Which GPS device?

Deniz

Hi all,

We are planning a 1 month trip to Spain and Portugal next year around spring and wondering what kind of GPS device or maybe something completely different people are using. We don't want to rely on mobile coverege since it might be an issue. I was using Garmin BaseCamp to create the route but I'd like to hear what other Jeepers are using either for route creation and navigation.

Thanks

• Platinum Member

Hi Deniz

Guru Maps Pro app for iPad 

iPads with gps that is. We drove the Pyrenees from Les to Andorra.

No SIM card or phone signal needed.

Ram mount for windscreen.

Great for domestic lanes too! 38A7527C-9FD8-4BA5-9EE8-52243A4E81AE.png

Jim O.

• Like 1

I do use garmin explore , Memory-Map, motion-x on a iPad … 

memory map covers uk & France 

garmin and motion x cover the rest of the world but u need to download tiles for close up lanes 

• Platinum Member

Being a tight git, I use Navmii on my iPhone and iPad which has GPS. It will get you from A to B using all standard roads but is no good for going off piste.
Free to download which I think includes UK maps and around £5 for other country road maps.
It done me good when I lived in the Netherlands.

Available from the usual app stores.

Thanks a lot guys. Seems like gps apps are most people use 🙂 Based on my investigations many people are using ipad. I'll focus my investigations around ipad and android tablets now 🙂 hehehehe. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

We have used the TomTom camper version as we tow a 26' caravan that is 8' wide and the TT has been excellent in France and also Spain.  It has got us to the camping site using the best route.

• Platinum Member

Ordnance Survey do an annual subscription (£25) to 'OS Maps' online mapping. They also do a free Android and iOS app that enables you to download the map tiles for routes that you create. I have used it for hiking and it works well. I would certainly use it on a tablet in my Jeep. The only downside is that you have to create your route waypoints online first and then download your saved routes to your device.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have an old copy of "Forever Maps" on an iPad, which seems to have every track on most of the European maps. The tracks in the Pyrenées from Andorra, to places like Tor, for instance. We also used it in Morocco, where it had detail down to street names in Erfoud (as small village on the edge of the desert). I haven't been able to find a new version, but the maps are still on the internet. The company is called "Skobbler". Worth a look if you can find an Android version, I think.

Gerald

Edited by Gerald F
  • Like 1