New Wrangler JL owner

Overlander21

• Platinum Member

Hi everyone,

New, and first-time, Jeep owner here from the north west - but a longtime FCA owner.

Over the last 15 years-ish I've gone from a PT Cruiser to a Dodge Nitro to a Jeep Wrangler Overland - which I picked up on Friday.

I'll no doubt have the usual newbie questions over the coming weeks.  Like this one...  What's this newfangled "auto brake" thing that's preventing me from reversing my Jeep on to the driveway with the drivers door open?!   🤷‍♂️  And can I disable it? 🤔

Anyway, just saying hi 👋😄

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
33 minutes ago, Overlander21 said:

What's this newfangled "auto brake" thing that's preventing me from reversing my Jeep on to the driveway with the drivers door open?!   🤷‍♂️  And can I disable it? 🤔

Welcome to JOC. What will Jeep think of next? I guess as the Wrangler is designed to have removable doors. you could still reverse if the doors were off. Have a look in the owner's handbook or ask the dealer. If there is no software option to disable this 'feature' it is probably monitoring the courtesy light circuit. Older Jeeps had a switch that would control the courtesy light (Off, Auto, On). Try the Off position before reversing, that might work.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, Overlander21 said:

Hi everyone,

New, and first-time, Jeep owner here from the north west - but a longtime FCA owner.

Over the last 15 years-ish I've gone from a PT Cruiser to a Dodge Nitro to a Jeep Wrangler Overland - which I picked up on Friday.

I'll no doubt have the usual newbie questions over the coming weeks.  Like this one...  What's this newfangled "auto brake" thing that's preventing me from reversing my Jeep on to the driveway with the drivers door open?!   🤷‍♂️  And can I disable it? 🤔

Hiya and a very warm welcome to the club 👍👋 Can't really help with your question as my Jeep has none of this newfangled nannying stuff on it 😁

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

In the settings menu there is a way to disable auto brake for the cruise control not sure if it also works with the door open. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the club and I bet that within a few months, should you go off-roading, you will be wanting a non 'computer says no' controlled Jeep, lol.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
On 07/11/2021 at 21:44, Overlander21 said:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to JOC. 

It seems its a new safety feature to ensure you don't run yourself over. Apparently loads of people get out without securing the vehicle brake.

Ive even heard accounts of people forgetting to turn off their Jeep and going shopping for hours 😱 No idea how to disable it. Guess you have to reverse with the door closed I suppose.

• Haha 2