Winscreen washer issue

Surfer

• Platinum Member

A couple of days ago I needed to use the windscreen washers and noticed that the one on the driver's side was not functioning.  Today I got around to investigating thinking that all I needed was a new nozzle. 

I was surprised to find that the pipe between the two nozzles was broken as per the pictures.  The driver's side was hanging down.  A very strange looking break because on lifting them together the break did not seem to match.  Maybe just too brittle?

However I need to replace the pipe, but I am unsure what I should be looking for as not sure what Jeep would call it.  I am assuming that I cna buy just that one piece separately as I never had this happen on my previous Jeep which was a lot older than my current 2012 Grand Cherokee. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Windscreen pipe.jpg

Windscreen pipe1.jpg

• Platinum Member

You could use a barbed hose joiner to reconnect the two halves. Cut off both ragged ends squarely with hose cutters or a sharp knife removing as little material as possible. Measure the bore diameter of the hose and buy a suitable connector. Usually it will be either 3mm or 4mm on most vehicles.

• Platinum Member

In the meantime I had another look at the pipe and this time I actually felt the ends and squeezed them.  It felt as if both ends are very hard which suggests that the pipe may be very brittle and at end of life. Recently I had to replace one of the nozzles which had crumbled.  Makes you wonder if the alcohol or chemicals in washer fluid has a detrimental effect on the pipes and nozzles?

• Platinum Member
21 hours ago, digger said:

Hi, one of mine failed . I just replaced with neoprene pipe the right size.

It is finding one the right size 3mm and then being able to buy in a 1m length. The pipe is really very hard and even difficult to cut with side cutters.  Jeep want nearly £35 for the pipe between the two nozzles!   LOL!

Edited by Surfer