Toby G

• Platinum Member

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Wrangler Sahara TJ which I’ve owned for a dozen years, been battling frame rust for the last 5 and I’ve finally lost the battle!

I brought a second hand frame but it also has a few rust issues, so currently trying to decide between repairing this frame, buying a new one or, something I really don’t want to face, scraping my Jeep .

Really hoping this Jeep community can give me some great advice and I can get my Jeep back on the road. My mechanical skills and budget are limited, am I crazy to be considering doing a frame swap myself?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Toby

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, Toby G said:

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Wrangler Sahara TJ which I’ve owned for a dozen years, been battling frame rust for the last 5 and I’ve finally lost the battle!

I brought a second hand frame but it also has a few rust issues, so currently trying to decide between repairing this frame, buying a new one or, something I really don’t want to face, scraping my Jeep .

Really hoping this Jeep community can give me some great advice and I can get my Jeep back on the road. My mechanical skills and budget are limited, am I crazy to be considering doing a frame swap myself?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Toby

Hi Toby and very warm welcome to the club 👋👍

Can't help you with your question but there are a lot of TJ owners on here who will be able to give you some sage advice 👍

• Platinum Member

I have one of those, I must be luck no rust at all!!

A chassis is about £2300 new, secondhand ones can be had for £800 plus or cheaper option is to repair.  Replacing the chassis will cost money and time but not impossible to do at home with a bit of help, there are several you tube clips.  The other option is to start welding, again you tube is the place for tj welding tips!  You could ask on local 4x4 Facebook  sites if they have a keen welder who could help? 

Has to be worth the time and effort, they are not making any more!

Best of luck

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

so you can buy frame sections from the US somewhere like https://www.rustbusterframeworks.com/shop/pc/home.asp

You can then find someone to do the work for you 

I need to do the same as ive broken my TJ. i would love to buy a new chassis from Throttle down kustoms but theyre running to approx £6000 delivered!

https://throttledownkustoms.com/c-1402116-frames-tj.html

Or if you give up completly- sell me the frame!  lol

Where are you based? I can pm you a place i will use for my frame welding

Edited by doodle
link
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

if i had the proper space i would love to do a tear down on mine and/ or swap out to a new frame- i just dont have it or a garden big enough to drop a tent in!

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Would be interested to know where I can get a new frame for less than 2,500.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, doodle said:

if i had the proper space i would love to do a tear down on mine and/ or swap out to a new frame- i just dont have it or a garden big enough to drop a tent in!

Same, just another problem I need to work out if I’m going to do it myself!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

My mistake Google showed up Land-rover when searching for Jeep!!!!!!!  Saw a couple of links for secondhand ones at reasonable prices. 

• Platinum Member
8 hours ago, otruk said:

My mistake Google showed up Land-rover when searching for Jeep!!!!!!!  Saw a couple of links for secondhand ones at reasonable prices. 

No problem I’ve done exactly the same thing when searching on Google.