive will be very interested particularly if it has soured your opinion of the brand enough to walk away.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, V said:

I agree, that was the most likely intention of the author of the recall notice. Only Jeep and the dealership will know if their contractual relationship with each other gives Jeep the right to dictate how long a job appointment is in addition to setting the paid labour time for the job. I think you should write a letter to both Jeep UK customer service and the dealership to let them know how you feel about your experience. I am sure Jeep's Customer Experience executive will be very interested particularly if it has soured your opinion of the brand enough to walk away.

I think the suggestion of a letter to Jeep UK is a good one.  I am certainly not inclined to use the local dealer again, but I do rather fancy trying to get my wife to agree to a JL for her next car 😉