Shock absorbers

Surfer

• Platinum Member

Hopefully some can steer me in the right direction.  2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland Summit with air suspension.  According to advisory one of the rear shock absorbers is leaking.  Dealer wants an arm and leg and some more.

I don't want something cheap, just something at a reasonable price that is good and reasonably long lasting.  Bilstein at about £120 each for the rear shocks are probably a bit much and then you have the fitting cost.  Any suggestions please?  Thanks.

• Platinum Member

I would go with the Bilsteins myself. You may save 50 or 60 a shock with another brand but with a heavy rig I would spend the extra on good shocks. Install cost would be the same on either. 

Their are also adjustable shocks out there where you can go from tarmac to offroad stiff worth a consideration 

• Platinum Member

I probably will spend the extra on Bilsteins however I need the ones for the Jeep with air suspension as apparently there is a difference.  Not really an off roader as it is mainly used for towing the caravan.  Also need rear shocks for OH's 1997 Toyota Corolla, but that has done a lot more mileage than the Jeep.  Toyota 115k Jeep 62k.  LOL!

Where is the best place to buy the Bilsteins?  Probably get our local garage to fit them which is about 30 minutes each side?  Thanks for excellent advice again.

• Platinum Member

For clarification on the MOT advisories it stated "Nearside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect". 

• Platinum Member

The minimum requirement for safety is to replace both left and right on an axle. The best way is to change all four shocks as they will wear out at roughly the same mileage. You get the best benefit for ride quality, handling and tyre wear by changing all four.

Good quality dampers have around 60,000 miles of usage before they start to degrade. If you change them when they are leaking you have probably been driving around for a year or two on worn out shocks. Replacing suspension on luxury cars is always expensive as the manufacturers tend to use exotic parts that hardly have any alternative sources. If you decide to replace the suspension, it is a false economy not to replace all of the wear parts like strut bearings and bushings at the same time.

If you are not emotionally invested in your Jeep, you might consider buying used parts from a breaker to get it through the MoT then selling the Jeep as is.

KYB load levelling shocks. These are a high quality brand.

Not sure if this is the right part. Try to find out what the correct Mopar part number is for the part you need.

• Platinum Member

Another alternative that various Range Rover owners have done is to convert their suspension to a non-self levelling system.

A conversion will count as an insurance notifiable modification. The conventional parts will be a lot cheaper than the self levelling system. I have no idea if this is a common mod or if it is even possible on a Grand Cherokee. It is difficult to say if a conversion will make your vehicle more or less desirable on the used market. It depends on how buyers perceive the cost and reliability of the factory fitted levelling system. It is something to look into for a get-you-running solution.

• Platinum Member

A conversion is going to affect electronic systems on the Jeep like ESC/ESP (Electronic Stabiliity Control/Program) and ABS so is not something that can be done without research particularly if these systems are mandatory legal requirements on your age of vehicle. If your ESC shows an error light on the dashboard because it cannot run a system check on a non existent air-suspension component it will be an MoT fail.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

There are lift kits on the market to replace the complete Air suspension system of the Jeep WK2 but they put a note at the bottom of their Advert that removing the Air Suspension system will trigger a Warning message in the Dash to service your Air suspension. According to them the message will clear once you start driving the Jeep. The Rocky Road System has different options with a Price range from $1600 to $2000 + shipping and Import Tax. I don't know if they have distributors in the UK.

V is not wrong about the possibility to end up with a light in the Dash by deleting the Air Suspension System. There might be a way around that with a professional Scan Tool or a Jeep Dealer Computer but better enquiring before the mod than after. 

There are Jeep WK2 Forums online and Groups on Facebook and I know that many WK2 owners in USA have replaced their Air Suspension by Coil Springs systems so It might be worth joining groups and asking questions if you seriously think about doing it. 

https://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-quadra-lift-kit.html

• Platinum Member

Our Jeep is mainly used for off road and we do not want to disable the self levelling as it is a bonus for me getting in and out of the vehicle.  All I want to do is replace the current shocks with another reasonably priced quality shock absorbers.  I want to maintain the vehicle as stock as it has a full dealer service history and only 65k on the clock although it is a 2012 model.  Thanks.

• Platinum Member

It is good that some people still like to keep their Jeeps in factory specifications. These examples become the well looked after classics at auctions in later years.

With this in mind, your repair options are limited to:

• New Mopar replacement parts - The no hassle choice, just expensive
  • Used parts from a breaker - Taking a chance on component longevity, potentially higher labour and parts costs long term
  • New after-market compatible parts - Can sometimes be a risk depending on level of compatibility and quality

At 65K miles your suspension is at the threshold for replacement. With reactive maintenance only repairing what is broken at the time, you might have to pay more in labour charges over the period of ownership than proactive maintenance replacing matched systems or sub-assemblies spending more on components but with only one labour charge to fit. Only you can decide which approach is right for you.

I wish you well, whatever you decide and hope that you find the right solution for you and your Jeep.

• Platinum Member
2 minutes ago, V said:

It is good that some people still like to keep their Jeeps in factory specifications. These examples become the well looked after classics at auctions in later years.

With this in mind, your repair options are limited to:

• New Mopar replacement parts - The no hassle choice, just expensive
  • Used parts from a breaker - Taking a chance on component longevity, potentially higher labour and parts costs long term
  • New after-market compatible parts - Can sometimes be a risk depending on level of compatibility and quality

At 65K miles your suspension is at the threshold for replacement. With reactive maintenance only repairing what is broken at the time, you might have to pay more in labour charges over the period of ownership than proactive maintenance replacing matched systems or sub-assemblies spending more on components but with only one labour charge to fit. Only you can decide which approach is right for you.

I wish you well, whatever you decide and hope that you find the right solution for you and your Jeep.

Your advice is really appreciated, but it comes to modern cars I am lost.  Mopar parts are probably over priced for what you get as prefer to fit equivalent or better.  I thought that the Offside Front Inner Steering linkage ball joint with slight play issue is not related to the rear shock absorbers which is why I thought of having the one job done and then at later date the other.  Deciding which one to have done first is my dilemma as neither seem to be affecting the handling of the vehicle although on bumpy roads I do get the occasional thud.  As said Jeep is used of towing our 2000kg caravan.

• Platinum Member

Do the steering first as it is more important for safety. Both issues can have an affect on adverse tyre wear but the steering ball joint will eventually lead to a misalignment. You should have your tracking checked after replacing the steering links.

Some unscrupulous car dealer might wipe and degrease a misting shock to look like it had been swapped out with a used part. A shock can mist a little and still be functional for some time. When the oil leakage turns to a spatter or worse, the shock must be replaced.

• Platinum Member
38 minutes ago, V said:

Do the steering first as it is more important for safety. Both issues can have an affect on adverse tyre wear but the steering ball joint will eventually lead to a misalignment. You should have your tracking checked after replacing the steering links.

Some unscrupulous car dealer might wipe and degrease a misting shock to look like it had been swapped out with a used part. A shock can mist a little and still be functional for some time. When the oil leakage turns to a spatter or worse, the shock must be replaced.

Thanks and will take your advice.  I will probably get the local Inde to replace both front ball joints first once the MOT has been done. 

• Platinum Member
On 30/08/2021 at 16:22, Surfer said:

For clarification on the MOT advisories it stated "Nearside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect". 

I just had that on my Skoda, so I asked the receptionist, 'well which is it?' She had no idea...

• Platinum Member
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi.

If you have any issues with insurance for change of suspension then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Platinum Member

Hi Surfer, 

I done a little write up recently, I have just fitted bilsteins to the rear of my 2013 - WK2. 

Although they are not listed as fitting the WK2 with air suspension I can assure they do. 

I have air suspension as well, and done 1500 miles now since fitting mine. 

mall the part numbers and tools you need are in the little write up. Nice easy one. 

Hope it helps, any queries let me know. 

thanks Mike 

• Platinum Member

Thanks Mike as it is the Bilstein I favour at the moment as reasonably priced for a good quality shock absorber.  Rockauto may be good, but don't want the hassle of importation etc.  I prefer a simple life.  LOL!

• Platinum Member

With RockAuto if you choose FedEx as the carrier the purchase is just like buying online from a UK retailer. All VAT and import charges are included at the time of purchase and no nasty surprise waybills afterwards.

• Platinum Member
3 minutes ago, V said:

With RockAuto if you choose FedEx as the carrier the purchase is just like buying online from a UK retailer. All VAT and import charges are included at the time of purchase and no nasty surprise waybills afterwards.

Concern is if part is faulty or the wrong part, returning it could be an issue?  I don't know as I have never used them and have no idea how long it would take them to deliver to the UK plus Fedex costs? 

Apparently there are two different types of shock absorbers for 2012 Jeep one for normal vehicles and the other for those with self levelling.  Concern is ordering the incorrect shock or ball joints.

• Platinum Member

FedEx prices are shown at ordering time in GBP.

Average FedEx time to me in Wales is 3 days, longest has been 7 days, shortest 2 days.

• Platinum Member

Bilstein have various outlets in the UK including sales from their head office in Leicestershire

I was surprised to find that they even sell reservoir shocks in the UK now. 🙂

It's worth shopping around for the best price

• Platinum Member

Bilstein 👍. Been buying since fitting to a Lotus 40years ago. Never had any problems with many sets and they are good for advice too re model to use. 

OME seem good too(first time I've had them, on  YJ) but the paint rust bubbles  off fairly quickly!