Off road insurance

Caroline12

• Platinum Member

Who do you recommend for off road insurance? 
direct line have given me until 26th August, then my insurance is cancelled, as they don’t do off roading.

• Platinum Member

Adrian Flux. Off road and mods all OK. I have used them for all my Jeeps even the '79 CJ7, no problems.

I think Jim O. recommends NFU ? 

Some people recommend A Plan, they are, in my experience.......er, useless, but others seem to be OK.

Both Adrian Flux and A-Plan are club sponsors.....for whatever that's worth

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

A-Plan and Adrian Flux are club sponsors, offering club discounts and understand 4x4, mods, off roading etc.

Start there for sure.

I ended up with NFU as they insure my house and was pleasantly surprised when adding 4 Jeeps to the policy, declaring ALL mods from 950hp Trackhawk to Rubicon with lift, winch, exhaust etc they came in at £1200 for the whole lot for daily use. The Trackhawk alone I hear can cost that much.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Thank you, I’m waiting to hear back from Adrian Flux for a quote, just got off the phone with NFU, quote tomorrow. 
I’ll phone Aplan tomorrow 👍

• Platinum Member

I use 4x4 Insurance from Lancaster which covers green laning and off-road.  They don't seem too bothered about mods.  I also took their breakdown service which covers anywhere in the UK.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi.

Did you get a quotation from ourselves in the end? If you did how did we do?

Regards,

Dan.

• Platinum Member
On 11/08/2021 at 19:16, Volant165 said:

A-Plan and Adrian Flux are club sponsors, offering club discounts and understand 4x4, mods, off roading etc.

Start there for sure.

I ended up with NFU as they insure my house and was pleasantly surprised when adding 4 Jeeps to the policy, declaring ALL mods from 950hp Trackhawk to Rubicon with lift, winch, exhaust etc they came in at £1200 for the whole lot for daily use. The Trackhawk alone I hear can cost that much.

950hp!!!!! Jeeeez 😁 💪 

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Did you get a quotation from ourselves in the end? If you did how did we do?

Regards,

Dan.

hi Dan,

I tried to get an insurance quote from you, first quote was over £1000, the guy said he would get back to me with more quotes, lower ones, but never did.
Phoned up again, got nowhere.

The third time I had a quote eventually of £515, paperwork came through on the quote, it was not great. The guy was nice, but constantly had to ask his manager for info, I didn’t have much confidence in him I’m afraid. 

I got NFU insurance in the end with lots of extras for £510. 

• Platinum Member

I’ve been with all of the above and would recommend NFU as they came out tops when I wanted insurance on my JL

• Platinum Member

I have an unmodified 2018 JLU Sahara that I want to insure for a bit of green laning but the companies I've spoken to so far have said they won't insure me unless I have the Jeep modified in some way - anyone else experienced this?!

• Platinum Member

Alternatively, does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure for off roading for a couple of days at a time? Thanks!!!!

• Platinum Member

I’ve not experienced that response from insurance companies, but I never used to bother with Off Road as I never used to go to “Off Road “ sites. I would green lane on normal insurance as green laning is NOT Off Roading, they are roads which sometimes happen to be poorly surfaced. I guess you’d need to read the policy but I’ve always considered Off Road insurance to be cover for damage caused by the nutters belting round off road sites, not cover for green roads which are vehicular rights of way like any other road. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I see the nutters all the time around Salisbury plain. For example Saturday night, in Salisbury a 4x4 with what looked like broken front suspension 12 miles from the plain, being recovered, how he got there I don’t know, but didn’t happen on the  road he was on. The give away was covered in mud, roof downwards. 
4x4 Vehicles are always being towed and left for recovery pickup around here, especially Land Rover discovery’s.

For insurance I think it all depends upon how you interpret the contract and small print. What is says and what is doesn’t say is equally important. I just took the view my new insurance covers me for off road club events, green lanes etc, because I wanted it to be covered. It was the modifications that knackered the insurance for me with direct line. Direct line only do standard roads, normal vehicles only. 

• Platinum Member

NFU covered the off road bit no probs, but they expect it, farmers and green lanes etc, higher price, but that’s the price of piece of mind and legal cover protection.

• Platinum Member
Carlie@Aplan
On 11/08/2021 at 16:09, Caroline12 said:

Who do you recommend for off road insurance? 
direct line have given me until 26th August, then my insurance is cancelled, as they don’t do off roading.

Hi,

Only just seen this, with 3 days to go! We cover off-roading, pay&play club events and like for like cover for modifications - if you still need help, give us a call on 01635 874646

Carlie

EDIT: just seen you got it sorted with NFU when my screen decided to refresh as originally only loaded up the first post and looked like you'd had no replies! Glad you got it sorted 🙂

Edited by Carlie@Aplan
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
On 20/08/2021 at 07:51, Caroline12 said:

hi Dan,

I tried to get an insurance quote from you, first quote was over £1000, the guy said he would get back to me with more quotes, lower ones, but never did.
Phoned up again, got nowhere.

The third time I had a quote eventually of £515, paperwork came through on the quote, it was not great. The guy was nice, but constantly had to ask his manager for info, I didn’t have much confidence in him I’m afraid. 

I got NFU insurance in the end with lots of extras for £510. 

Hi.

I'm sorry that you didn't seem to have a particularly positive experience from ourselves. I appreciate you've insured elsewhere but would you be so kind as to PM me your details so I can pass on some feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @Caroline12,

If you don't mind can I ask which insurance you have ended up? War is NFU as you said before?

I am trying to see what other companies are going to quote as well since our driving licence is relatively new in UK. I've got a whopping quote from Adrian Flux 🙂 and wanted to compare the options

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Deniz said:

Hi @Caroline12,

If you don't mind can I ask which insurance you have ended up? War is NFU as you said before?

I am trying to see what other companies are going to quote as well since our driving licence is relatively new in UK. I've got a whopping quote from Adrian Flux 🙂 and wanted to compare the options

Hi Denis,

I got my Jeep renegade insured with NFU, National Farmers mutual insurance. 
sorry I don’t understand “War is NFU” ? 

They are probably not the cheapest, however, I have been charged nothing extra for any modifications. I can go off-road, green landing, tarmac roads, anything, hence a bit more expensive They are incredibly polite and very pleasant to deal with. With the world getting faster and faster, manners and politeness go out the window. 
For me, they are very pleasant do deal with, full cover, my new cover now lists my modifications, including bull bars. 
sometimes the cheapest is not always the best. 
Adrian Flux (£1200) were twice the cost of NFU (£570), road only with no modifications- Direct line (275). So NFU were in the middle of all quotes
hope that helps. 

• Like 1

@JimC Do you know what happened to the other insurance thread that seems to have disappeared since yesterday?  That had some informative answers on what is and isn't covered from AdrianFlux that is likely helpful for others for future reference.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
9 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

@JimC Do you know what happened to the other insurance thread that seems to have disappeared since yesterday?  That had some informative answers on what is and isn't covered from AdrianFlux that is likely helpful for others for future reference.

I'm also interested what happened to the thread as I didn't get to read the response from Adrian Flux.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

On 16/11/2021 at 19:07, Deniz said:

Hi @Caroline12,

Hi Deniz

I've just renewed with APlan and they've always been good for me. £560 including Legal cover and Drive Other Car and Breakdown. I don't think they charged for the mods (bumpers, wheels and lift) just added them to the notes.

Great service from George Hyde@Aplan

• Like 3