...made a brake disc puller

V

• Platinum Member

Through lack of use, I have a seized rear caliper. I also have an additional problem of a delaminated handbrake shoe that has wedged the friction material between the other shoe and the inside of the brake disc. I managed to successfully refurbish the brakes on the other side with new disc, caliper, pads, hoses and hardlines but this disc has rusted tight on the axle shaft. I bought a set of three 2-leg pullers on eBay for £16 and thought it would be a quick job to remove the disc. It wasn't.

The puller although sold as being wide enough, wasn't. When pressure is put on the screw, the links going to the legs want to form a straight line between the disc and the puller forming an inverted 'A' shape. I drilled three holes in a block of wood to try to resist this action and keep the puller on the disc. Unfortunately, as with most cheap Chinese tools, the quality of the product is not a patch on Western tools made 50 years ago. The links buckled as soon as any pressure was on the screw.

The local steel stock holder had a 2m off cut of 30mm right angle iron. A few hours later with a few extra nuts and bolts I made a stronger puller for around £15 more. I will tidy it up and give it a coat of paint if it can remove the stuck disc tomorrow. I am going to apply some heat from a blow torch while the disc is under pressure. Hopefully it will work. The legs pivots are set for a parallel pull at the diameter of my discs. I can drill more holes further out for my larger front discs.

Laser tools make a brake disc puller for £110+. I can get my head around the cost now that I have made my own.

My local tool hire shop didn't have one.

Feeble puller.JPG

The chinese 2-leg puller starting to buckle under pressure.

strong puller.JPG

My stronger version with 4 ribs below and 2 above.

Edited by V
  • Like 3

• Platinum Member

The puller worked great! I had to chock the screw with wood blocks to get it to stay on the centre line of the axle for a straight pull. I put the wheel nuts back on the studs leaving 1/4" of free play to catch the disc when it separated. I used a 24" breaker bar to get some pressure on the screw and the disc broke free silently with about 100 or so ftLbs.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I really like your puller. Have had the same problems as you with modern ones, only my old ones and car booters are any good. so .I've made or modified too!

What I like about your design is that it looks to me that with a row of holes not just out but all the way along it will work for many things.

Did you use the legs from the one that was no good? Ive had ones where the legs were ok but the frame was rubbish too.

If we can think up a way of easily altering the leg length, we would have a brilliant universal puller!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Yes, I reused the parts from the cheap puller. It says they are drop forged and it appears that they are. The angle of the hole drilled in the legs is hit or miss and I had to use a few more washers on one side to get the alignment right at the tips. I was desperate to get the Jeep ready for MoT this week, but I will have to return to Wales to finish it off in a couple more weeks.

I made the puller 400mm long so I could add some extra holes for my larger discs but adding a row of holes is a great idea, thanks.

I need to remember to cut down the bolts holding the legs in so I can easily reposition the legs without having to unbolt the frame.

• Platinum Member

Ideas!

How about bolting ( I'm thinking about the ability to turn the handle! Longer screw?) a vertical piece either side , above  the leg pivot so the legs can be moved up and down.

How about longer bolts going right through for the legs?

• Platinum Member

I had two more pullers in the box. A 6" and a 4". The legs are the same thickness but shorter so I have three different legs lengths to use.