New replacement parts quality issues

V

• Platinum Member

I buy Jeep parts from lots of suppliers and this year I have been suffering some quality issues particularly from parts bought from UK sources. The latest weirdness was today.

I bought branded parts from reputable performance and OEM brands to replace the rear brakes on my Ford 8.8.

The brake pads are handed left and right, but I had two outer right pads and no outer left pad in the sealed box. Fortunately, I filed off some material from the wrong pad to make it work as a left pad without compromising safety.

The brake disks, also in a hologram sealed box, were not oiled or in a wax paper wrapping, they had gone rusty on every contact point with the dry cardboard box they were in. Rubbing down with Emery paper successfully removed the rust.

The the piston in the replacement caliper had a non standard spring void, much smaller than the OEM calipers that I removed. Consequently the piston side pads would not fit without drastically shrinking the pad's tripod spring into a ball.

When reassembling, one of the new calipers is leaking at the banjo. I used new banjo bolts and copper washers but the OEM hose looks a few thou too big for the replacement caliper. More fettling with a file tomorrow...

• Confused 1

• Platinum Member

I thought I was pernickety!  LOL.  A steering column that had been assembled with the U/Js at 180degrees out!   Axle U bolts where the nuts stripped at half the torque the manual says! I've had lots of nuts and bolts supplied that are not up to the job so i just replace them all now with the real deal from my local engineering supplier .A steering stabiliser with ' I guessed' no fluid/ gas in it, very good damping action!

I have used a variety of suppliers at home and abroad especially since covid. Some branded stuff has been good some I sent back!  Its been the same with non branded parts too. Service is the same some good some bad.

I wonder what's going on at Quadratec at the mo. A number of folk said they were good so I ordered my Chromoly kit from them. The ad said out of stock but restocking on the 24th OCT which was ok for me so I ordered. Well , still not restocked as far as I know as i haven't had a reply to my last email!  🤪

• Platinum Member
Black_box_jeep

This is the daily struggle in a workshop…when you complain about the quality to suppliers and they contact the manufacturer to be told “well we’re the only ones making it, so tough” you know you’re in trouble.

anything in a plain white box goes straight back…if the manufacturer won’t put their name on it, then I won’t! Luckily some names in our field can still be trusted and fitted worry free.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, digger said:

I wonder what's going on at Quadratec at the mo. A number of folk said they were good so I ordered my Chromoly kit from them. The ad said out of stock but restocking on the 24th OCT which was ok for me so I ordered. Well , still not restocked as far as I know as i haven't had a reply to my last email!  🤪

There are container ships queuing up outside ports worldwide causing chaos with 'just-in-time' deliveries for companies that don't like to hold a lot of stock.

• Platinum Member
53 minutes ago, Black_box_jeep said:

This is the daily struggle in a workshop…when you complain about the quality to suppliers and they contact the manufacturer to be told “well we’re the only ones making it, so tough” you know you’re in trouble.

I guess buying parts for a rear axle from a donor vehicle that has been out of production for twenty years, the supply source pool will get smaller every year.

• Platinum Member

Hi B Box. Couldn't agree more but only one of the three items I mentioned came in a white box!

As V. says buying parts for anything old these days can be very difficult. For the record V, the chromoly is for the Dana 30 not the Chrysler.  I've been surprised, after what I had read, that there is as much available for the Chrysler as there is. At a price admittedly! I thought about an Eaton lsd for it after reading them up and your comments too. That's out of stock everywhere. I have found a newer competitor, Powertrax Grip Pro which also uses helical gears but I can find little clear info on it. Similar price but it  also has stock problems at the mo. However, with the pound fairly high its a good time to get stuff from the US.

Still like you i'm a 'slow mechanic too' so maybe something will become available before I put it all back together. 

• Platinum Member
On 02/11/2021 at 21:16, digger said:

...I wonder what's going on at Quadratec at the mo. A number of folk said they were good so I ordered my Chromoly kit from them. The ad said out of stock but restocking on the 24th OCT which was ok for me so I ordered. Well , still not restocked as far as I know as i haven't had a reply to my last email!  🤪

I have certainly had good experience with Quadratec.  But, as you say, in some cases the big issue can be getting parts in.  I waited months for a new soft top from Bestop through Quadratec, but whose fault that was I am not sure.  I have not contacted them by email, but their online chat has helped with getting info.  One thing that can add to delays for us is the international shipping process.  They have multiple warehouses holding parts and for international deliveries first consolidate to a single point, so there is often a delay while parts get shipped around the US before being sent to the UK.

Edited by UKTJ