Roof Tents

TimC

• Platinum Member

I am actually thinking….about the possibility …..of getting a roof tent 🙈

I will admit I have never really been a fan of roof tents, not against them per se but always thought there were other things I could spend a thousand pounds or more on. I know there are those ( @Chrisby I am looking at you here ) who are all for them but I’ve always preferred an ordinary ground tent. However I have recently been out on a short trip with @Jules ……..fox wing awning , pretty cool….and @Volant165 ‘s recent post about Goat Roadtrip who use Tentbox has also got me thinking.

I already have a good, flexible ground tent setup that works well…….but you know how it is, always something else that you can add to the jeep! I can’t actually think of a reason I need either a roof tent or a new awning …….except they they look proper expedition 😎. Help me out here, tell me why I really need ( or don’t need ) a roof tent.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
3 minutes ago, TimC said:

I am actually thinking….about the possibility …..of getting a roof tent 🙈

I will admit I have never really been a fan of roof tents, not against them per se but always thought there were other things I could spend a thousand pounds or more on. I know there are those ( @Chrisby I am looking at you here ) who are all for them but I’ve always preferred an ordinary ground tent. However I have recently been out on a short trip with @Jules ……..fox wing awning , pretty cool….and @Volant165 ‘s recent post about Goat Roadtrip who use Tentbox has also got me thinking.

I already have a good, flexible ground tent setup that works well…….but you know how it is, always something else that you can add to the jeep! I can’t actually think of a reason I need either a roof tent or a new awning …….except they they look proper expedition 😎. Help me out here, tell me why I really need ( or don’t need ) a roof tent.

Hi Tim, to answer your question ....... sort of. It depends what you are doing, if you are just camping in one place and going off laning and then coming back to site then a ground tent does the job just fine - old tech now a days but still works and they come in different sizes. If your moving to different camp sites each night the roof tent makes for a much better solution as they go up and come down quickly.

Just my humble opinion and has made the answer to your question "as clear as mud"🤔🤣🤣😳

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Area Representative

I have a Ezee awn soft skin tent

Advantages - out of the mud and wet floor

Takes up same space as your vehicle

This years latest in thing for all the instagram influencers lol

You project the image that you do cool overlanding things lol

Keeps you away from snakes and scorpions whilst camping in the sand on black rock beach in wales

They are kind of cool

Quicker to pack than ground tent

Disadvantages - Lot more to buy than a ground tent (unless its an OZ tent)

Extra weight on the roof on sides slopes, cornering. braking

Requires roof rack or bars

Need to make sure roof can take the weight

If you are parked up and want to nip out have to pack it away

Can get caught if green laning and off roading (although i still do that with a tent just have to be careful where I go )Although I have taken 2 Defenders with Roof tents from North wales coast to South wales coast over 5 days using green lanes wherever possible without losing a tent.

Height Barriers on car parks

Longer to go for a pee in the night (no pee bottle)

Cant stand up in one

They do get nicked

Saying  all the disadvantages I have one still on my Landrover becuase thats what you do on landies lol.  Real reason is I go touring in my Disco 3   that doesnt include laning or off roading . I use the D3 to take the Willys jeep on a trailer to shows and use it as  base camp ( solar, tent, fridge etc)

I am fortunate to have my TJ for more tougher lanes and pay and play and D3 for the workhorse with the tent (summer anyway).  When the stars align right ( need to earn some more dosh ) I would love to replace the D3 with a JK to use as my tourer / Basecamp Willy towing every day vehicle.

Then you have the hard shell soft shell argument that I will save for someone else lol

Edited by Stu2985
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies guys 👍 I think I have to agree with you on every point.

I really want one because of Stu ‘s points 3-6 ……. They look cool and make me look like I head off on expeditions to Morocco and the Carpathian Mountains every other weekend. But as Spookie says you can’t really base camp with them, which is what I mostly do, well you can but then there isn’t much point in having a roof tent as well. They are also a two man tent, where do the dogs go if I’m camping en famile, plus I lose my roof rack space. 

If I were doing a NC 1500 or so and moving on every day or pulling up at a secluded beach and surfing for a couple of days ……..maybe. 

It’s just they look so good……I could take photos and put them on Instagram……..if I had Instagram.

I think it’s the base camping that kills it sadly. If I find a good site with a choice spot…by the river I don’t really want to pack up every day to go off laning.😕 Also can’t use it with the soft top…..bummer.

looks like I’ll have to buy a cheap D3 and put one on that 😁

Well all I can say is that I’d never go back to a ground tent. Im loving my set up as it is with the Maggiolina tent and ARB awning and tent box. Quick set up and break down and lots of comfy space. I’ve just ordered a second ARB awning for the other side for more useable space. 
I guess the only downfall is if you’re going to camp in the same place for multiple nights and venture out each day as you can just leave the tent there so you break down and put up again each time.

I sleep better up on the roof than anywhere else , beer might help a little 😂

4D0FDF13-4E71-4D8B-BBDE-BCF4615ACAEB.jpeg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
20 minutes ago, Jules said:

And for those unsure of a roof tent or a ground tent here is the solution...maybe?

image.png

🤣🤣 Love that idea 👍

But think I might be right in saying it wont be "Keeping you away from snakes and scorpions whilst camping in the sand on black rock beach in Wales" 🤔🙏🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim,

Louise and I want to put  one on the JL so that we can pop out and chill, take in some sunsets and coastlinesz

I do find the choices very confusing. More than one colleague endorsing the selection making it even harder. 

I decided to hold off when late night searching I can across Ursa Minor. And had to slap myself: 

iKamper seems to suit our needs but as mentioned above we are going to hold off. Better in spring and given current travels kind of like the JL fitting into parking garages! 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I have seen a set up where the roof tent is fitted to an overlanding trailer.  That could help on the base camp issue, though it does then mean you can't tow anything else.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
On 22/10/2021 at 20:03, Jules said:

Here you go..........a forum post answering most questions

Well, that's us at a site in Settle before heading off to the lake district adventure. The roof tent was epic, got talked about everywhere and really stood out, at the time so many people asked about it, was good fun. I sold it a few years ago though as started taking our dog with us. Had a side awning on the Jeep and a ground tent, suited us better. I have the AEV platform so it's brilliant for mounting stuff onto, so remember you'll need to spend some pennies on a roof rack system. 

No denying it, they are cool, @chrisby set up is spot on and that's what I'd go for, sides on the awning etc if I had another roof tent. But another option is the tailgate tents, in hideous weather you could then kip in the Jeep.

There isn't a perfect option, it's all down to fun and taste, a ground tent with a big porch is more practical..... But hey, roof tents are just "cool as" and like all over landing jeepey stuff, we can justify anything if they become a true "want" 😂 

One last thing, don't drive disconnected on winding roads with a roof tent.... I did and... Well.... Jeeeeez 😳🤪🤣

• Haha 1

Hi Steve, hope you’re well

mate .

I’ve gone the sleep in car route in my Tesla , drop rear seats and blow up the Tesla sleep system throw in pillows and blankets works spot on  especially in summer as you can have the air con running all night ! Super night’s sleep!

Next step in my JKU is building a sleeping platform in the back. Rear seats out and build a drawer set and fridge slide system that will work for a single bed so my daughter can sleep there as she’s now getting a bit old to share the roof tent. But I’m sure I’ll be the one in the Jeep and Millie enjoying the comfy roof tent 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member

Well that's it then. Get one of each and cover all angles! Roof tent for shows when not moving off site, or vehicle attached like Caranex, ground tent for trips when leaving site, under awning tent for a bit more shelter but can move vehicle, off ground tent to avoid creepy crawlies and quick break camp. And B&B or hotel when it's really cold! Only need one more now then! Happy camping.

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, TimC said:

I’m hoping to do a short trip to Wales in a week or two, see how it pans out.

Could be just in time for the snow 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
12 hours ago, TimC said:

Well the roof tent might prove its worth, at least I’ll be off the ground!

Roof mounted igloo 🤣

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Thought I would update this with a few thoughts and comments in case anybody is thinking along these lines.

Roof tent, a Tentbox lite by British company Tentbox, is now fitted to my Quadratec roof rack/basket. It was a right faff. To be fair to Tentbox if I was installing it the way they expect ‘normal’ people to do it, ie on a car with roof bars, it would probably have been a piece of cake. I can’t do this, at least not the way I want, on the JK because the drainage channels don’t go all the way to the back of the roof ( unlike the  JL ) and also I’m fitting it onto an already stupidly tall vehicle and the way the roof rack is arranged makes it really really hard to get in at the fixing nuts. 

Anyhow it is now on

29B77D95-C045-4132-9665-1CFBABFABF33.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Putting it up, from scratch, single handed takes about 4 minutes to functional “I could get out of the rain and sleep in it”

150BC4B7-E4C4-4898-9F7D-1E2505B3B19E.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I’ve also added a Rhino Rack awning to the side, time for total set up with awning out, just under 40 minutes, although this was a single handed first time practice run through so may get a bit quicker but probably not much. Not really much quicker than my ground tent and not as quick as a swag.

CF1F9020-DB59-4204-8114-F55953A23312.jpeg

360B10BA-6C56-4BDD-B8D3-6814C3590140.jpeg

7E1EC57F-3AF6-42F0-92BF-F73C12C4179E.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I’ve not slept overnight in it yet but the built in mattress is super comfy, the tent is stable and cozy and also seems to be quality built. This is the inside:

FBD37B54-F68D-4AB2-88EB-76D8958D982F.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Very nice set up there Tim 👍 Well worth the hassle of trying to get it on top of your Jeep 👍

I take it you didn't lift it up there by yourself? 😱🤔🤣🤣