Help needed

parkgreen

Hi guys I am looking for some help here.  I have inherited from my dad, a Jeep Cherokee 2001.  It is not suitable for me and my job.  At present it is in a garage in Tiverton awaiting a master cylinder to pass its MOT.  It has 146000 miles on the clock and has been lovingly looked after.  Replacement parts shipped from the US etc.  What can I do with it, scrap, sell for parts, complete the MOT and sell?  Your help would be much appreciated.

• Platinum Member

Hi, this is a fast appreciating classic car especially if its a 4litre and in good general condition. In which case it would be a crime to scrap it. Get the MOT!  If you really don't want  one of these terrific cars you should sell it. Check out its condition etc particularly the body  state, mechanics are easily fixed, engines bulletproof, research the asking prices re model/ condition etc and advertise. You could start by posting comprehensive pictures inside and out on this post. There are plenty of us who will take a look and give you their thoughts about your car.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for that.  I forgot to say that it is also LPG and petrol.  I will get the mechanic to take pictures and then post as I am in Warwickshire and the car is in Devon (at the moment).  My dad loved this car and it is in great condition and I know he would be heart broken if it was scrapped!

• Platinum Member

Does the Cherokee have rectangular headlights or round ones? XJ Cherokees have rectangular headlights, KJ Cherokees have round.

If you are really thinking of scrapping a good XJ, there are a lot of enthusiasts on here that would gladly acquire it for just its scrap value. But you would be very foolish to do so.

Unmodified, Cherokee XJs with service history have been appreciating in value worldwide. In Europe, the highest values are probably in Switzerland were supply of Swiss registered examples that arrived there before 5-years old is extremely small. They are not quite at Wrangler prices in the UK but they are doing well, especially compared to KJ Cherokee/Liberty and WJ/WG Grand Cherokees values.

I sold my 2-door 1997 4.0L XJ in Utah in 2015 for $3500. That Jeep has had three owner's since, only servicing and maintenance repairs and last changed hands for $9000.

In the UK last year some very clean, unmodified XJ's were selling at £10K, in the USA $16K. Not all examples can fetch these values as a lot depends on condition, history and what the buyers are looking for.

Have you considered vehicle storage? If the vehicle meant a lot to your Dad, you may feel differently about its value to you other than purely financial as time passes. My eldest son died four years ago and I still have his builder's van. It's not the prettiest of vehicles but it smells the same inside now as it did the last time I travelled in it with him. That £500 van is priceless to me. 

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

I wish id bought the XJ i looked at years ago.

I would love one now. if you can keep it, if not sell it - id buy one if the right deal came along

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Can you get some photos and post them on here and we will be in a better position to advise you.
Just do not scrap it please

• Like 2

Hi guys I am in the process of getting photos and will post.  Unfortunately I am 3 hours away from the Jeep so I need to find someone who will do this for me.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5 minutes ago, parkgreen said:

Hi guys I am in the process of getting photos and will post.  Unfortunately I am 3 hours away from the Jeep so I need to find someone who will do this for me.

No rush mate...

Hi not sure as the garage took these photos and I have not actually seen the car.  To be honest if I can cover some of the garage bill I would be happy.  

• Platinum Member

She does look fairly tidy. I would not scrap her as what the breakers would probably do is offer you the minimum price and then either sell her on or strip her for parts. We have a Jeeps for sale section so if you are interested in advertising her on here then let me know.

• Like 1

I would love to give the car to a Jeep person.  I am sure it would have been what dad would have wanted.  Once the MOT is completed I will advertise it.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, parkgreen said:

I would love to give the car to a Jeep person.  I am sure it would have been what dad would have wanted.  Once the MOT is completed I will advertise it.

Absolutely

• Platinum Member
22 hours ago, parkgreen said:

Hopefully brake cylinder arriving today and then garage can complete its MOT.  Then will be ready for sale.

Sweet- hopefully its fixed..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.  Well the garage sourced and fitted a new brake cylinder.  However I am sorry to say it failed its MOT as they picked up corrosion of the fuel and LPG tank.  I can't spend anymore money on it as I have run out of funds.  I have enough to settle the outstanding garage bill.  I can sell for scrap £160 or if someone wants to make me an offer to strip it for parts or buy it as a project?  Anything towards the garage bill would be a bonus.  But I think, like my dad, the Jeep in its present state is probably RIP.  Let me know if anyone is interested and I can give you the garage phone number for you to get more information.  The Jeep is in Tiverton at present but the garage can deliver it for a charge.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

I'm guessing that the LPG system is an underslung cylinder that replaces the original plastic petrol tank and it also has a small steel petrol tank alongside it. Probably a TinleyTech tank (approx £300+VAT). I looked on their website and it is showing as out of stock, hopefully not discontinued.

The cheapest fix is to temporarily install a second-hand plastic petrol tank. Deactivate the LPG system, remove the LPG cylinder and small petrol tank and their frame. Don't throw any of it away as the new owner will need it to get the right replacement parts (custom made stainless steel petrol tank and a standardised LPG cylinder). The Jeep's original fuel pump and sender will be in the top side of the small petrol tank. The pump/sender is expensive, so you definitely don't want anyone chucking it away, especially if the used plastic tank doesn't have one fitted. Charlton Recycled Autoparts is probably the best place to find a used tank right now. They might make you an offer for the Jeep but you will be better off selling it privately on here or on eBay.

Here is the latest invoice showing all the stuff that has been done.  The mechanic is not confident in removing the LPG tank and has only been able to locate a garage in Bristol who will do it.  However I gave myself a limit to sort the car out and make it road worthy and I am now over that.  I will pass only your comments to the garage and see what they think.

Thanks

car invoice.pdf

• Platinum Member

I downloaded the MoT history today to see what it failed on and what work is needed.

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

Rear Prop shaft bearing likely to break up appears to be wrong joint fitted, very loose in yokes (6.1.7 (b) (ii))

An easy fix with the correct part.

Fuel system component defective in the case of LPG/CNG/ LNG or hydrogen systems gas tank corroded, gas tank mounting frame excessively corroded (6.1.3 (f))

See my post above. If the mounting frame is unusable, the boot floor may also need repairs if a plastic tank can no longer be secured. Replacement stainless steel mounting straps are easy to find on eBay.

Repair immediately (major defects):

Headlamp aim too low both (4.1.2 (a))

Can be manually adjusted on the headlamp bucket.

Emissions not tested due to very bad running and excessive smoke (8.2.1.2 (d))

Smoke: PCV hose or valve blocked with carbonised oil gunk - replace or clean hose, valve. If emulsified oil, investigate further.

Smoke: Worn piston rings - compression test each cylinder

Bad running: Steel tank with E5 fuel left standing - With tank condensation, E10 goes off as quick as milk. If the tank is internally rusty, the fuel filter will be blocked. Plastic tank and new fuel filter will fix if filter was not damaged.

Bad running: LPG may have clogged gas filter or solids in the vapouriser. If bad running on both fuels it is engine related, if bad running on one fuel it is that fuel system.

Nearside Front Drag link end ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))

Aftermarket urethane dust covers are cheap and easy to find in every US car part shop but not in the UK. Rockauto.com is the best place to find DORMAN brand boots here. They usually come in a pack with two or more sizes. The premium brand for these parts is EnergySuspension and you might find a UK stockist.

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material both pipes on rear axle (1.1.11 (c))

Make new hard lines

Sadly, the government has terrified our nation about health and safety and this now has an effect where simple tasks have to be performed by certified, qualified individuals and the legal risks of doing so without the paperwork are too scary for many businesses.

Changing a LPG cylinder is no more dangerous than changing a BBQ gas bottle. It requires a competent person that is aware of the risks and does the job safely. As the tank is corroded the simplest way to make it safe is to run the engine on LPG until the tank is empty. The engine stops when it has no more LPG to burn. There will be some residual gas pressure in the tank but it will be safe as long as none of the valves or fittings are unscrewed from the tank. I have no idea what scrapyards do with LPG equipped vehicles, I guess there must be some regulated process they have to comply with for disposal of LPG tanks.

• Platinum Member

The invoiced parts prices and labour are reasonable. The only surprise was the ABS pump reconditioning. I don't remember an ABS fault in your previous posts.

Without an MoT it might be hard to cover the costs of the repairs so far. This really is a project car for an enthusiast not a car dealer or someone looking for a cheap 4x4. For a DIYer I reckon £400-£500 to sort out the LPG and poor running, less than £100 for all of the rest of the MoT issues.

Insurers consider a classic car to be more than 15 years old and worth more than £15,000 . To us Jeepers, the XJ is already a classic but it still has some way to go to reach those values and a lot more XJs will no doubt have to be scrapped to achieve the scarcity value.

There are not many for sale at the moment. I found this one in a similar predicament to yours for £800. See what happens on that auction and try selling yours for a starting price between £499-£999. Drop the price in £50 reductions if it doesn't attract bidders over whatever time you can afford to wait. If you do get fed up with it and are serious about selling it for scrap value, please come back here before you do so. The engine alone is worth more than the scrap.

Good luck.

Edited by V
Changed amounts for auction selling