Hello ! and some questions...

HussaR

• Platinum Member

Hey guys

Just did some off road courses (whitecliff) and Im hooked. Im trading in my cherokee for a wrangler.

I was hoping to come to the aldermaston event (although not sure what date exactly?) 

I was curious - do you need a rubicon to participate? Is the sahara edition good enough?

Alex

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Alex,

You've got the bug!

Aldermaston details are in the Events section and tickets are available in the JOC store.

You do not need a Rubicon by any means. Regardless of which model Jeep you have we always recommend all terrain or mud tyres instead of street tyres. Especially in wet conditions.

If and where you take your rig beyond that is up to you, take your time and chat on the forum for ideas etc. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I'm not certain if there were any RHD diesel JKs built for the UK, maybe Australia got some. I think Europe had some LHD diesel JK Rubicons.

When it comes to off road performance and reliability, I think the driveline comes first, the engine is secondary. A petrol TJ or JK Rubicon will have a Dana 44 style front axle along with the 44 rear, electric lockers, a 4:1 ratio transfer case and electric sway bar disconnect. If you are planning to go up to 33" or 35" tyres you only have to change your ring & pinion gears on a Rubicon. On a Sahara, it's a lot more expensive to build properly.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, HussaR said:

Thanks!! I’m so excited! It’s hard to find diesel rubicons… there are a few saharas though !

Glad to hear you have got the off roading bug Alex 👍

Don't stress too much about the model of Jeep (they are all very capable and great fun ) I am taking my petrol Grand Cherokee .................. just have to find some fuel 🤔🤣

• Platinum Member
On 28/09/2021 at 10:07, HussaR said:

Hey guys

Just did some off road courses (whitecliff) and Im hooked. Im trading in my cherokee for a wrangler.

I was hoping to come to the aldermaston event (although not sure what date exactly?) 

I was curious - do you need a rubicon to participate? Is the sahara edition good enough?

Alex

Hello. Whitecliffs is a good site. We were there on the 11th Sep. 

Please do sign up for Aldermaston. It's on the 16th October. 

It is a muddy site so all terrain or mud tyres are advisable.

I've taken my stock straight off the showroom Renegade Trailhawk around the course so you should be fine in a Sahara.

FB_IMG_1570563781259-1.jpg

20201016_104748.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
6 hours ago, Raakhee said:

Hello. Whitecliffs is a good site. We were there on the 11th Sep. 

Please do sign up for Aldermaston. It's on the 16th October. 

It is a muddy site so all terrain or mud tyres are advisable.

I've taken my stock straight off the showroom Renegade Trailhawk around the course so you should be fine in a Sahara.

FB_IMG_1570563781259-1.jpg

20201016_104748.jpg

WHAT 😱😱 ..................................... NO DUCKY 🦆🦆🦆🦆🤣

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
14 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

WHAT 😱😱 ..................................... NO DUCKY 🦆🦆🦆🦆🤣

Those photos were taken 11 days after I pickeded my Jeep up from the dealership. Ducky was not in the picture yet.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
19 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

Those photos were taken 11 days after I pickeded my Jeep up from the dealership. Ducky was not in the picture yet.

Still don't look right 🦆🦆😱🤣

Alice does look better with the lift and AT tyres 😘

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Welcome aboard. You will enjoy Aldermarston if you can make it. don't worry about which Jeep , they are all excellent!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

As has been said previously, you will be pleasantly surprised on how well Jeeps perform off road and in my opinion, it is better to start learning off-road driving in an unmodified Jeep as you will learn and appreciate better how to drive off-road without any modifications such as AT / MT tyres or some serious modifications such as suspension lifts. Plus doing this within a controlled environment such as Aldermaston you will benefit from the support from our members.

First thing to do is get to know your Jeep and then work on your driving confidence and then you will have a great time.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, HussaR said:

Thanks guys, so basically the Sahara will need off road tyres?

Not sure you 'need' them straight away as others have opined.  But, definitely get better off road performance and they look muuuccchhh cooler!

Always a lot of debate on size of tyres to, so in seriousness, probably a good idea to hold off, have a go stock and do some research before you get those 37 inch mud tyres 😉

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, HussaR said:

Thanks guys, so basically the Sahara will need off road tyres?

If your stock Sahara has the standard all Season tyres, you will be fine. No need to rush to get AT or mud tyres. As @Matt said, take your time doing research on the size and type you want. 

• Platinum Member

With the right terrain and ground conditions you can drive a Jeep off road in 2wd high ratio with summer street tyres. When the ground conditions and terrain are more demanding that's when you need 4wd, low ratio transfer case and off road tyres. How do I know when the ground conditions and terrain are more demanding? By gaining experience. Finding out what you can do with a bone stock Jeep is a good foundation experience.

I have driven lots of green lane trips and private sites with others driving unmodified Jeeps on street tyres and it is something I think everyone should do even if only for one day. JOC recommends All Terrain tyres for events. Street tyres can sometimes be a disadvantage at some events particularly with inexperienced drivers as it can cause hold ups or mean a lot of time is spent on recoveries. Learning how to do recoveries is just as valuable an experience to gain as driving so don't worry about getting stuck. Just try to work out what happened and find out if there was a better line to take for your Jeep. Don't be afraid to ask others.

If the event organiser is happy for you to drive the event on street tyres then do so. There is a strong likelihood that you will get stuck (at least once) but you will learn from it. There should be plenty of people willing to help if you do. When you arrive at the event, ask the organiser if they can find a willing buddy for you to follow round that is not going to lead you into difficult situations and will help and advise you if you do get stuck. If you have no prior off-road training or experience, let them know.

I am not going to be at the Aldermaston event, but I'm certain there will be other experienced drivers that will volunteer their time to give you guidance. The most important think to have with you when driving on street tyres is a positive attitude and a willingness to have a go. Starting the day being prepared for getting dirty and having some basic recovery equipment signals to others that you are willing to learn. I have done events where driver's have turned up unsuitably dressed in expensive townie clothes and shoes and expected the rest of us to walk out into the swamp they drove into to attach the tow rope - it has lead to some awkward moments.

A little recollection of a time on street tyres...

I had a 4-door JK Sahara in Switzerland. One one wintery weekend I set out on a road trip to take my dogs for a walk in snow. I drove to the highest parking area at Piz Gloria (Mürren). Overnight, there had been a good dump of snow. The road was covered. I couldn't see the kerbs or a lot of the road signs. I put the Jeep in part-time 4wd, used low ratio a couple of times but I made it to the parking area just fine. When I got out, I wondered why a lot of people were looking at me. Then I realised that all of the other vehicles in the car park had snow chains fitted. I had got up there on the factory fitted Bridgestone summer street tyres that had the minimum required 'M+S' rating. After the walk when I had driven back down to the valley I could see that the signs had thawed and it was a snow chain only area - Oops!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, V said:

With the right terrain and ground conditions you can drive a Jeep off road in 2wd high ratio with summer street tyres. When the ground conditions and terrain are more demanding that's when you need 4wd, low ratio transfer case and off road tyres. How do I know when the ground conditions and terrain are more demanding? By gaining experience. Finding out what you can do with a bone stock Jeep is a good foundation experience.

I have driven lots of green lane trips and private sites with others driving unmodified Jeeps on street tyres and it is something I think everyone should do even if only for one day. JOC recommends All Terrain tyres for events. Street tyres can sometimes be a disadvantage at some events particularly with inexperienced drivers as it can cause hold ups or mean a lot of time is spent on recoveries. Learning how to do recoveries is just as valuable an experience to gain as driving so don't worry about getting stuck. Just try to work out what happened and find out if there was a better line to take for your Jeep. Don't be afraid to ask others.

If the event organiser is happy for you to drive the event on street tyres then do so. There is a strong likelihood that you will get stuck (at least once) but you will learn from it. There should be plenty of people willing to help if you do. When you arrive at the event, ask the organiser if they can find a willing buddy for you to follow round that is not going to lead you into difficult situations and will help and advise you if you do get stuck. If you have no prior off-road training or experience, let them know.

I am not going to be at the Aldermaston event, but I'm certain there will be other experienced drivers that will volunteer their time to give you guidance. The most important think to have with you when driving on street tyres is a positive attitude and a willingness to have a go. Starting the day being prepared for getting dirty and having some basic recovery equipment signals to others that you are willing to learn. I have done events where driver's have turned up unsuitably dressed in expensive townie clothes and shoes and expected the rest of us to walk out into the swamp they drove into to attach the tow rope - it has lead to some awkward moments.

A little recollection of a time on street tyres...

I had a 4-door JK Sahara in Switzerland. One one wintery weekend I set out on a road trip to take my dogs for a walk in snow. I drove to the highest parking area at Piz Gloria (Mürren). Overnight, there had been a good dump of snow. The road was covered. I couldn't see the kerbs or a lot of the road signs. I put the Jeep in part-time 4wd, used low ratio a couple of times but I made it to the parking area just fine. When I got out, I wondered why a lot of people were looking at me. Then I realised that all of the other vehicles in the car park had snow chains fitted. I had got up there on the factory fitted Bridgestone summer street tyres that had the minimum required 'M+S' rating. After the walk when I had driven back down to the valley I could see that the signs had thawed and it was a snow chain only area - Oops!

As V says it is the have a go attitude that is the most importent 👍

We all get stuck at some point despite experiance or stupidity - see pic below of me getting well and truly stuck, even with All Terrain tyres 😳🤪🤣

FB0AD8DD-9555-4E6C-BBD4-A2DF6B0EAA63.thumb.jpeg.5133ad7ee0cdb457ec080b478e83d8a7.jpeg.5c044fcc97f84b763153bb17ba78c0bb.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Back in my instruction days, I would often start by saying “if you don’t make any mistakes, you won’t learn anything.” Get stuck in. You’ll be amazed what a stock Jeep will do, and what it will teach you.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
17 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

We all get stuck at some point despite experiance or stupidity.

I prefer to think of it as an ever increasing graph of enthusiasm and experience plotted against time.

You start out very enthusiastic with not much experience but as time goes on your skills improve.

Some of us start modifying at this point and then we have a dip in experience as we learn how to best use the modifications.

Then follows a dip in enthusiasm which often resurges following a good event or a long gap between events.

More modifications or another event at a different site, another boost in enthusiasm and dip in experience.

And the waviness of the two graphs continues.

The 'stupid' moments are not really stupid, they are just when enthusiasm is greater than experience. Enthusiasm pushes you forward, experience holds you back.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
17 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

As V says it is the have a go attitude that is the most importent 👍

We all get stuck at some point despite experiance or stupidity - see pic below of me getting well and truly stuck, even with All Terrain tyres 😳🤪🤣

FB0AD8DD-9555-4E6C-BBD4-A2DF6B0EAA63.thumb.jpeg.5133ad7ee0cdb457ec080b478e83d8a7.jpeg.5c044fcc97f84b763153bb17ba78c0bb.jpeg

This is you not listening to the briefing. You were standing right next to me when Jim said "don't go in that bit of water" and not even 30 mins later you went for a swim 😅

Aldermaston has some puddles for you to get stuck in as well 😉 I'm steering clear of any submarine action 🤿

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, Raakhee said:

This is you not listening to the briefing. You were standing right next to me when Jim said "don't go in that bit of water" and not even 30 mins later you went for a swim 😅

Aldermaston has some puddles for you to get stuck in as well 😉 I'm steering clear of any submarine action 🤿

It wasn't my fault Raakhee ...................... there was this this nice big puddle ........................... I was in a four wheel drive ............................. the devil on my shoulder shouted " GO ON DO IT - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TOO". Enthusiasm over riding experience and common sense 🤣🤣 But it should be noted I wasn't the only one to try that puddle, one guy got through and lost a number plate and another got stuck less far in than I got. Guess I wasn't the only one not listening at the briefing or a case of a few of us having trouble with Enthusiasm over commen sense 🤣🤣

Hopefully the puddles at Aldermaston wont be as extream as at Summer camp but EXPERIANCE now says to check the depth first ....................... or go faster 🤣

Alice can always play follow the Aardvark .................. after I hit the water it will be less deep for you 😆🤪👍

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
3 hours ago, V said:

I prefer to think of it as an ever increasing graph of enthusiasm and experience plotted against time.

You start out very enthusiastic with not much experience but as time goes on your skills improve.

Some of us start modifying at this point and then we have a dip in experience as we learn how to best use the modifications.

Then follows a dip in enthusiasm which often resurges following a good event or a long gap between events.

More modifications or another event at a different site, another boost in enthusiasm and dip in experience.

And the waviness of the two graphs continues.

The 'stupid' moments are not really stupid, they are just when enthusiasm is greater than experience. Enthusiasm pushes you forward, experience holds you back.

Cheers V makes perfect sense 👍 I guess nothing is stupid so long as you can drive home afterwards and sometimes help you get to know your Jeep better as stupidity = time to put right 🤭

Would love to work out the waviness of the two graphs, in my case I guess it might look like a map of the Alps 👍🤣

• Platinum Member

Is there a wrangler driver coming to aldermaston that I can possibly join ? If allowed?

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, HussaR said:

Is there a wrangler driver coming to aldermaston that I can possibly join ? If allowed?

Don’t worry, there will be lots of Wranglers there and you will have plenty of guidance and advice. I ‘m sure someone will let you shotgun or convoy round with them. You don’t say what type of Wrangler you are getting/ have got, or did I miss that. I’m assuming a JK.

• Like 1