Running cable through the firewall....

Chris85

• Platinum Member

Morning / Afternoon / Evening all

So, I have a new project to install a CB radio into the cab of our 2018 JL. The CB unit itself will be installed under the passenger seat and powered via the outlet near the fuse box (so I am told).

My issue is with the antenna itself. We have made a bracket for the antenna to mount to the nearside edge of the bonnet, using the existing bolt holes, shaping the bracket accordingly. My issue is with feeding the coax cable through the firewall to the cab to connect to the CB unit. 

A friend of mine has lent me his cable rods to help feed the unit but I am finding almost zero online tutorials on how to feed such a cable through the firewall on a Eu spec Diesel JL. Plenty for the US spec petrol versions though.

If anyone has any advice, pictures of videos to help with this it would be massively appreciated.

Cheers, 

Chris 

• Platinum Member

i fed a lot of cables through a blank on the drivers side, quite near to the steering column, i think there is a grommet or something that i fed them through, it is not easy to find anywhere on the passenger side.

• Platinum Member

Side note:

Ive seen other people (mostly in the US) mount their antennas to the rear tailgate and feed the cable through under the carpet. Would this give good enough signal and any grounding issues you could foresee?

Cheers, 

• Platinum Member

Agree with @frosty

There is a handy grommet on the bulkhead just next to the steering column on the JK which is just the job for a cable feed from the engine bay. Don't know about the JL though.

However, @fen01 has his CB aerial on his JL mounted on a bracket on the Spare wheel carrier and there do not appear to be any problems with reception. Apparently the cable is an easy feed through the tailgate, takes about 45 minutes all in. He'd be able to tell you more.

I have my aerial mounted on the spare carrier on my JK too and also have no problems. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

This is all great help. I feel that the rear mounted option will be the easiest to achieve without the need to start taking loads of body panels out. 

@fen01 , would greately apprecaite your suggestions / thoughts on this. 

• Platinum Member

Another alternative is to go underneath and up through the transmission tunnel aperture where the gear stick/shifter sits.

• Platinum Member

So, I've ordered a Teraflex bracket for the tailgate. Don't have the means to create my own so will see how this goes. 

• Area Representative

A lot of folks i know have moved away from CBs and go Hand held pmr now when out in groups.   Used to find half the time people who have CB's dont have them tuned it right anyway.    Maybe an easier option ?

• Platinum Member
On 14/07/2021 at 16:29, Chris85 said:

This is all great help. I feel that the rear mounted option will be the easiest to achieve without the need to start taking loads of body panels out. 

@fen01 , would greately apprecaite your suggestions / thoughts on this. 

This is the bracket I purchased 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XDHS1LR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I ran the cable from it through a grommet in the tailgate along side the factory loom coming out of the tailgate (some you tube videos show them running antenna cable in harness cover. 

once inside the back of the vehicle it is a case of removing the carpet and load hooks, unclipping the trim around the rear seat belt mount and subwoofer, then following wiring looms in the car already. 

I have had to extend mine, but have managed to run from tailgate to a coil under front passenger seat ready for when I need to mount cb in cab area. 

ignore the mount they are using in this video. It will show you how to remove the Tim in the boot area. 

• Like 1