Off roading near Barmouth.

digger

• Platinum Member

Hi Everyone, 

Does anyone know anything about  'Pay and Play ' at Cyfennedd Woods ,Llyngwryl in North Wales. I thought i might organise something in a month or so's time . Anyone else interested?

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

While I kinda agree with John on P&P sites this does look like an interesting one. According to some comments about this site it seems they might have arranged it to feel more like green laning. There's more of an expedition feel to it rather than just going pointlessly round in circles. There is apparently camping  on the 600 acre site and the youtube video does look rather fun. I've also been very close to here because Bomber lane runs through the middle of the woods ( although doesn't actually go in them ) so there are also some pretty good green lanes too in the area that could be done as well. Could be one to make 2 or 3 days of if it can be group booked for the club. If it can't then it looks like it might be big enough to get away from other people in.

So in answer to your question Digger, a meet up here in October, yes I could be interested.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Would be very interested but it is 5-6 hours from Portsmouth and in a V8 🤑🤑 if I can't get the stereo working right I can always just watch the fuel guage drop 😱😱😱 If it was over a weekend with camping I would do it, get Friday off work and travel up and spend all weekend 👍

• Platinum Member

Hi everyone, I've been trying to contact the site but so far no response to phone/message/text etc. Bit concerning so I've looked for others. Someone said try Abergele? Any thoughts? I looked at 'Tuff Terrains' which is a brill site but  it says 'Permanently Closed' . Any one know anything about this? Reopen? Up for sale ?

Any other ideas?

• Platinum Member

I haven't spoken to Bernie for a year. I just left a message for him. I can't get to see him until the first week of October.

• Like 1

• Area Representative

Its a bit of a brutal site.  Been a couple of times.  Used FOR  logging and the tracked logging machine makes really deep ruts. Very muddy when wet with a swamp area full of submerged stumps and narrow tracks through trees with many dead ends.  My TJ took a battering and I am not one to be precious about it.  Would be  pointless for renegades. I struggled  on 31's. If I had a shiny 50k Jeep I would avoid  it to be honest .  Its certainly not like a green lane trip at all deffo in the Pay and Play category.  If you wanted to go all around the site you would need 35's and lockers.

• Platinum Member

Sounds a bit like some parts of Langdale Quest that was in Yorkshire. Submerged rocks are bad enough but stumps are worse.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Um maybe not such a good idea. Cheers for the videos. Looks fun but the yj is too rare and precious for it.

I won't use Facebook either!

Any other suggestions.  Three Sisters, any comments. I was told there is a site near Haye on Wye but I can't find anything.

• Area Representative

If you look on my profile picture (the one with me winching amongst trees in some woods) that was taken at the site.

Digger see my post regarding Hawkstoen on the 12th.

• Platinum Member

I have just had a phone conversation with Bernie. Tuff Terrains was closed for COVID but is now open again. I have booked the weekend of Sat 30th and Sun 31st October provisionally, but I need to confirm within a few days. Can someone from management give me a call or email.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

V.  Well , as far as I can see I'm up for that!  C'mon anyone else reading this, V has made a super effort re  one of the best available sites in the uk, Let's give him and our management team plenty of support.  

I'll take a look at Clyro thanks. Anyone else done it? any good?

Thanks for videos too. Looks fun but best to wait until after I've done my regear I reckon.

Stu, thanks for info. Unfortunately I'm booked for Whitecliff and whilst I'd love to come there as well , I suspect in my current state of health I will be unable to face the drive . I'll have to see on the day.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I haven't been to Clyro in the last ten years. It was a nice little woodland site on a hill with some pretty good technical sections. In the old days a lot of it could be driven in a stock XJ, but there could be a lot of three and two wheel moments when the terrain used up all of a stock Cherokee's articulation.

As the date Bernie had left is at the end of October, I stand a reasonable chance of getting a Jeep road legal to get there. I am counting myself in. So that's two for Tuff Terrains so far.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Spookie, I don't know By how much but TT must be quite a bit less than Barmouth  I think because its in mid Wales near Llandrindod wells if that helps.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
52 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi Spookie, I don't know By how much but TT must be quite a bit less than Barmouth  I think because its in mid Wales near Llandrindod wells if that helps.

Cheers digger, will stick it into Google maps and have a look👍

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, digger said:

Looks to be about 187 mile from me but if it was over a weekend with camping I would be interested  👍👍

• Platinum Member

It is over a weekend. I will be camping on site. I used to live 30 mins away, but I will have 260 miles to drive. I think I will travel overnight and arrive at Crossgates cafe for breakfast on Saturday.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
8 hours ago, V said:

I have just had a phone conversation with Bernie. Tuff Terrains was closed for COVID but is now open again. I have booked the weekend of Sat 30th and Sun 31st October provisionally, but I need to confirm within a few days. Can someone from management give me a call or email.

Hi Vince and thanks for getting in touch with Bernie. OK to call you tomorrow?

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi Vince, I haven't heard any more re Tuff Terrains at the end of the month.  However, just a note to let you know that unfortunately I will not be able to come this time. As you have probably read I had a little issue at Aldermarston which broke my front driveshaft. I have decided to fit a Chrome moly conversion kit  whilst doing the regear. Its ordered but coming from USA. I guess with my current health issue I won't be back on road until Christmas. If you are still going have a gr8 time.

• Platinum Member

Sadly, no. I had to let the date go because it was too close to Aldermaston. I am booking another date for next spring that I can guarantee will go ahead, you won't miss it. I might actually need your help on a particular aspect of that event so you have a place reserved if you are interested. I will let you know shortly. As a member organised event, JOC management know what I am up to, but I can't give out details just yet.