Shock absorbers

Surfer

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, PDB said:

Not sure this is correct V?

Any import will attract at least 20%VAT on import if over the allowed waived amount (I think about $100 from USA). Other duties/taxes may or may not apply, including FedEx handling. Or at least every import I have has (which is quite a few).

Yeah, Vince is right on this Paolo. Rock Auto are really on the ball with this, they are registered for UK vat which means, yes there is 20% VAT on the sale but it is charged to you on the invoice from Rock Auto. They also calculate the duty shipping and handling. You do pay them, but they add it all up and charge it on the invoice so you can see what you’re paying at the time of purchase rather than paying ( and finding out exactly how much) on delivery. If you order from many other US suppliers, Quadratec for example they are not registered for UK VAT, the invoice is in US$ without VAT , if they ship FedEx then FedEx do the customs clearance and you get a bill later with the VAT, duty and handling. Either way you stil pay the VAT and the duty and the shipping and the handling, it just depends when that happens. This is why Rock Auto are so fast, because all of the charges are done at point of sale.I think the current limit for attracting duty in the old pre Brexit way is £135.00 or about $185, if your order is less than that then the supplier has to charge you UK VAT, which means they need to register for UK VAT and collect it on behalf of the UK government. This is something that a lot of suppliers just can’t be bothered with understandably and will not supply orders under the £135.00 limit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

It is worth while taking the time to learn the 'multiple warehouse' 'choose for me' features to save money on shipping. RockAuto will select alternative parts within the ranges you specify to get your requirements fulfilled from as few shipping warehouses as they can.

• Platinum Member

It does not seem that RockAuto cater for the CRD as the reference is only for a 3.6L petrol and no mention of self levelling .  Locally just to add to the confusion although I input the Reg number of the vehicle it does not identify the vehicle as an Overland Summit with air suspension and levelling.  On some Bilsteins and other brands write ups on technical specs there is reference to no self levelling, levelling etc., so I would need to be very careful what I need to purchase.  Makes it all very confusing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Oh well Jeep is in for its MOT and service at Oxford Jeep so will see what transpires from there. Thanks for all the help as it has been brilliant and very informative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Update - This year no mention of leaking shock or issue with steering on Jeep?  No advisories whatsoever.  Weird as I have not had the advisories from last year repaired.  However the Jeep Health Check shows that rear pads worn 90% and rear discs corroded so those will need to be replaced ASAP.