Hello…

BlackRockRubicon

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon

Firstly, my apologies! I’ve been a member since April this year and I genuinely thought I’d posted to the club to introduce myself. It’s now evident that I hadn’t and I really should have. Sorry!

I’m Steven, the owner of Black Rock Rubicon(yes, I’ve named my Jeep, more on that later), a 2020 Punk’n Orange JLUR. I am almost certain that I follow some of you on various social channels somewhere(for those that post about their Jeep lives). It’s the second Jeep I’ve owned, having previously owned a TJ in the US. The TJ I had was set up as a TOAD behind a 35ft A Class RV which I still own and is parked in Amarillo, TX. It’s a 1986 Vogue II. I’ve traveled extensively across the US in it and spent a number of years getting to know the country and it’s inhabitants. FYI, I’m British.

I run a property maintenance company here in London(essentially, I’m a handyman with some good guys that work with me on occasion). Trying to be on the tools and manage a company can be stressful at times, so I bought my Jeep for some trail therapy and an excuse to get out of town. Besides hitting green lanes whenever I can(I’m also a member of GLASS), I also volunteer with a charity called Team Rubicon(hence my license plate and my choice of Jeep spec) where I’m an international disaster responder. I also have interests in photography, classic cars(I have a 1973 Jensen-Healey) and art construction. I build art(or rather did before the pandemic hit) at Burning Man, a arts festival near Reno, NV. The temporary city that is Burning Man is called Black Rock City, which is why my Jeep has it’s name and acts as a reminder of my time there and my little bit of the US here in the UK. 

That’s about it for now. I hope to meet you all on one of the coming Jeep meets soon. 

Steven 

0C79DC92-9B73-4701-8127-D6938B345CC4.thumb.jpeg.0f784dfa1d59ac5e28a4d917b0d099f4.jpeg

Socials

Instagram

Facebook

TikTok

Edited by BlackRockRubicon
  • Like 7

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Hi Steven and a warm welcome 👍👋

Great back story and hope to meet you next time your at one of the events 👍👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
2 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Hi Steven and a warm welcome 👍👋

Great back story and hope to meet you next time your at one of the events 👍👍

Thank you! 😌🏼

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, BlackRockRubicon said:

international disaster responder

More details please
Some pictures of you TJ would be good
And welcome to the club.

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
10 minutes ago, JimC said:

More details please
Some pictures of you TJ would be good
And welcome to the club.

Yes sir, well what would you like to know?

My TJ is in the hands of a friend of mine in Amarillo. They snapped her up(funny how jeeps do that) but I still get visitation rights when I’m there. She’s a 2002 4.0 auto.

D315C79A-1535-4A49-9DF2-31FD866F20B2.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, BlackRockRubicon said:

Team Rubicon(hence my license plate and my choice of Jeep spec) where I’m an international disaster responder

Great TJ & JL.
Any more info on Team Rubicon?

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
17 minutes ago, JimC said:

Great TJ & JL.

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
22 minutes ago, JimC said:

Great TJ & JL.

Long story short… I got involved after building a refugee camp for médecins sans frontières(MSF) in Dunkerque in 2015/2016. I happened to be in Florida when Irma struck Key West in 2017. I’d traveled down from St Pete where I was staying at the time with my Jeep and a bunch of tools. The TR guys there suggested I get involved with the U.K. franchise when I got back. I’d signed up officially in 2018 and trained ex military how to operate with a slightly less harsh approach to disaster victims. I left in 2021 due to a difference of opinion with the CEO. Misogyny doesn’t sit well with me and also he’s the reason TR doesn’t exist in the U.K. anymore. I’m still part of TR USA and TR Norway. But travel has been restricted due to covid. I still do what I can here in the U.K. whilst we’re in this pandemic. 

edited from above reply due to being an idiot. 

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

Welcome aboard. What an excellent intro. 

I've had some gr8 times over the years (many - old git now) being involved in two or three different  voluntary rescue things etc.

Look forward to seeing your rig at one of our events.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
3 hours ago, Volant165 said:

PS: My brother is volunteering for Team Rubicon to go to Kentucky to help out over the holidays 

This is good to see. They can use all the help they can get at this moment in time. FEMA has it’s uses but Team Rubicon really step up to the plate when a disaster hits both at home(the US) and abroad. FEMA weren’t exactly helpful during Irma. That EF4 tornado has wrecked unimaginable damage to KY. I wished I could have gone to help. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
3 hours ago, digger said:

Welcome aboard. What an excellent intro. 

I've had some gr8 times over the years (many - old git now) being involved in two or three different  voluntary rescue things etc.

Look forward to seeing your rig at one of our events.

Thank you. Yes, disaster response and rescue on the whole is a very worthwhile cause to get involved with. I’d wanted to take a swift water rescue course but haven’t gotten around to it. With the weather we have in the U.K. now and during the course of this pandemic, it’s needed more than ever. The last deployment I undertook was during the first lockdown in London before TR stopped operating in the U.K. I’d also self-deployed to assist rough sleepers get somewhere safe as all the homelessness charities had stopped going out. 

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
On 14/12/2021 at 14:41, BlackRockRubicon said:

Firstly, my apologies! I’ve been a member since April this year and I genuinely thought I’d posted to the club to introduce myself. It’s now evident that I hadn’t and I really should have. Sorry!

I’m Steven, the owner of Black Rock Rubicon(yes, I’ve named my Jeep, more on that later), a 2020 Punk’n Orange JLUR. I am almost certain that I follow some of you on various social channels somewhere(for those that post about their Jeep lives). It’s the second Jeep I’ve owned, having previously owned a TJ in the US. The TJ I had was set up as a TOAD behind a 35ft A Class RV which I still own and is parked in Amarillo, TX. It’s a 1986 Vogue II. I’ve traveled extensively across the US in it and spent a number of years getting to know the country and it’s inhabitants. FYI, I’m British.

I run a property maintenance company here in London(essentially, I’m a handyman with some good guys that work with me on occasion). Trying to be on the tools and manage a company can be stressful at times, so I bought my Jeep for some trail therapy and an excuse to get out of town. Besides hitting green lanes whenever I can(I’m also a member of GLASS), I also volunteer with a charity called Team Rubicon(hence my license plate and my choice of Jeep spec) where I’m an international disaster responder. I also have interests in photography, classic cars(I have a 1973 Jensen-Healey) and art construction. I build art(or rather did before the pandemic hit) at Burning Man, a arts festival near Reno, NV. The temporary city that is Burning Man is called Black Rock City, which is why my Jeep has it’s name and acts as a reminder of my time there and my little bit of the US here in the UK. 

That’s about it for now. I hope to meet you all on one of the coming Jeep meets soon. 

Steven 

0C79DC92-9B73-4701-8127-D6938B345CC4.thumb.jpeg.0f784dfa1d59ac5e28a4d917b0d099f4.jpeg

Socials

Instagram

Facebook

TikTok

You have clearly a truly interesting story - and we were just chatting the other weekend! How was the event in Wilton - I was meant to IM you as we could have met for coffee after (I had an appointment in Southampton so could not make it last Saturday - good to see that a Jeep was there - I am sure it was the preferred 4x4 (just don't tell Paul ahahah)

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
24 minutes ago, MGomes said:

Of course it was. Haha! Both children and adults always love a Jeep. LRs not so much. I’m thankful for Jurassic Park, as it’s raised the profile of Jeeps tremendously here in the U.K. Although I will say this, it’s becoming tiresome explaining that I’m nothing to do with the Rubicon drinks company. Hahaha! Yes, it was good thanks. It was nice to see where the group had been raising money for. Wilton RDA is a very worthwhile cause. Both the kids and the horses get a lot from the centre.

Afterwards, I ended off on AMES 12(south of the A303) giving my Mavic Pro a run out. I’ve had the drone for 4 years and hardly used it. I uploaded a video to the group, if it’s not been buried and there’s a copy on the Jeep’s Instagram if you want a look. Would have been good to have met for a coffee.

That Sunday we were out, it was bugging me all day as to why your jeep’s clearance was more. I thought I’d been short changed by the dealership and they’d swapped my suspension out for a Sahara one. Nice to see you have a lift on yours and you can go straight for larger tyres. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
30 minutes ago, BlackRockRubicon said:

Of course it was. Haha! Both children and adults always love a Jeep. LRs not so much. I’m thankful for Jurassic Park, as it’s raised the profile of Jeeps tremendously here in the U.K. Although I will say this, it’s becoming tiresome explaining that I’m nothing to do with the Rubicon drinks company. Hahaha! Yes, it was good thanks. It was nice to see where the group had been raising money for. Wilton RDA is a very worthwhile cause. Both the kids and the horses get a lot from the centre.

Afterwards, I ended off on AMES 12(south of the A303) giving my Mavic Pro a run out. I’ve had the drone for 4 years and hardly used it. I uploaded a video to the group, if it’s not been buried and there’s a copy on the Jeep’s Instagram if you want a look. Would have been good to have met for a coffee.

That Sunday we were out, it was bugging me all day as to why your jeep’s clearance was more. I thought I’d been short changed by the dealership and they’d swapped my suspension out for a Sahara one. Nice to see you have a lift on yours and you can go straight for larger tyres. 

Very pleased on my "free lift" ahahahah - I have seen your video - its great!!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Steve

We have chatted a bit on Instagram as well. Thanks for the directions to find the tank on Salisbury Plains.

Hope to see you at some of the JOC events.

20211127_112250.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
BlackRockRubicon
1 hour ago, Raakhee said:

Hi Steve

We have chatted a bit on Instagram as well. Thanks for the directions to find the tank on Salisbury Plains.

Hope to see you at some of the JOC events.

20211127_112250.jpg

You’re welcome, glad I could help! 😌

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Steve, I should say that the majority of my rescue experience has been in Cave Rescue not in a Jeep but there it is.  

• Like 2