TJ rear window or Liftgate

PortlandBill

• Platinum Member

Hi Guys 

I am a new members and looking for some help.

The rear window / liftgate for my TJ hardtop was smashed , any idea where I can source a replacement ?   Auto glass have no idea …

Thank you 

• Platinum Member

Hi , I would start with the net and try contacting helpful dismantlers like Charlton at Cambridge.  I've had bits off them for a long time. The last time a few months ago, they couldn't help but gave me the name of a dealer in Somerset that I'd never heard of who did!

The glass in my Yj rear  is flat. Is yours the same? If so you should be able to  get a glass company like Autoglass  to make one, they are happy to make a screen. Ok you will forgo a heated back light but its better than having a hole!

Hope this helps, welcome aboard!

• 11 months later...

managed to break mine on my JKU hardtop - after Autowindscreens have been sent 4 all of the wrong size (presume they are JL - narrower when fitted), they've gone to the Jeep dealers (who couldn't get a part number - I had to source) and have been quoted 1 months lead time to the UK from Italy!

Fortunately I've got the soft-top on; but perhaps a lesson here - treat your rear glass with a lot of care!!  If not, part number is: Mopar 68089014AB Rear Window Hardtop Glass in Deep Tint for 11-18 Jeep.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Matt said:

after Autowindscreens have been sent 4 all of the wrong size

I wonder if they will investigate why they were sent 4 incorrect windows and fix the root cause of the problem or if they just waste time and money creating inconvenience whenever the same repair is repeated on another Jeep.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

they've gone to the Jeep dealers (who couldn't get a part number - I had to source)

That is shocking that a Jeep dealer couldn't identify the correct part number. Did the dealer do a VIN lookup and still not identify the part number?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

been quoted 1 months lead time to the UK from Italy!

Not a single rear window held in stock in the UK? If so, why not?

Is it actually in stock in Italy or are they having some shipped over from the USA?

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, V said:

Not a single rear window held in stock in the UK? If so, why not?

Is it actually in stock in Italy or are they having some shipped over from the USA?

..you think that's bad? That big crack I had in my JKU front screen at Tuff Terrains in April, took over a month to get a new front screen  in and fitted, none in the UK they said had to come in from Italy. 

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

Dealers that can't identify parts, poor or no replacement part stock in the UK relying on parts to arrive from Italy. Has Jeep secretly left the UK after Brexit?

I wonder if parts for the American or Australian markets have to be supplied from Italy, they are not in the EU either?

I didn't, but based upon earlier suggestions on this thread I did suggest breakers, but not something I think considered, due to warranty on repairs.  

Thing I was pleased about though: it was treated in the same way as a windscreen replacement under my policy.  Tim's experience is pretty bad - can't drive the vehicle, nor secure it with no windscreen 

• Platinum Member

I had my Renegade's rear window broken (by the lazy gardeners who ran off as soon as it happened)

I was also told by the dealership that there was no parts in the UK and it would have to came from Italy. 1 month lead time.

• Platinum Member

I guess FCA are either:

• trying to save money by avoiding carrying UK spare parts stock or
  • upset about Brexit and punishing their UK customers for it or
  • not bothered about stimulating grey imports from the USA

Whatever their reason, it's just not good enough. If FCA sell vehicles in the UK from franchised dealers, FCA must have spare parts in stock in the UK. Waiting a month for parts to be imported is unacceptable. Customers have no hope of repairing problems discovered at MoT test with genuine parts within the retest period. Another full test fee will have to be paid in addition to the problem of not having a working vehicle for a month or more.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, V said:

I guess FCA are either:

Whatever their reason, it's just not good enough. If FCA sell vehicles in the UK from franchised dealers, FCA must have spare parts in stock in the UK. Waiting a month for parts to be imported is unacceptable. Customers have no hope of repairing problems discovered at MoT test with genuine parts within the retest period. Another full test fee will have to be paid in addition to the problem of not having a working vehicle for a month or more.

exactly what happened with our Compass. ☹️ Shocking really 

• Platinum Member

Did the Compass stay at the MoT garage waiting for parts or did you bring it home? If it stayed at the garage I bet they loved it hogging their storage space for a month.

For people that don't have off street parking, an MoT fail is a big problem. If you take your vehicle in for an MoT to get the benefit of the maximum number of days before expiry and the car fails, what do you do? Some think that because the car still has an unexpired MoT pass they are OK to continue driving it until the MoT expires. However, because the MoT is now computerised. It is simple for the Police to identify which vehicles have failed an MoT. I don't know if this info pops up on their ANPR system. As far as I know, you can legally drive a failed car home from an MoT, but after that you cannot legally drive a vehicle on a public road that you know is unsafe. A recently recorded MoT failure is a certain indicator of an unsafe vehicle, even if it still has an unexpired test certificate from the year before.

I would not be surprised if after discovering a month or more wait is required for parts to get an MoT pass, some owners will buy another make of car instead of being without transport. The Jeep will get sold with or without an MoT depending on their access to off street parking.

• Platinum Member
On 11/08/2022 at 12:29, V said:

I guess FCA are either:

A number of recent experiences shared by JOC members has led me to conclude that Jeep has no real interest in the UK market any more.