Government proposals may outlaw vehicle mods

AlexK

• Platinum Member

Government proposals aimed at tackling 'tampering' may outlaw all vehicle mods.

It's likely this is aimed at preventing people modifying any electronic gubbins associated with implementing road pricing in the future, but as usual it's rather broadly defined.

The proposals can found here: Future of transport regulatory review: modernising vehicle standards

Responses to the predefined questions can be made here by 22nd Nov.

• Platinum Member
20 minutes ago, AlexK said:

Government proposals aimed at tackling 'tampering' may outlaw all vehicle mods.

It's likely this is aimed at preventing people modifying any electronic gubbins associated with implementing road pricing in the future, but as usual it's rather broadly defined.

The proposals can found here: Future of transport regulatory review: modernising vehicle standards

Responses to the predefined questions can be made here by 22nd Nov.

Yeah the ensuing on board speed limiters would be a primary intent but this is written too broadly. Imagine getting rid of crap OEM tyres for high performance all season ones and being fined for that 

• Platinum Member

I have just read the proposal and I reckon it will be used to make all vehicle modifications illegal. It even encompasses tools like hedge trimmers and chainsaws.

It looks like they are permitting small volume manufacturers with exemptions for full type approval so perhaps the a kit-car or entirely self-built car will be the only way we will be able to enjoy customisation of a vehicle.

In the USA, aftermarket manufacturers are being targeted by the EPA who have a similar view that tampering of any sort is illegal, including converting a previously road registered car into a racecar that will never be driven on a public road again.

At worst, I think that pattern part manufacturers will go out of business as tampering could be considered using any replacement part not branded by the vehicle's manufacturer.

I get the impression this is aimed more specifically at vehicle systems, particularly those that are more future relevant like Lane assist and automated braking.  However, it doesn't say that, so could impact the way you suggest if DfT went that way.   It seems incomprehensible that they could.

• Platinum Member

Clearly badly worded, I suspect (hope) poor drafting.  As said above, it suggests as written that using any non OEM part could be illegal and I do npt believe that is the intent.  I wonder if a strong issue with this will be a social injustice one, ie it is OK for those that can afford OEM replacement parts but many people simply can't, are they saying those people are to be denied vehicles?