Is CB usage common?

UKTJ

• Platinum Member

As somebody new to JOC, hoping to start going to meetings and also to find others to go green laning with, I was wondering what additional kit I may need for my Jeep.  One thing that crossed my mind was a CB.  Having watch a few YouTube videos of UK based off roaders many seem to have CBs to keep in touch with the group whilst out and about.  Is this common, or if I buy a CB will it turn out to be a dud investment that just gathers dust in the Jeep?

• Platinum Member

I think a CB is a worthwhile investment, particularly if you intend to go laning in a group. Cost wise it’s one of the smaller additions you can get for your Jeep and it is a fun and useful tool when you’re out with a couple of buddies on the trails. Some people like two way radios which you can get pretty cheap but I prefer a CB, in the group I go laning mostly with everyone has ( at least) one ( I  carry a hand held as well as a fixed set in the cab ) and it’s pretty much an essential. You really notice the difference if someone’s isn’t working. 
I’d recommend you get one if you are planning on joining a group for doing a few lanes. You used to be able to get a 5% club discount from Thunderpole too if you buy from them.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

……….of course it only works if the other people you are going with have one too 😉, otherwise it would turn out to be a waste of money.

When we run club events, quit few members have them and keep in touch with each other and the club team members in case of emergency. Especially as most site don’t have good phone coverage

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

i have a CB in both my off road jeeps, it is very handy when a group of vehicles are negotiating assents and descents where you cant always see the vehicle in front or behind, it generally makes for safer eventing, and as said earlier a good safety item in case of an accident, some off road sites are huge, such as seven sisters in Wales, and very easy to get lost on. 

• Platinum Member

I have a habit of buying entry level CB radio rigs that last about six or seven years. They are inexpensive and work reasonably well. When they fail the replacement is often smaller. I have got used to models which have channel change in the mic so I may well go for a unit with everything in the mic next time, something like the Midland M5.

• Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for covering an interesting subject.

I have never had a CB and know little about them. I would like to do more laning so maybe I should get one. I have looked at all your recommendations and posts. My biggest concern is security .

Is it possible to mount one of these out of sight even vertically rather than horizontally or under seat or underneath dash or something?  I do not want to drill holes etc in  my original dash.  I see there are lots of aerial types.  Can you have an internal one? If not which external type would you suggest that is easily removable when not in use, like staying overnight somewhere. Will such a fitting put up with off road bashing?

• Platinum Member

A CB rig can be made completely removable. They usually come with an under dashboard hanging mount that is just a bit of folded sheet metal with two hooks formed that engage with two thumb-wheels on either side of the rig. Undo the thumb-wheels and the rig should slide off the mount.

If the power lead is wired up to a 12v accessory plug for a 12v lighter socket that makes it easily removable.

If the antenna is screwed into a 6" diameter magnetic mount, the mag mount can be plonked onto the bonnet or steel roof and the lead run into a side rear window or door for easy removal.

My rigs have always been visible, in the TJ and XJs. I guess CB radios are so niche that the average crook probably thinks they are not worth knicking.

• Platinum Member

All my CB gear is completely removable including the ‘fixed’ rig in the cab. As V says you can fit an aerial with a mag mount or a gutter mount or bonnet mount without having to drill anything. You can have a look at my setup at Aldermaston if you like.

• Platinum Member

Really helpful replies, thank you to all who have contributed.

Sounds like I will look to get a CB in my Jeep.  I am thinking about one of the super tiny offerings, I have looked online at the President Bill or Midland M-Mini USB.  I like the USB socket on the Midland.  The President Bill comes with two brackets, one a traditional one and one a quick release one perfect for removing the CB on a regular basis.

One thing I don't quite understand yet is the tuning of the aerial, looks like an additional bit of kit is needed for that.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
4 hours ago, digger said:

Thanks everyone for covering an interesting subject.

I have never had a CB and know little about them. I would like to do more laning so maybe I should get one. I have looked at all your recommendations and posts. My biggest concern is security .

Is it possible to mount one of these out of sight even vertically rather than horizontally or under seat or underneath dash or something?  I do not want to drill holes etc in  my original dash.  I see there are lots of aerial types.  Can you have an internal one? If not which external type would you suggest that is easily removable when not in use, like staying overnight somewhere. Will such a fitting put up with off road bashing?

Hi Digger, as everyone else has said CBs are a great idea for staying in touch when out and about 👍

I have the same radio that V mentioned - Midland M5 - really small and easy to find somewhere to fit it and all the controls and display are on the mike. As the 1st photo shows mine is located down on the tunnel just forward of the drivers seat. Power cable unclips, ariel unscrews and the radio just pulls out of the holder if i want to hide it or, as in second photo, when i had to take the drivers seat out to get the carpet up after flooding the footwell at Summer Camp 😳

The 3rd photo shows my ariel which is a springer - which as the name suggests has a spring at the bottom allowing it to bend if you catch a branch when off roading. Never had a problem with it. It just screws into the mount so is easy to take off if I want though it stays on all the time. The only time I would take it off would be if I had to go into multi story car park as otherwise I would end up looking like a four wheel drive bumper car😳

Please feel free to have a look at mine at Aldermaston 👍

IMG_20210829_143400.jpg

IMG_20210829_100502.jpg

IMG_20200829_105927.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
12 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Really helpful replies, thank you to all who have contributed.

Sounds like I will look to get a CB in my Jeep.  I am thinking about one of the super tiny offerings, I have looked online at the President Bill or Midland M-Mini USB.  I like the USB socket on the Midland.  The President Bill comes with two brackets, one a traditional one and one a quick release one perfect for removing the CB on a regular basis.

One thing I don't quite understand yet is the tuning of the aerial, looks like an additional bit of kit is needed for that.

I think all you need is an SWR meter and lead but it's been a good many years since I used one. To be honest I just normally stick all the bits in the Jeep and link them all up. As the saying goes "Let God sort it out" 😂

I am sure the big brains will be able to give you all the advice you need to set everything up👍

Plenty of choice around for different radios, I went for small one as space is a little limeted in a WG but it is very much an individual thing 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks very much to all for lots of good info. I'll take a look at your various kit at Aldermarston as you suggest and go from there!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

A CB is a well worth investment if you wanna go off-road, and you will use it.

It good for keep in touch with the group, call ahead of you stuck etc.  On a few to many occasions my CB helped me out of trouble 😉

Midland is doing a few smallish size ones that does everything you need from a CB, and at a cheap'ish £75

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi Spookie, thanks to you and others for your help re CB radios. i have ordered a Midland . Speak soon!😄

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, digger said:

Hi Spookie, thanks to you and others for your help re CB radios. i have ordered a Midland . Speak soon!😄

Which one did you order digger?

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, digger said:

Your welcome digger will always help if i can 😁