Tyres, Tyres, Tyres....

Chris85

• Platinum Member

Morning all

Im soon going to be needing two new rear tyres on our JL and thought id use this time to look at options.

1. Do I just replace the two tyres with the same brand already on the rest of the jeep (Stock tyres and wheels)

2. Do we use this opportunity to upgrade to larger tyres which is something we've been discussing for a while...?

From what I have been told, the largest tyre we can fit on the JL without any modifications and without restricting movement is a 285 70 r17 . 

I hear lots of people raving about the BFG KM3 tyre but seems a little pricey (especially when we're looking at getting 5....)

I use my JL as my daily driver, so spend quite a bit of time on normal roads, however most weekends we like to get out and explore local lanes and byways.

From looking online ive heard good things about the Yokohama Geolander G003 tyres but cannot find anyone with experience of these in the UK on a 4dr JL.

Would greately appreciate some thoughts on this.

Cheers, 

Chris 

• Platinum Member

Oh definitely upgrade the tyres to bigger ones! Needing to replace two of them is a heaven sent excuse! 

At 285/70R17 on a JL Rubicon with no lift and for a reasonable price I'd go for Cooper STT Pros or Toyo open Country's for MT or if you want to go AT, I have Radar Renegade AT5s for my winter tyres which I have been very pleased with and they are not too expensive either.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, TimC said:

Oh definitely upgrade the tyres to bigger ones! Needing to replace two of them is a heaven sent excuse! 

At 285/70R17 on a JL Rubicon with no lift and for a reasonable price I'd go for Cooper STT Pros or Toyo open Country's for MT or if you want to go AT, I have Radar Renegade AT5s for my winter tyres which I have been very pleased with and they are not too expensive either.

Thanks for the response Tim.

How have you found the STTs in terms of ware? 

I just put a set of general grabber x3,s on mine … 

I was very pleased with the last set so went with them again 

just to throw a 2p,s worth in 🤪

• Platinum Member

So in my mind I have three tyre options...

1. Yokohama Geolander G003

2. Cooper STT

3. Toyo Open Country

Im siding more with the Yokohama based on price and reviews, but not seen anyone in the UK with these installed on their jeep.

quite a few threads on here about different tyre / wheel options.  Ultimately its going to boil down to:

• what you're willing to spend
  • the look / on-road ride / off-road  capability
  • wear (although all MT's i've had are much longer wearing than premium tyres for cars)

i think JL's / JK's are comparable other than the size that fits stock in the wheel arch

I'd go for the Toyo's from your shortlist and probably will go for those or nitto grapplers when my KM3's eventually wear out in 2030...

• Platinum Member

There's more than just me on JOC who have had some of the bigger names but prefer Maxxis out of all tried. I use bighorn 764s. As good as any others I've used off road along with lower noise on road with good manners too!

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep

The Toyo open country MT is a great tyre but having recently switched to KM3s, the BFG is definitely a smoother and quieter ride. It’s a lighter tyre too but with the heavier aftermarket wheels evens up about the same. The toyo looks quite a bit bigger than some

others due to quite a square shoulder. The KM3 has a more rounded shoulder which looks a bit smaller (in the same size). 

• Platinum Member
48 minutes ago, Black_box_jeep said:

The Toyo open country MT is a great tyre but having recently switched to KM3s, the BFG is definitely a smoother and quieter ride. It’s a lighter tyre too but with the heavier aftermarket wheels evens up about the same. The toyo looks quite a bit bigger than some

others due to quite a square shoulder. The KM3 has a more rounded shoulder which looks a bit smaller (in the same size). 

Having seen a JL recently on the Toyo MTs they are a very straight shoulder indeed. My issue with the BFGs is stretching to £250+ a tyre, which when getting 5, makes it a very expensive venture. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I’ve had toyo open country m/t and found them great,also had supplied by Alex at Buzz a set of falken wildpeak m/t which were a very good tyre as well.

• Platinum Member
On 22/11/2021 at 12:05, Chris85 said:

Thanks for the response Tim.

How have you found the STTs in terms of ware? 

Wear on the STT Pros was OK. I think they may be a relatively soft compound, they took quite a battering off road and did get a few chunks out of them, more so that than actual tread wear. I know someone who had them on his Commander and he reckoned they did wear quicker than he expected, he's gone to Toyos now, i've gone to BFG. Which is not to say either of us was unhappy with the STT Pros.....sometimes just nice to have a change.

• Platinum Member
On 22/11/2021 at 15:06, Chris85 said:

2. Cooper STT

3. Toyo Open Country

Im siding more with the Yokohama based on price and reviews, but not seen anyone in the UK with these installed on their jeep.

Not seen the Yokohama Geolander MT on anything either, it seems to get mixed reviews Geolandar MT 003. We had Yokohama Geolander highway tyres on Mrs TimCs Cherokee KJ I always thought they seemed to wear pretty quickly but otherwise were OK. 

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member
8 hours ago, Black_box_jeep said:

BFGs are notoriously undersize compared to the claimed diameter.

• Platinum Member
On 22/11/2021 at 15:06, Chris85 said:

2. Cooper STT

3. Toyo Open Country

Does the Toyo Open Country come in 285/70/17, I have only seen them in 285/75/17?

• Platinum Member
22 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

You can say that again 😂

• Platinum Member
15 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Does the Toyo Open Country come in 285/70/17, I have only seen them in 285/75/17?

Really? Are you sure it’s not the other way round? I could get them in 285/70r17 but the only tyre I could find in 285/75r17 was the BFG KM3 (which, as you say, is actually about 3/4” smaller than the spec would suggest 😳

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

There has been quite a shortage of tyre /size choice recently, with COVID, Brexit, a worldwide shortage of containers and shortages of dockside warehouse space all contributing 

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, TimC said:

Really? Are you sure it’s not the other way round? I could get them in 285/70r17 but the only tyre I could find in 285/75r17 was the BFG KM3 (which, as you say, is actually about 3/4” smaller than the spec would suggest 😳

Apologies, it was a 285/75/16 I saw, not a 17.

According to the Toyo website the only sizes for a 17" wheel are:

265/65

265/70

295/17

35/12.5

40/13.5

Edit: for some reason I do not seem to be able to paste the URL for the relevant page into my post 🤔

Edited by UKTJ

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Apologies, it was a 285/75/16 I saw, not a 17.

According to the Toyo website the only sizes for a 17" wheel are:

265/65

265/70

295/17

35/12.5

40/13.5

Edit: for some reason I do not seem to be able to paste the URL for the relevant page into my post 🤔

Ha ha’ touché, also apologies, when I was looking at the Toyos it was 295/70r17 NOT 285/70r17. Still surprises me a bit as 285/70r17 seems to be such a common size option.

• Platinum Member
20 minutes ago, TimC said:

Ha ha’ touché, also apologies, when I was looking at the Toyos it was 295/70r17 NOT 285/70r17. Still surprises me a bit as 285/70r17 seems to be such a common size option.

LOL

But bottom line is 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country is not an option for the OP.

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep
14 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Yep, that’s why I had to do loads of research and measuring of actual tyres to ensure the diameter remained similar when switching from 275/70/18 TOYO MT to 285/75/17 KM3. (The 75 is not a UK a spec size for some reason but I got some from Europe.)

I looked at all the options in an effort to not pay over £200 a tyre but couldn’t find the size/ spec and look I wanted without getting close enough to the BFG price to in the end say “blow it”

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep
13 hours ago, TimC said:

The 285/75/17 measures up at 32” 7/8 at around 33psi on the ground, if it helps.

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, Tony said:

I’ve had toyo open country m/t and found them great,also had supplied by Alex at Buzz a set of falken wildpeak m/t which were a very good tyre as well.

I’ve also got fallen wildpeak on my renegade, I’m very happy with the tyre. 

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Black_box_jeep said:

Yep, that’s why I had to do loads of research and measuring of actual tyres to ensure the diameter remained similar when switching from 275/70/18 TOYO MT to 285/75/17 KM3. (The 75 is not a UK a spec size for some reason but I got some from Europe.)

I looked at all the options in an effort to not pay over £200 a tyre but couldn’t find the size/ spec and look I wanted without getting close enough to the BFG price to in the end say “blow it”

LOL, same here!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I was running the KM3 from new and the hum was terrible on the roads, now on KO3's and happy.  I was running 315/70/17 on my stock JTR with no issues (now 1.5" levelling kit).  Do use a Tazer or similar to recalibrate for the taller tyre.

Edited by jeepstertim