Shipping from the US

fen01

• Platinum Member

Hi,

Current dilemma, I am trying to buy from a US company i have previously bought from and they have shipped to the UK with no issue.

Due to Brexit, they have set up their VAT accounts to allow shipping to the UK, I don't think they will do anytime soon.

So, I'm looking for a way round this issue..  Has anyone had experience of buying from the US and using a non-standard method of getting goods into the UK?

• Platinum Member

Yep. Brother arrives tomorrow from Detroit with plenty of jeep goodies for me. Especially my 16 needed iridium NGK plugs for the Trackhawk. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

The "players" must have sorted the Brexit changes etc like Rock Auto. I have post Brexit purchases. 

Otherwise I may have to have members of the Family fly over on a regular basis!F4DE9B69-32A2-46A4-B50B-263C63DABDD7.jpeg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

I ordered some bits from Morris 4x4 in the States and paid through FedEx Cross border, the bits should have been delivered over a month ago but still nothing has arrived. I have emailed Morris and FedEx repeatedly, and even reported the bits lost/not delivered, and get the same reply - "give us a few days to look into it and we will get back to you". Guess what - no one has got back to me. So part of this weekend will be sending even more emails to see if they will get actioned next week, but I am not holding my breath.

To be honest this is the last time I will be using Morris 4x4 😤🙄😡

• Sad 1

I only used myus when the firm I was dealing with wouldn’t ship to uk 

it’s not just the USA now though … I’ve now noticed it’s a lot harder to get parts from Europ … company’s I used to deal with won’t now ship to uk because of brexit 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, John said:

I only used myus when the firm I was dealing with wouldn’t ship to uk 

it’s not just the USA now though … I’ve now noticed it’s a lot harder to get parts from Europ … company’s I used to deal with won’t now ship to uk because of brexit 🤷🏽‍♂️

Was after some touch up paint from local dealers and was told you cant get it as the EU now classifies it as 'corrosive material'. (eventually got some of eBay from Lithuania I think it was)

Was told airbags were a no no also  as now being classified by EU as explosive devises !

Is this all sour grape disruptive  politics / policies  from the lefty Marxist new world order administrations  that the plebs have voted into power ?

Wonder how much myus  charge for tyres transported to my door ?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

The EU tree hugger toxic thing applies to AFE cone filter degreaser. But, I found a supplier that sent it without that label and listed accordingly on the customs bit.

We just need Boris to sign the deal he worked up with the previous President. Current one seems to be a bit anti EU and UK. The benefits will work both ways. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, BLUE STAR said:

Was after some touch up paint from local dealers and was told you cant get it as the EU now classifies it as 'corrosive material'. (eventually got some of eBay from Lithuania I think it was)

Was told airbags were a no no also  as now being classified by EU as explosive devises !

Is this all sour grape disruptive  politics / policies  from the lefty Marxist new world order administrations  that the plebs have voted into power ?

Wonder how much myus  charge for tyres transported to my door ?

If its touch up paint then Chipex can do you up a custom colour. Oddly enough Jeep referred me to them when I wanted some Bikini metallic 

• Platinum Member

the response I got from the US company was

"We aren't currently shipping to the UK.  Brexit created some rather tricky tax rules for us that we are trying to understand."

Oddly, they ship to the Isle on Man.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
10 hours ago, fen01 said:

the response I got from the US company was

"We aren't currently shipping to the UK.  Brexit created some rather tricky tax rules for us that we are trying to understand."

Oddly, they ship to the Isle on Man.

At least you got a reply fen 👍, I am still waiting to hear anything from Morris 4x4 or FedEx about my "missing in action" consignment 😤🤔

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
Forestwalker

I gave up trying to get a couple of rear lens covers due to the insane postage and bought from Germany. The difference was £95 from the US and £19 from Germany. 

• Platinum Member

I believe the VAT issue is only for orders below £135 where retailler has to collect the VAT.  For orders over that amount VAT is still dealt with / collected when package arrives.  But understand many smaller US suppliers may not get it.

• Platinum Member
On 05/08/2021 at 13:06, fen01 said:

Hi,

Current dilemma, I am trying to buy from a US company i have previously bought from and they have shipped to the UK with no issue.

Due to Brexit, they have set up their VAT accounts to allow shipping to the UK, I don't think they will do anytime soon.

So, I'm looking for a way round this issue..  Has anyone had experience of buying from the US and using a non-standard method of getting goods into the UK?

Yep a freight forwarder 

• Platinum Member

You ship to them and they do the rest. To be fair works best for big items. I have done two separate pallet loads that way. Several of them about. Not sure if a minimum load applies 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Perhaps it would be a good idea if we all posted on here all companies that we have dealt with who have given good service etc!  Thoughts?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
19 hours ago, V said:

Not with RockAuto shipping via FedEx, all prepaid at checkout.

Yes, you are right, the vendor can collect and pay on the buyer's behalf for more than £135.  My comment was not clear, I was referring to those sellers that do not want to have to set up for collecting UK VAT.  To that end I have come across some US sellers that will not sell unless the shipment is more than £135.

When I order from Quadratec they ship with FedEx, then when the shipment reaches the UK FedEx invoice me for the duty and VAT.  Others such as RockAuto (and Summit I believe) collect it upfront, then pay it when it is requested by HMRC on the buyer's behalf.  Below and above £135 the process is different for the seller, but in the case of RockAuto that is not visible to the buyer.

The real issue is anyone not set up to deal with UK VAT can't deal witn a sub £135 order, there is no option in that case so no idea what Quadratec would do.

Edited by UKTJ
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

The £135 threshold doesn’t just apply to shipping from the US, it applies anywhere. I think it’s to do with the threshold for attracting duty, when duty is applied the VAT is collected at the same time, if duty is not applied then the VAT is lost so in these cases the government requires foreign sellers to collect UK VAT for it and for this they must be UK VAT registered This is a pain in the neck for a lot of suppliers and is simply not worth the hassle if you don’t do a lot of low value sales into the UK. The UK government introduced this after we left the EU in order to ‘level the playing field’  so that sellers in the EU would not have an advantage over sellers elsewhere in the world, don’t ask me how they would have had an advantage, I can’t see it myself. Anyway, the way to get around this is simples! When you place an order for your next Jeep goodies, make sure it is over £135 and all will be fine. This means when I have to order stuff up from Quadratec I can tell Mrs TimC “ I’m sorry, but I was forced by the government to buy this extra stuff to make it up to over the threshold” 😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, TimC said:

The £135 threshold doesn’t just apply to shipping from the US, it applies anywhere. I think it’s to do with the threshold for attracting duty, when duty is applied the VAT is collected at the same time, if duty is not applied then the VAT is lost so in these cases the government requires foreign sellers to collect UK VAT for it and for this they must be UK VAT registered This is a pain in the neck for a lot of suppliers and is simply not worth the hassle if you don’t do a lot of low value sales into the UK. The UK government introduced this after we left the EU in order to ‘level the playing field’  so that sellers in the EU would not have an advantage over sellers elsewhere in the world, don’t ask me how they would have had an advantage, I can’t see it myself. Anyway, the way to get around this is simples! When you place an order for your next Jeep goodies, make sure it is over £135 and all will be fine. This means when I have to order stuff up from Quadratec I can tell Mrs TimC “ I’m sorry, but I was forced by the government to buy this extra stuff to make it up to over the threshold” 😉😁

To be honest the big driver for making infrequent purchases is the cost of shipping.  But, that notwithstanding, it is often cheaper to buy directly from the US if the seller is used to shipping internationally, as Quadratec are.  For example, earlier in the year I bought a new Bestop twill soft top.  Including shipping, duty and VAT it worked out about £400 cheaper than buying from Jeepey.  It is hard to be exact as I bought a number of items at the same time and it depends how you split up the shipping cost between them.

The problem is that few of the vast number of small US Jeep suppliers have much experience shipping internationally and so the rates they get are dreadful, which tends to mean you are limited to a small number of the bigger players.  Many in US TJ community turn their noses up at people buying from the likes of Quadratec or Morris, instead favouring the likes of Genright, UCF or Savvy.  As an example, the Savvy cable transfer case shifter is highly thought of, it costs $170 which is better than some direct competitor parts, but the shipping quote from Savvy is $243.  Quadratec sell the Novak cable transfer case shifter for $200, but the shipping quote is only $38.

The other issue is that the small US niche players don't produce parts for RHD vehicles, this is despite the fact that in the case of the TJ there are a reasonable number of RHD TJs as they were used by the US postal service.  This means that even where a big seller stocks some of the better regarded makes, such as RockJock (separated from Currie Enterprises), some of their parts are not available to RHD Jeep owners.

Edited by UKTJ
Typo correction

• Platinum Member
On 07/08/2021 at 09:47, spookie the aardvark said:

I ordered some bits from Morris 4x4 in the States and paid through FedEx Cross border, the bits should have been delivered over a month ago but still nothing has arrived. I have emailed Morris and FedEx repeatedly, and even reported the bits lost/not delivered, and get the same reply - "give us a few days to look into it and we will get back to you". Guess what - no one has got back to me. So part of this weekend will be sending even more emails to see if they will get actioned next week, but I am not holding my breath.

To be honest this is the last time I will be using Morris 4x4 😤🙄😡

I was looking into using them to buy something for my renegade, so you don’t recommend them then.

• Platinum Member

I used to use Morris quite a bit while I was doing my CJ7 restoration and they were always pretty good but I have not used them for some time. I have heard ( think it was @neal who posted it ) that they were bought out a year or two ago and things have gone downhill a lot. I can’t comment on how they are for US customers but I’ve heard a lot of people here have had problems with orders and communication.

These days I use Quadratec for accessories and general Jeep goodies, they are really good, or so I’ve found and of course Rock Auto for spare parts, both I’d recommend.  

• Like 1