Jump to content

Law regarding tyre coverage


UKTJ

Recommended Posts

  • Platinum Member

Not sure of the best place to post this, if this is the wrong spot please feel free to move it.

 

I am thinking forward to the point where I change to bigger tyres.  I have a vague recollection in my head that the tyre on a road going vehicle must be covered by the bodywork, but so far my (quite possibly inept) internet searches have not come up with a definitive answer, which surprises me.  Does anybody know the answer, or of a source for the answer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

Short answer: tyre tread must be covered.

 

It's The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations at play here, I believe, which says the vehicle "shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the vehicle".

 

Non-compliance could technically earn a tug from a traffic cop but seems unlikely.

 

Plenty of options for extended flares for TJs, so not a difficult problem to solve.

 

Edit: as the responses below show, plenty of people run a wider footprint without trouble.

Edited by AlexK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 years of ownership of wranglers … tires out side the arches around 2” 

never failed an mot … never been questioned by the bill ….

 

personally I think you will have to be real unlucky to get done … 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
45 minutes ago, John said:

22 years of ownership of wranglers … tires out side the arches around 2” 

never failed an mot … never been questioned by the bill ….

 

personally I think you will have to be real unlucky to get done … 

Ditto

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

I had my TJ for 10yrs, and tires was sticking out.  Never had any MOT etc issues what so ever.  What you will notice is a lot of mud get along the side of the Jeep, not that it stopped me 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
18 minutes ago, Arno said:

What you will notice is a lot of mud get along the side of the Jeep

Just the way it should be 🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

I have always been cautious about this issue, and for a while I took photos of agricultural vehicles on public roads that had inadequate or missing tyre coverage. Then I realised that every modern four wheel car manufactured to any type approval standard does not comply with the UK's Construction and Use regulations - including Police vehicles.

 

When a front steered four wheel vehicle turns left, the right tyre has illegal tyre coverage. When turning right, the left tyre has illegal coverage. All four wheel vehicles would need cycle type tyre guards that move with the steering knuckles or massively ballooned wheel arches that drop down to the wheel centreline to legally deal with turning. It is impossible to drive a conventional modern car without turning a corner, so I reckon it is the most frequently broken motoring law with billions of offences committed daily. That's my defence your honour.

 

Subaru-Impreza.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

 

The front tyres on the vehicle above are covered by bodywork and it has mud guards fitted but these are both ineffective at catching the mud flung off the tyres when cornering as evidenced by the cleaner bodywork ahead of the front tyres.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
30 minutes ago, V said:

I have always been cautious about this issue, and for a while I took photos of agricultural vehicles on public roads that had inadequate or missing tyre coverage. Then I realised that every modern four wheel car manufactured to any type approval standard does not comply with the UK's Construction and Use regulations - including Police vehicles.

 

When a front steered four wheel vehicle turns left, the right tyre has illegal tyre coverage. When turning right, the left tyre has illegal coverage. All four wheel vehicles would need cycle type tyre guards that move with the steering knuckles or massively ballooned wheel arches that drop down to the wheel centreline to legally deal with turning. It is impossible to drive a conventional modern car without turning a corner, so I reckon it is the most frequently broken motoring law with billions of offences committed daily. That's my defence your honour.

 

Subaru-Impreza.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

 

The front tyres on the vehicle above are covered by bodywork and it has mud guards fitted but these are both ineffective at catching the mud flung off the tyres when cornering as evidenced by the cleaner bodywork ahead of the front tyres.

 

Cheers V - the definitive and simple answer 👍🙏🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

I still prefer to keep my tyre tread blocks within the flares when the tyres are pointed straight ahead. I often have my head out of the driver's door window and it's nice not to get pelted in the face by clods of mud flung off my tyres.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
25 minutes ago, V said:

I still prefer to keep my tyre tread blocks within the flares when the tyres are pointed straight ahead. I often have my head out of the driver's door window and it's nice not to get pelted in the face by clods of mud flung off my tyres.

Been there done that, Lol
Oh and remember to close the sunroof

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

When I had bigger tyres on my previous 2WD Renegade Longitude, 235/65r17, combined with the 30mm wheel spacers, my tyres stuck out from the bodywork. Laser tracking could not be done and I was told by the tyre place that the tyres would kick up stone or mud and the driver behind would not thank me. So with that in mind, on my Trailhawk I stuck with 25mm wheel spacers, and kept the BF Goodrich KO2s to 225/65r17 which sits flush with the body and added mud flaps. Living near Heathrow, I encounter cops all the time on the roads so didn't want to give them any excuse to pull me over. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

I agree with those basically saying its very dubious law.

  If such law exists, It is probably not worth the effort for the police. I know someone who left the force because of the bureaucracy they have to face. They told me that they were faced with a  D&D at 11 30 pm. After running the guy down the station it took a couple of hours to do the paperwork! Their shift officially finished at midnight!

Attitudes have changed too. When'I was a lad' I was booked on a bicycle for no mudguards and no reflector at night in pouring rain. I was prosecuted and fined! Can anyone imagine that today, bicycles are sold without lights, let alone mudguards! Many Motorbikes have completely ineffective 'mudguards' too!

I haven't checked with my MOT expert this time but I guess that this is probably nothing to do with the MOT. So many times, people are told 'things'  that have failed their MOT ,in the 'opinion ' of the tester. Amazing how such 'things' generate work!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was looking at a brand new modded JLU which is being advertised online yesterday (in red, looks very smart), whose tyres (although 35 x 12.5 x 17 - same as my JK) stick out beyond the arch; making me wonder whether it had spacers or just the wheel offset

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

For what it’s worth, I was talking to the MOT guy recently that I know as just changed my wheel and tyres with a lower ET so pushing the wheels out, and slightly taller tyre. 
 

His answer was if they don’t rub the body work or arches then he wouldn’t fail it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
6 hours ago, doodle said:

Tyres sticking out? No issues here!...

IMG_1299 (2).JPG

Looking at the state of your Jeep .................... must remember not to be behind you 🤣👍🤣🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

guidelines