Caroline’s, Rubber Duck Jeep Renegade build

Caroline12

• Platinum Member
19 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

I think a trip to the Plains is a fantastic idea just say when 😁😁

Next weekend, weekend after, I’ve got the next 3 weekends off. What works for you ? 

• Platinum Member

Just a heads up if you are planning on heading out on the plains in the near future. Apparently COVID-19 has limited the Army’s scope for overseas exercises, so there is a lot more going on out there than usual. A really big exercise at the moment, lots of red flags flying and areas closed off. Will be like that for probably the next month or so. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go, just do your research and planning thoroughly first, be careful, keep to the marked byways, look out for flags and signage and be prepared to divert/detour at short notice if need be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

Next weekend, weekend after, I’ve got the next 3 weekends off. What works for you ? 

Hi Caroline weekend after sounds good to me and thanks Tim for the warning - bloody covid still rearing its ugly head - or is it the British Army banned from fighting abroad????????????????? 🤣🤣

Even if parts of the Plains are busy I think there is still a lot of it that we could use 👍 could be a case of giving it a go and see what happens 😆

What's the worse that could happen? ........................................ ohhhhhhhhhhh yegh get blown up 💩🤣

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
43 minutes ago, TimC said:

Sorry to butt in, not really part of your build thread, just wanted to let you know😉

No probs, thank you.

• Platinum Member
43 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Hi Caroline weekend after sounds good to me and thanks Tim for the warning - bloody covid still rearing its ugly head - or is it the British Army banned from fighting abroad????????????????? 🤣🤣

Even if parts of the Plains are busy I think there is still a lot of it that we could use 👍 could be a case of giving it a go and see what happens 😆

What's the worse that could happen? ........................................ ohhhhhhhhhhh yegh get blown up 💩🤣

I have sent a request to admin to send you my email address, making it easier to talk privately. I don’t want to publish my email to everyone. Weekend after sounds good. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
20 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

I have sent a request to admin to send you my email address, making it easier to talk privately. I don’t want to publish my email to everyone. Weekend after sounds good. 

@Caroline12 my mobile number is 07539943300 iif you want to send me your email address direct and save Admins pulling their hair out 😁

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
30 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

@Caroline12 my mobile number is 07539943300 iif you want to send me your email address direct and save Admins pulling their hair out 😁

Spookie, upgrade to Gold or VIP membership and then you can use our personal messenger 😆

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Platinum Member

Gold and VIP member get access to advanced booking and reduced pricing for JOC events where possible, additional discounts from our sponsors and Jeep UK, plus the ability to use our personal messenger app.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
15 minutes ago, JimC said:

Gold and VIP member get access to advanced booking and reduced pricing for JOC events where possible, additional discounts from our sponsors and Jeep UK, plus the ability to use our personal messenger app.

Cheers Jim I will give it some thought 👍

• Platinum Member
17 minutes ago, PDB said:

Nice work. What did your dad think of the workmate respray? 😄

I had the same issue with rock rails, had to do the same. Maybe cavity wax the inside too.

Ice axes sounds interesting?

Dad was fine with the respray, it’s 40+ years old, it will protect it for longer now. It’s didn’t bother him. Ice axes - winter camping and winter mountain walking with crampons 😊

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

My new bull/light bar has turned up from the states, direct from Daystar factory, 3 week delay, here in 4 weeks by FedEx International and no custom chargers 😁😁😁 

prep, primer and raptor topcoat, then fit 😊

get paid and then order my lights to go on it 😎😎😎😎😎

25AF520F-15B6-4173-AB90-767F2A92343D.jpeg

FBE7F8C5-5835-4E9B-8135-D717B72FD1C5.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Caroline12 said:

My new bull/light bar has turned up from the states, direct from Daystar factory, 3 week delay, here in 4 weeks by FedEx International and no custom chargers 😁😁😁 

prep, primer and raptor topcoat, then fit 😊

get paid and then order my lights to go on it 😎😎😎😎😎

25AF520F-15B6-4173-AB90-767F2A92343D.jpeg

FBE7F8C5-5835-4E9B-8135-D717B72FD1C5.jpeg

Was it under £135?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

“no customs charges”………….so far 😕. Unfortunately, unless Daystar included all the customs clearance charges and VAT at the point of sale you will be fortunate to avoid paying anything. What usually happens is that you will receive a follow on invoice from FedEx, who as the clearing agent, will bill you for the Duty, VAT and a handling charge. It’s a bummer but you never know 🤞you might be lucky.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
34 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Was it under £135?

It was $257 and $67 delivery charge. 

“Our website is set up to charge the correct shipping to any country that USPS ships to. Many of our orders are for international customers. Shipping total will not include taxes, customs, or duties.“

so I might have a bill coming, oh well 🙂 that’s not the only problem 😂 I can’t see the bolt holes to attach to the “Aluminium front bumper” ?????? 😂😂😂 

think I’m going to be stripping the front bumper (was anyway) to find out how to attach it or work out what I have to fabricate to attach it 🤣🤣🤣🤣 just as well I can, may be old unistrut coming to the rescue 🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

It was $257 and $67 delivery charge. 

“Our website is set up to charge the correct shipping to any country that USPS ships to. Many of our orders are for international customers. Shipping total will not include taxes, customs, or duties.“

so I might have a bill coming, oh well 🙂 that’s not the only problem 😂 I can’t see the bolt holes to attach to the “Aluminium front bumper” ?????? 😂😂😂 

think I’m going to be stripping the front bumper (was anyway) to find out how to attach it or work out what I have to fabricate to attach it 🤣🤣🤣🤣 just as well I can, may be old unistrut coming to the rescue 🤣🤣🤣

Fingers crossed you get lucky.  Only reason I asked was if it was less than £135 the seller should be UK VAT registered and add it at sale.  As it was more I am surprised FedEx did not send the VAT and duty invoice before delivering, that has always been what has happened to me.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

Fitting instructions 😂

2B674DD3-4D35-464A-B1A4-EBDAB89BE924.jpeg

Presumably the US Trailhawk must have a different bumper.

• Platinum Member

Have you seen this video?  If not maybe it will help.

I have to say I really dislike the design, those two flat vertical sections look like they could be lethal in an accident 😱

Edited by UKTJ

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
7 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

get paid and then order my lights to go on it

Work paying in to the Jeep fund again? 😂🤑

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
4 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

Fitting instructions 😂

2B674DD3-4D35-464A-B1A4-EBDAB89BE924.jpeg

The bloke wouldn't have got those instructions out 😂

Would have scratched his head, then scratched his a*se, and then used fire and a hammer to make it fit 🔥⚒️😂

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
4 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

may be old unistrut coming to the rescue

Always 👍👍🤣🤣

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

The design of the Daystar bull-bar is definitely not "European". I would be very cautious about fitting it.

It is not illegal to fit a bull-bar or lamp-bar yourself to a pre-2007 vehicle, but I am fairly certain it is on anything newer. If your insurer is happy to cover it then I'm wrong.  It is illegal to sell a non EU type approved bull-bar in the UK since 25 May 2007. This also means that a bull-bar that you fit on a car registered after 25 May 2007 has to be removed before selling the car. The removed bull bar cannot be sold but presumably it can be given away as a gift.

The BIVA preparation manual requires all external edges that can come into contact with a person to have a 2.5mm radius. This also means that all external bracketry at the front must be at least 5mm thick or bordered with tubing to increase the radius.

I think it is worth having a chat with either AA or RAC legal support to get proper legal advice before fitting. If you do decide to fit it, make sure you discuss this with your insurer BEFORE fitting the bull-bar. Some insurers have been known to cancel policies immediately which then goes on your insurance record. Better to be safe than sorry.

My 1993 XJ had a full bull-bar as a dealer supplied option. As the second owner of the Jeep I intended to remove it as my insurance premiums were higher because of it. The first time I went off road in that Jeep the flat brackets at the bottom of the bull-bar folded on minor contact with the ground. The bull-bar got squeezed tightly onto the front bumper. I could still open the bonnet, but I had to cut the bull-bar off to fit a new headlamp bulb a few weeks later.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Fingers crossed you get lucky.  Only reason I asked was if it was less than £135 the seller should be UK VAT registered and add it at sale.  As it was more I am surprised FedEx did not send the VAT and duty invoice before delivering, that has always been what has happened to me.

That’s what I was told as the checkout, get a bill, pay it, get your goods.