Ever questioned your Jeep / Land Rover Loyalty? Well here might be the answer

JimC

• Platinum Member

Its a Defender body on a JK chassis - 

image.png

From Autoblog.com - https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/23/black-bridge-motors-function-suv/

"

Black Bridge Motors is a classic vehicle shop in Norwalk, Conn., that restores and restomods just about anything and can upgrade individual components in just about any way a customer is ready to pay for. With deep experience in modifying Land Rover Defenders, and with moneyed clients not yet tired of having old Landies made new, the outfit is now in the business of creating its own line of custom vintage off-roaders under the brand name Function by Black Bridge Motors.

About the only unconventional element is the frame. Black Bridge lead designer Scott Gilbert told us it's a JK Jeep Wrangler frame with that rig's 116-inch wheelbase. Gilbert said the extra six inches gives second-row passengers more room, and, "The benefits of being able to utilize the vast Jeep aftermarket allow us to offer some really great upgrades for these trucks," on top of the ease of service and finding parts.

The standard suspension geometry remains, a Bilstein suspension holding everything in place at standard height, or with a two-inch or four-inch lift. Atop that is a custom Defender-looking body in 3/8-inch aluminum, the thickness helping provide rigidity since the Function is a stretched convertible. A roll cage can be added for $7,850, with the soft top that one would presumably like to stretch over the roll cage costing another $3,500. 

The rest comes straight from the bible of high-dollar restomods. In standard form, power comes from a GM Performance LS3 V8, the 6.2-liter mill with 430 horsepower shifted through a six-speed automatic. The optional engine is the supercharged LT4 V8, its 6.2 liters making 650 hp and worked through an eight-speed automatic. For another upcharge, a customer can get a six-speed manual with either motor. Brembos are on stopping duty, the choice there either standard drilled rotors, a Big Brake kit, or a race brake kit.  

The interior's laid up with loads of leather on the included premium seating or the front-row sport leather seats, either of which can be heated and cooled. Black Bridge remakes the dash with digital gauges and the instrument panel with an iPad as the infotainment and HVAC controller; the company made a video about similar fitment in a customer's Defender.

Black Bridge says each Function is numbered and hand-built; judging by the YouTube channel, the outfit doesn't take shortcuts. Pricing starts at $144,950 before options. The Portofino Red model we configured with two rows of heated and cooled sport seating in Parchment leather, the big engine and six-speed manual, steelies, plenty of lights, and other extras comes to $189,050. 

If you're a purist and the underpinnings give you pause, Gilbert told us Black Bridge is working on another chassis option for its Function brand, "a proprietary 110-inch wheelbase design [with] independent front suspension, triangulated trailing arm rear suspension and the ability to option all of the OEM Land Rover Defender 110 body configurations." Currently in development, Defender 90 builds will eventually get the option, too.

• Haha 1

• JimC changed the title to Ever questioned your Jeep / Land Rover Loyalty? Well here might be the answer
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, JimC said:

Its a Defender body on a JK chassis - 

image.png

From Autoblog.com - https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/23/black-bridge-motors-function-suv/

"

Black Bridge Motors is a classic vehicle shop in Norwalk, Conn., that restores and restomods just about anything and can upgrade individual components in just about any way a customer is ready to pay for. With deep experience in modifying Land Rover Defenders, and with moneyed clients not yet tired of having old Landies made new, the outfit is now in the business of creating its own line of custom vintage off-roaders under the brand name Function by Black Bridge Motors.

About the only unconventional element is the frame. Black Bridge lead designer Scott Gilbert told us it's a JK Jeep Wrangler frame with that rig's 116-inch wheelbase. Gilbert said the extra six inches gives second-row passengers more room, and, "The benefits of being able to utilize the vast Jeep aftermarket allow us to offer some really great upgrades for these trucks," on top of the ease of service and finding parts.

The standard suspension geometry remains, a Bilstein suspension holding everything in place at standard height, or with a two-inch or four-inch lift. Atop that is a custom Defender-looking body in 3/8-inch aluminum, the thickness helping provide rigidity since the Function is a stretched convertible. A roll cage can be added for $7,850, with the soft top that one would presumably like to stretch over the roll cage costing another $3,500. 

The rest comes straight from the bible of high-dollar restomods. In standard form, power comes from a GM Performance LS3 V8, the 6.2-liter mill with 430 horsepower shifted through a six-speed automatic. The optional engine is the supercharged LT4 V8, its 6.2 liters making 650 hp and worked through an eight-speed automatic. For another upcharge, a customer can get a six-speed manual with either motor. Brembos are on stopping duty, the choice there either standard drilled rotors, a Big Brake kit, or a race brake kit.  

The interior's laid up with loads of leather on the included premium seating or the front-row sport leather seats, either of which can be heated and cooled. Black Bridge remakes the dash with digital gauges and the instrument panel with an iPad as the infotainment and HVAC controller; the company made a video about similar fitment in a customer's Defender.

Black Bridge says each Function is numbered and hand-built; judging by the YouTube channel, the outfit doesn't take shortcuts. Pricing starts at $144,950 before options. The Portofino Red model we configured with two rows of heated and cooled sport seating in Parchment leather, the big engine and six-speed manual, steelies, plenty of lights, and other extras comes to $189,050. 

If you're a purist and the underpinnings give you pause, Gilbert told us Black Bridge is working on another chassis option for its Function brand, "a proprietary 110-inch wheelbase design [with] independent front suspension, triangulated trailing arm rear suspension and the ability to option all of the OEM Land Rover Defender 110 body configurations." Currently in development, Defender 90 builds will eventually get the option, too.

HA HA at last a Land Rover that is comfortable, powerfull and fast .................................. and it had to use Jeep bits and American inganuity to do it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member

I had a letter published in 4x4 magazine some years ago where I suggested that Land Rover should license the 2-door and 4-door JK platforms for the new Defender as it would allow the Defender to automatically inherit the JK's after-market support. The idea is not new. The very first Land Rover was built on the chassis of a WW2 Willys Jeep, but a lot of LR fans don't like to be told that. And so too I guess both LR and Ineos. I wonder how better USA sales would be if Ineos had designed the Grenadier on a JK or JL platform?

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Or if you fancy one the other way around you used to be able to get a CJ7 (ish) fibreglass body on a Range Rover chassis with the rover V8 engine……….I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called though 🤔

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
22 minutes ago, TimC said:

Or if you fancy one the other way around you used to be able to get a CJ7 (ish) fibreglass body on a Range Rover chassis with the rover V8 engine……….I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called though 🤔

I would guess SH*T 🤔🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
26 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

I would guess SH*T 🤔🤣🤣🤣

……nope, wasn’t that 🤔. The body was a kit and it used a lot of LR switches etc. Recently featured in an ad for one of these on line car companies, somebody posted about it on here. The name escapes me, it’s on the tip of my tongue so I hope it wasn’t what you suggest.

• Haha 1