PROJECT NELLY 2002 4.0 Sahara TJ

Bailey.J.W

Hi everyone 

so….. so far I’ve fitted to my nelly an old man emu 2.5” lift, 30mm wheel spacers, 33” KM3’s, quick disconnect drop links, heavy duty rear drop links and a relocation bracket for the rear track bar. … my question to everyone is what on earth has people done with there front track bar ?  

• Platinum Member

Reposition the axle mount by drilling a new hole for it is the simplest solution at low lift heights.

So what axle gears are you going for with 33s?

12 hours ago, V said:

Reposition the axle mount by drilling a new hole for it is the simplest solution at low lift heights.

So what axle gears are you going for with 33s?

Have you done this if you have do you have any pics ? 
regarding the gear ratio… well the short answer is i dont know yet, I need to double check what I have currently on both my Dana 44 and Dana 30. I know the math I have to do, correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it is 

(the current tyre size (33”) x stock gear ratio) ÷ the old tyre size (29”) = recommend new gear ratio 

• Platinum Member

Yes, I have done it on most of the lifted Jeeps I have owned.

The object is to centralise the front axle at static ride height.

Sorry, I don't have any photos. It's an easy mod to do. You can do it by eye as there is not much material for adjustment on the stock axle.

See video clip

For extra safety, weld a snug fitting heavy gauge washer over the drilled hole for reinforcement or double up with a welded plate.

DON'T RUSH drilling the hole. It is much better to use multiple drill bits getting bigger and bigger to get a perfectly round hole. You can get death wobble if it ovals.

Use cutting oil when drilling.

If you mess up the hole(s) you can restore it using the welded washer.

The best gears for automatic or manuals on 33" tyres are 4.56:1

4.11 in theory are 'correct' on paper but it doesn't take in to consideration the increase in having to accelerate a larger rotating mass.

4.56 also enables you to go up to 35" later if you are happy to accept the performance difference.

For 35" tyres 4.88 gears are best.

Take your time to choose your lockers. Find out how each works and what's not good about them before spending money.

The Eaton E-Locker may be more suitable for drivers of work pickup trucks. They are not my personal choice for a Jeep due to how I like my lockers to work offroad.

If it gets a bit too technical to make a choice, then the Eaton TrueTrac is a wonderful addition to any Jeep. Particularly one that does more tarmac miles than dirt as you get the benefit on tarmac too. Any driver can use them as they are completely automatic and silent. They should have been original equipment in the front and rear of every 4x4 Jeep built except the Rubicons.

• Like 5

• Platinum Member

I have just put the TrueTracs in my XJ, all the benefit of a locker (unless going very off-road or rock crawling maybe) but no switching, or fancy oil additives like you'd have for an LSD. Allows full time 4WD (if you have that in your transfer case) and stops any wheel spin at the same time. Win win. These are essentially what Audi put in their bigger quattros I believe.  I have literally this morning given my XJ it's first long-ish (45 minutes) run in our field (not MOT'd yet). In full-time 4WD, I tried, but could not get it to spin a wheel even on bumpy wet grass.

My Jeep has a 3" lift and I eventually sourced an adjustable track bar with a bracket to drop the chassis end at the same time. As V has said, just rest the Jeep on it's wheels with the steering central and relaxed, and the trackbar disconnected, and see where it wants to line up naturally.

If you go for an adjustable one, don't make the same mistake as I did and end up with a left-hand drive job, which I managed to sell on ebay. There are RHD ones out there (probably mostly thanks to the Aussie market) and with better chassis end attachments too. 

https://kevinsoffroad.com/products/xj-zj-adjustable-double-shear-track-bar-kit-for-right-hand-drive  This is for an XJ clearly, but I'm sure they'll have something for you too (although I had a quick look on this website and couldn't find a RHD one - does it matter on a TJ?) . Whether or not a 2" lift justifies it is up to you...

Edited by Fourpot

• Platinum Member

Way back in 2007 a friend of mine was visiting from California and his visit coincided with another club's annual event at Seven Sisters (Neath). There was a big crowd assembled at the rock crawl hill in the afternoon. I lent my Jeep to MJR for the day and we had got bogged down in mud for most of it. He wasn't used to driving in swampy mud being a rockcrawler. We got to the rock crawl hill late in the day just before the heavy rain started. Being the last driver to attempt the hill, in an XJ not a Wrangler. With it now pouring down with rain, the crowd of mostly TJ drivers disappeared quickly. One guy, a fellow XJ driver stayed behind to watch MJR take on the hill. We got soaked spotting but it is one of the most memorable things I have seen my '93 XJ accomplish. MJR crawled my TrueTrac XJ up the wet rocks making it look effortless compared to how I have seen others attempt it in dry conditions.

Even though a Wrangler will not see much street use from a front axle TrueTrac, they are still worth considering particularly for driving in snow or for wet boat launch slipways when you can use part-time 4wd.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

I'm not sure if the question on a front adjustable track bar for a TJ is still 'live', but there is a UK source for one.  Try this link..

https://www.nolathane.com.au/product_detail_REV.php?part_number=REV144.0002&sq=39063

This is the only one I can find.

Nolathane list a rear adjustable trackbar for the TJ, but their sister brand Whiteline also do one for less here...

https://ukwhitelineperformance.com/collections/panhard-rod/products/w82688-panhard-rod

Hope that helps somebody.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

I'm not sure if the question on a front adjustable track bar for a TJ is still 'live', but there is a UK source for one.  Try this link..

https://www.nolathane.com.au/product_detail_REV.php?part_number=REV144.0002&sq=39063

This is the only one I can find.

Nolathane list a rear adjustable trackbar for the TJ, but their sister brand Whiteline also do one for less here...

https://ukwhitelineperformance.com/collections/panhard-rod/products/w82688-panhard-rod

Hope that helps somebody.

I am sure that will be of interest. It's always good to find another RHD parts source.