My 1st Jeep - TJ 97

TjSimon97

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, doodle said:

Poison spyder defenders here! love them

Do you run the inner fenders or did you just trim the OEM fenders back?  Are they the 3" or 5"?

• Platinum Member
On 18/11/2021 at 19:46, UKTJ said:

What fenders / flares are you running on the TJ?

i think mine are poison spiders, i didnt put them on, they are very strong. much better than the cheap copies i put on the JK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
On 15/11/2021 at 21:27, JimC said:

Hi and welcome to the club and that is one lovely TJ you have.

As Trailhawk has already said, you must invest in a jet wash but please do not upset your neighbours by leaving mud on the pavement, 😂.

When it comes to how you want to modify your TJ, the first thing to do is set yourself a budget as to how much my want to spend on modifications.

Then double it...........

And then double it again...........

Seriously, you need to decide what you want to do with your TJ. You have a great looking Jeep and you can probably get away with running 31" tyres without having to worry about modifying break pipes, steering and gearing. (TJ members please correct me if I am wrong)

To protect your paintwork, you can get magnetic body panel covers which may offer you some protection from scratches but please do post any questions that you may have on here and we will try and advise you as best we can.

First thing that you need to decide is what do you want from your TJ? 
Are you looking for an off road beast which will limit your on road performance or do you want a fun truck that you can use off road but also nice to drive on road and looks great? 

Once again, welcome to the club.

@JimC - looking into some protection for the paintwork as it's black, it's going to show scratches - did you have a link to those magnetic body panels you mentioned about?

thanks, Simon 

• Platinum Member
37 minutes ago, TjSimon97 said:

did you have a link to those magnetic body panels you mentioned about?

Do a search on "jeep tj magnetic body armor" and you should be able to find full details on these panels.
Not sure if you can get them from a UK supplier but hopefully JOC members can advise on this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
On 15/11/2021 at 21:50, Black_box_jeep said:

Good to see you here Simon and congrats on the new toy! 👍🏻

And have the parts delivered to your work…lock down was a little too revealing to my wife how often a package arrived for the Jeep

• Haha 2

Unless I missed it …& some one else said it 

gearing will also change on 31’s your 0-60 will improve but 5th gear won’t be so good 

also think about what u would like to do in ya jeep …it sounds like green lanes & p& p sites then start thinking about protection , snorkel for water , maybe some skid plates , rock sliders …disconnects etc etc 

there are so many things to consider …not just wheels lifts & tires …

make your self a list … work out what you want to spend … then do what’s important to you … you will still have fun as standard …. 
The way I sort of see it …. If you had a muddy field … a standard on muds  tj would get let’s say 30ft 

one on 31’s with disconnects  would get 40’ft

one on 33’s regeared etc 50’ft 

& so on eventually they all will get stuck just further in …. Every body will still be having the same fun …( or cursing coz there up to there axels in mud and the tj on 33’s is the only one with a winch & he’s at the front 😜 ) 

john 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

So here’s a little update on my TJ - went up to Storm Jeeps last week and get me a 2.5” OME lift, Teraflex swaybar disconnects transfer case drop, 32” KM3 tyres and a borla catback exhaust. Needless to say i am a kid in a sweet shop driving it now. 

After one week of driving it around, did notice i handles as if it was stock if not slightly better due to new suspension components. 

The fuel economy on the driving home (250 miles) was roughly the same which was surprising maybe because the exhaust allowed engine to breath better.

Cruising on motorway more noisy and more thinking required to shift up and down between 4th and 5th on hills and overtaking but manageable. 

itching to get off roading now even more so. Shame the Salisbury plains outing is postponed, would have great to play around and meet you all. 

i started an instagram for my little TJ if you’re interested in following it’s: @TJsimon97. 

D7C178E0-0E0B-43A6-9EE3-F76FF2C1200F.jpeg

E16CDB29-943C-4584-9374-4BE694FAD175.jpeg

EEE3AA3F-DABC-4FC9-97E1-2D64378200CB.jpeg

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, TjSimon97 said:

So here’s a little update on my TJ - went up to Storm Jeeps last week and get me a 2.5” OME lift, Teraflex swaybar disconnects transfer case drop, 32” KM3 tyres and a borla catback exhaust. Needless to say i am a kid in a sweet shop driving it now. 

After one week of driving it around, did notice i handles as if it was stock if not slightly better due to new suspension components. 

The fuel economy on the driving home (250 miles) was roughly the same which was surprising maybe because the exhaust allowed engine to breath better.

Cruising on motorway more noisy and more thinking required to shift up and down between 4th and 5th on hills and overtaking but manageable. 

itching to get off roading now even more so. Shame the Salisbury plains outing is postponed, would have great to play around and meet you all. 

i started an instagram for my little TJ if you’re interested in following it’s: @TJsimon97. 

D7C178E0-0E0B-43A6-9EE3-F76FF2C1200F.jpeg

E16CDB29-943C-4584-9374-4BE694FAD175.jpeg

EEE3AA3F-DABC-4FC9-97E1-2D64378200CB.jpeg

Love it, love it, love it!  It looks fantastic.

But if I may, I have a whole raft of questions, as I am currently waiting on OME springs being delivered for a lift.

What springs did they put on?  Was it the 2933s on the front and the 2941s on the rear?

Did you take any measurements and do you know what lift was actually achieved front and back?

Looks like a standard OME 10mm spacer on the front spring, is there a spacer on the rear?

Unless it was done already it looks like they have dropped the transmission skid.  Were you getting vibrations, or was the drop just precautionary?  How much was it dropped?

What adjustment to bump stops did they make / how much uptravel are you getting?

Looks like new wheels for the new tyres.  Which are they (ProComp?) / what back spacing / what width are the tyres?

Sorry for the interrogation.

Oh, did I mention that I really like it? 😂

• Platinum Member
40 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Love it, love it, love it!  It looks fantastic.

But if I may, I have a whole raft of questions, as I am currently waiting on OME springs being delivered for a lift.

What springs did they put on?  Was it the 2933s on the front and the 2941s on the rear?

Did you take any measurements and do you know what lift was actually achieved front and back?

Looks like a standard OME 10mm spacer on the front spring, is there a spacer on the rear?

Unless it was done already it looks like they have dropped the transmission skid.  Were you getting vibrations, or was the drop just precautionary?  How much was it dropped?

What adjustment to bump stops did they make / how much uptravel are you getting?

Looks like new wheels for the new tyres.  Which are they (ProComp?) / what back spacing / what width are the tyres?

Sorry for the interrogation.

Oh, did I mention that I really like it? 😂

Thanks dude! I love it too. 

i should have taken a measurement of the height but didn’t think of it at the time but in theory its 5” higher as you get in the car possibly 6” considering sag over 25years on those old springs. 

Suspension came in a kit (non heavy duty)  which was this one: 

think the one you are waiting for is the one heavy load on front.

https://jeepey.com/product/25-suspension-lift-tj-ometjl/  

> pn2932 FRONT

> pn2941 REAR

Spacers, bump stops and panhard rod lowering bracket included in the kit which were all fitted. Details in the link above on measurements. 

up travel, i am not sure as havn’t tested properly myself so trusting the guys at storm to have made a call on the bump stop alterations made. 

Transfer case was lowered as a precaution i recall by 1.75” as there was some vibration even after it was lowered. 

Pro comp wheels with backspacing 3.75”  - they stick out of the flares by about an inch so may look at 6” flares next. 

Tyres are 32”/11.50/15

i’ll take a picture of the tyres sticking out of the flares as i was interested before i had the wheels and tyres  and held off on ordering any new flares until i knew.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
55 minutes ago, TjSimon97 said:

Thanks dude! I love it too. 

i should have taken a measurement of the height but didn’t think of it at the time but in theory its 5” higher as you get in the car possibly 6” considering sag over 25years on those old springs. 

Suspension came in a kit (non heavy duty)  which was this one: 

think the one you are waiting for is the one heavy load on front.

https://jeepey.com/product/25-suspension-lift-tj-ometjl/  

> pn2932 FRONT

> pn2941 REAR

Spacers, bump stops and panhard rod lowering bracket included in the kit which were all fitted. Details in the link above on measurements. 

up travel, i am not sure as havn’t tested properly myself so trusting the guys at storm to have made a call on the bump stop alterations made. 

Transfer case was lowered as a precaution i recall by 1.75” as there was some vibration even after it was lowered. 

Pro comp wheels with backspacing 3.75”  - they stick out of the flares by about an inch so may look at 6” flares next. 

Tyres are 32”/11.50/15

i’ll take a picture of the tyres sticking out of the flares as i was interested before i had the wheels and tyres  and held off on ordering any new flares until i knew.

Sounds great.  What tyres did you have before, about 29”?  If so and 5” higher that suggests you got 3” out of the lift kit.  That would explain why you picked up some vibrations.  The rear springs in the OME range are a bit of a mystery to me, based on the free lengths and spring rates I have found quoted online, in any sensible weight range the light and heavy options would appear to give almost exactly the same amount of lift.  So even though you are running a hard top I can see why they have used the lighter duty rear spring.  I have ordered the heavy duty front as I plan to install a winch.

Real balancing act with wheels and tyres, trying to navigate clearance versus coverage.  I think 11.5” is a good way to try and thread the needle.

• Platinum Member
2 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Sounds great.  What tyres did you have before, about 29”?  If so and 5” higher that suggests you got 3” out of the lift kit.  That would explain why you picked up some vibrations.  The rear springs in the OME range are a bit of a mystery to me, based on the free lengths and spring rates I have found quoted online, in any sensible weight range the light and heavy options would appear to give almost exactly the same amount of lift.  So even though you are running a hard top I can see why they have used the lighter duty rear spring.  I have ordered the heavy duty front as I plan to install a winch.

Real balancing act with wheels and tyres, trying to navigate clearance versus coverage.  I think 11.5” is a good way to try and thread the needle.

The tyres were 27” before.

Was funny when my wife who’s 5ft3” tried getting in the car. The role cage really comes in handy actually even for me. 

• Haha 2

• 8 months later...
  • Platinum Member

@TjSimon97I didn't get to see you after I had followed you for a bit yesterday at Whitecliff, it looks like Storm set up your suspensikn really well.  It looked to be working really well from behind, lots of articulation and not a hint of lifti g a corner while I was behind you.  Very nice.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
On 02/10/2022 at 13:52, UKTJ said:

@TjSimon97I didn't get to see you after I had followed you for a bit yesterday at Whitecliff, it looks like Storm set up your suspensikn really well.  It looked to be working really well from behind, lots of articulation and not a hint of lifti g a corner while I was behind you.  Very nice.

Thanks mate! Was a lot of fun. Sorry been a while getting back to you. 

Yours is looking really great too. 

• Like 1