Salisbury Plains end of January '22

Volant165

37 minutes ago, Caroline12 said:

My raised Renegade has no problem with water or scratches ???? On the plain, it does mean being sensible and going around the obstacles???? Don’t see a problem. 
I have backed out several times and lived to tell the tale. Most of what I have seen is absolutely fine. You don’t have to go into mega deep water or sinking mud ????? 

just be sensible !!!! Or use common sense 👍

Many of the tracks that we will use will have overgrown hedge rows and will be potentially tight depending on previous use or lack of, the aim is not to stay on the open plane on all the common tracks but explore a bit further and see some parts not always used by the masses. I don’t envisage any huge issue on that front but we must pre-warn people to expect it or prepare for it as in the past we have had people coming on the trip and not being very happy when they have come home with scratches et cetera.

In regards to water many of the tracks can get very waterlogged with 2 1/2 to 3 foot water sitting in places. Even on some of the more sedate tracks that in autumn/spring are dry. Two years ago I took a group with two WK grand Cherokee’s both with 2 inch lifts, both had issues with pulling water into the airbox and we spent four hours decontaminating turbo injectors et cetera et cetera, thankfully I managed to get both running again and apart from a MAF sensor no real harm done. If we get a lot of rain over the Christmas period and early January people must be prepared for this, of course we don’t want anybody to damage their vehicle and will where possible forge a way around obstacles that people are uncomfortable with where possible, of course we’ll be testing the depths etc as we go …..But of course our recommendation is to go prepared. Any of those have been on previous visits to the plane with me over the years will confirm that we see much more than typical people use of the Plains if there aren’t any restrictions on them.

if you have a vehicle that has a lift and a decent set of a AT or Mud tyres i’m sure This wouldn’t be an issue and we can work around any serious waterThis wouldn’t be an issue and we can work around any serious water

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

That's really helpful, thanks.

As a bit of a 'noob' can I ask what is meant by "water protection"? Is that a snorkel or are there other forms it can take?  If there are relatively easy mods I can make in advance it would be good to know before the Xmas break, as I will have free time between Xmas and New Year.

With a stock TJ as in decent tires you shouldn’t have any issues, air intake is the high up so should be fine mate

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

I think you are putting the frighteners on things, that don’t need to be. 
Is it a trip on the plain or mess your Jeep up, because that’s what I’m reading or HARDCORE JEEPING ONLY
if that is the attitude, I won’t even try and get my call-out duty moved, because im not interested in that type of trip. 

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
39 minutes ago, Chrisby said:

With a stock TJ as in decent tires you shouldn’t have any issues, air intake is the high up so should be fine mate

@Chrisby currently there are 5 interested Renegades: 2 heavily modded Trailhawks, 1 Trailhawk with just a 1.5 inch lift kit and AT tyres (correct me if I am wrong @Caroline12), 1 Trailhawk with 1.5 inch lifting springs and AT tyres and 1 Limited with AT tyres. Are you saying that the routes you will be choosing none of these will be able drive because of clearance issues?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caroline12 said:

I think you are putting the frighteners on things, that don’t need to be. 
Is it a trip on the plain or mess your Jeep up, because that’s what I’m reading or HARDCORE JEEPING ONLY
if that is the attitude, I won’t even try and get my call-out duty moved, because im not interested in that type of trip. 

I not quite sure what you mean by putting the frighteners on this, I have over 25 years experience driving on the plains and the route we are planning on doing will have inherent risk which I prefer to highlight before the fact especially due to the time of year were are planning, Please take a look at the video I posted and search the forum for thread on previous trips and you will see there is significant water and over grown lanes in places. Of course it is up to the driver/owner to decide if this trip is for them or not , I certainly would not call it a Hardcore trip but there will be deep ruts, mud, deep water etc and in places no alternative route apart turning around if possible.

The route will not be simple run around the main tracks around in the Bullford/ Larkhill area, we will explore the southern plains the other side of the A303 and as far east as West Woodhay/ Walbury Hill nearer to Newbury.
As I said before a vehicle with a small lift and upgrade tyres should be ok if IFS suspension, On a wrangler of any age with live axles a set of decent tyres and should be fine.

1 hour ago, Raakhee said:

@Chrisby currently there are 5 interested Renegades: 2 heavily modded Trailhawks, 1 Trailhawk with just a 1.5 inch lift kit and AT tyres (correct me if I am wrong @Caroline12), 1 Trailhawk with 1.5 inch lifting springs and AT tyres and 1 Limited with AT tyres. Are you saying that the routes you will be choosing none of these will be able drive because of clearance issues?

The routes will be mostly ok clearance wise with a small lift and a decent set of tyres on IFS vehicles and a decent set of tyre on a wrangler of any age with live axles. 

• Platinum Member

I have never driven a FCA Jeep Renegade or done any green laning with one in my group. I can only guess their capabilities based on photos and videos posted. Their owners seem quite adventurous off road.

I have driven off road a number of 2001-2012 Jeep Liberty/Cherokees and I have a reasonable expectation of what they can and can't do well. I'm guessing that an IFS Liberty/Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and Commander will have more rear axle articulation than a IFS+IRS Jeep Renegade.

If there are already five Renegades going, can they not have a route plan that is more their thing? Have another group for the overgrown areas and just start off from the same point and meet up for lunch somewhere as a big group.

• Thanks 2

• Platinum Member
32 minutes ago, V said:

I have never driven a FCA Jeep Renegade or done any green laning with one in my group. I can only guess their capabilities based on photos and videos posted. Their owners seem quite adventurous off road.

I have driven off road a number of 2001-2012 Jeep Liberty/Cherokees and I have a reasonable expectation of what they can and can't do well. I'm guessing that an IFS Liberty/Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and Commander will have more rear axle articulation than a IFS+IRS Jeep Renegade.

If there are already five Renegades going, can they not have a route plan that is more their thing? Have another group for the overgrown areas and just start off from the same point and meet up for lunch somewhere as a big group.

I ain’t sharing my hot bacon sandwiches 🥪 

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, V said:

The routes will be planned and checked out by me in my own time for the glass trip as per my original post, personally I won’t have time to plan and verify multiple trips or routes therefore all I can offer is a best fit of verified open tracks.

Given my previous comments it will be up to each member to decide whether this trip will be for them and their vehicle or not once full details of date and availability of places are posted (likely to be in the next couple of days once my January schedule is finalised)

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Just an idea...

If you have recently driven Salisbury Plains in your Renegade and you have a GPS track log, printing the track log out in map form as a PDF may help anyone planning a route known to be Renegade friendly.

This might be useful to Chrisby if 60% of his route is verified OK for all. An already proven Renegade route could be added to the 60% as an alternative. Obviously, those venturing on the alternate route would be leading themselves as Chrisby can't be in two places at one time. Perhaps, another solid axle Jeep could join them like on recent member organised trips to the Plains.

It's only worth considering alternate routes if there is a volunteer for a second group leader at this stage of the planning. If not, then stick to the original plan, planning a green lane trip is hard enough without including alternate routes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
19 hours ago, Chrisby said:

Many of the tracks that we will use will have overgrown hedge rows and will be potentially tight depending on previous use or lack of, the aim is not to stay on the open plane on all the common tracks but explore a bit further and see some parts not always used by the masses. I don’t envisage any huge issue on that front but we must pre-warn people to expect it or prepare for it as in the past we have had people coming on the trip and not being very happy when they have come home with scratches et cetera...

Just watched this video, it is not what Salisbury Plain brings to mind for me showing it is not all wide open spaces.  If this is the short of trail likely to be tackled I can certainly see what you mean about overgrown hedge rows, scratches and the inability to go around difficult spots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSklIISgKCc

Edited by UKTJ

27 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Just watched this video, it is not what Salisbury Plain brings to mind for me showing it is not all wide open spaces.  If this is the short of trail likely to be tackled I can certainly see what you mean about overgrown hedge rows, scratches and the inability to go around difficult spots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSklIISgKCc

I know the tracks they are on well, Keep in mind this is filmed in October and is very dry.
Winter rain, Snow etc changes all this and ill make the going very waterlogged and muddy. 

They are great little tracks and as you say not what people expect of the "Open Plains"

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Just so you guys know, there is a massive turnout on the Plains today due to Gritt outdoors open invitation on social media. I grabbed a video of Instagram that shows some of the turnout. There was a call for bringing along drones which is not allowed and it seems tickets were sold in advance for a charity. 

This is the profile link of you want to follow along on their stories. I'm interested to see how this turns out as we have a planned a day out tomorrow 

https://instagram.com/gritt_outdoors?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
32 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

Just so you guys know, there is a massive turnout on the Plains today due to Gritt outdoors open invitation on social media. I grabbed a video of Instagram that shows some of the turnout. There was a call for bringing along drones which is not allowed and it seems tickets were sold in advance for a charity. 

This is the profile link of you want to follow along on their stories. I'm interested to see how this turns out as we have a planned a day out tomorrow 

https://instagram.com/gritt_outdoors?utm_medium=copy_link

The SPTA wardens are keeping an eye on this event. Drones are definitely not allowed on the training area. All the hard work genuine green laners do throughout the year to promote responsible use of the byways and respect of other users has essentially gone up in flames with this outing. They’ve been promoting this an an off-roading event. This isn’t off-roading, they’re legal byways. Slindon is open today and they could have gone there. 

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 minutes ago, BlackRockRubicon said:

The SPTA wardens are keeping an eye on this event. Drones are definitely not allowed on the training area. All the hard work genuine green laners do throughout the year to promote responsible use of the byways and respect of other users has essentially gone up in flames with this outing. They’ve been promoting this an an off-roading event. This isn’t off-roading, they’re legal byways. Slindon is open today and they could have gone there. 

Idiots who are incapable of following simple rules. Doesn't need much fir the MOD to reclassify the by ways 🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

What is Gritt Outdoors?

Rather than reclassify the byways, maybe the MOD could just reclassify the live firing area while this lot are visiting.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

What is Gritt Outdoors?

Rather than reclassify the byways, maybe the MOD could just reclassify the live firing area while this lot are visiting.

All the MoD will do is reclassify the by ways and stop any civilian vehicles from driving on the Plains. In short we would all get it in the ass due to stupidity of others 

• Sad 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
12 minutes ago, anthony said:

The problem is our event will be tarred with the same brush as this one especially as its only a month away from this huge event 

It is something that will have to be thought about, BUT JOC events are much better organised with respect for the surroundings, the rules and other users taken into account. JOC would never condone a member running an event like that

• Like 6