Oil change issue?

Surfer

• Platinum Member

We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland Summit and I have had a message flash up on the screen stating that an oil change is due.  The Jeep was serviced by Jeep dealership in Sept 2019 and had oil change as per our service contract.  It was serviced again in Sept 2020 for its 8th year service or 100k however they mistakenly did not do the 100k service and instead did a lessor or basic service with no oil change.  I challenged this and they agreed to do the correct service for the year although the Jeep had only done 60k.  Current mileage is 65k or it has done about 12k since its service in Sept 2019.

I pulled out invoices for servicing last year in Sept & Oct 2020 and no mention of an oil change on either invoice? The oil change is part of the 100k or 8 year service and is the first thing on the list of maintenance items.
They have listed the following;

Drive belt change
Fuel filter x 2????
Jeep Wrangler Oil filter
GS Heavy duty coolant
Screenwash additive

No mention of oil change or oil being itemised.  On the 2019 invoice for service the oil change is listed as each individual item is itemised with its cost. It now seems that the oil was never changed despite it being the 12 month interval?  I only picked this up because of the message that flashed up about oil change due when vehicle has only done about 6k since its major service..

• Platinum Member

It does sound a bit odd that you get a line item for a Wrangler oil filter change on a Grand Cherokee and no charge for oil. It is not unusual for the same oil filter to be used on other models. My 4.0L Jeep filters are the same as the 3.3L Chrysler V6. I don't get the point of a service that doesn't change the engine oil, but I guess I'm just too 20th century to understand.

Most dealers are happy to change the engine oil with customer supplied oil if it is the correct specification for the vehicle. I had an arrangement with a dealer service manager many years ago to always do certain extra service checks no matter what the service schedule specified and to bill me accordingly. Everything that could be greased was done and all joints checked for wear. I also supplied my own oil in two 5L (or 4L) jugs. The second jug would be in the Jeep cabin on collection with the correct leftover amount in it for top-ups.

• Platinum Member

I spoke with the dealer and they state that the oil was changed but not recorded on the invoice.  Strange as everything else was recorded.  Rather than risk it I am paying National garage to do an oil change.  Cost is £112 for a compatible low ash oil.  Jeep want £250 for the same oil change.  I will not be renewing our service contract with them as no longer trust them and will be using a local Indie.

• Platinum Member

As your Jeep has an oil change reminder, resetting it was probably missed at the last service. Whoever, does the next one will need to reset it too. Some cars can do this from a fancy infotainment system, others need an OBD2 scan tool or similar OEM gadget. Check what your handbook says.

• Platinum Member

Handbook tells you how to reset it.  A bit complicated but should manage.  Thanks.

• Platinum Member

Sadly, as I and others have said  many times, the fact is that an unacceptable number of dealers ,at whatever level. don't do what they are supposed to do . I note 'Surfers' points re this behaviour.

What concerns me  is the increasing occurrence where dealers do not provide a proper schedule of what has been performed!  I have seen two instances recently where this has happened. I have not bought a brand new car for about 10 yrs but  my wife had one about 5 yrs ago. I noticed that a typical 'traditional ' service book was not provided. Ok the 'when needed ' section was but not the actual info on the work to be done! My GC is serviced at a main dealer (actually quite good) but 2 yrs ago they stopped providing a schedule of what procedures were carried out. I just get a bill for  ''annual service'' etc despite my protests. In this particular case, have to continue with them because of the warranty. 

I believe these actions are because of increasing complaints for work not done or not done properly which can result in legal action against them.  It prevents the customer  from checking them out, one way or the other!  I believe it is important that we all object to these practices wherever possible and support 'Surfers ' feelings.

• Platinum Member

As a reference I used the "Maintenance Schedule" as per the owner's handbook.  They could not argue with that!  The annoying part is that with the service contract you are paying a fixed sum of approximately £1400 to cover service for 3 years plus the MOT.  It seems that they are now trying to hoodwink us by not doing the correct service.  As a layman I would not have any idea of what work has actually been done and how to check. 

I am seriously considering taking the Jeep to an Inde before the final 3rd year service for them to check the vehicle over.  I am using this Jeep dealership as they were often mentioned on this forum for coffee mornings etc. We have lost all faith in them and will be looking elsewhere when we decided to upgrade the Jeep.  It all seems to have changed in the past 2 years?

• Platinum Member

Sadly, as I and others have said  many times, the fact is that an unacceptable number of dealers ,at whatever level. don't do what they are supposed to do . I note 'Surfers' points re this behaviour.

What concerns me  is the increasing occurrence where dealers do not provide a proper schedule of what has been performed!  I have seen two instances recently where this has happened. I have not bought a brand new car for about 10 yrs but  my wife had one about 5 yrs ago. I noticed that a typical 'traditional ' service book was not provided. Ok the 'when needed ' section was but not the actual info on the work to be done! My GC is serviced at a main dealer (actually quite good) but 2 yrs ago they stopped providing a schedule of what procedures were carried out. I just get a bill for  ''annual service'' etc despite my protests. In this particular case, have to continue with them because of the warranty. 

I believe these actions are because of increasing complaints for work not done or not done properly which can result in legal action against them.  It prevents the customer  from checking them out, one way or the other!  I believe it is important that we all object to these practices wherever possible and support 'Surfers ' feelings.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

I know my WG is an older Jeep but the only place I take it to is an independent mechanic who is Jeep trained. I trust him to do stuff to it (he now looks after both of mine) as he wont "shaft the customer" (always a sure way to not get repeat business). He will do anything you ask but if he thinks it is not required he will tell you and let you decide if you still want it done. Always supplies an itemised receipt for the work done, uses the proper materials and if he has to change parts he keeps them to show you. He doesn't even mind if you supply your own parts.

There is a lot to be said for independent mechanics so long as they understand what is required to work on a Jeep - and not just Google it

• Platinum Member
6 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

I know my WG is an older Jeep but the only place I take it to is an independent mechanic who is Jeep trained. I trust him to do stuff to it (he now looks after both of mine) as he wont "shaft the customer" (always a sure way to not get repeat business). He will do anything you ask but if he thinks it is not required he will tell you and let you decide if you still want it done. Always supplies an itemised receipt for the work done, uses the proper materials and if he has to change parts he keeps them to show you. He doesn't even mind if you supply your own parts.

There is a lot to be said for independent mechanics so long as they understand what is required to work on a Jeep - and not just Google it

Thanks.  We are in Worcestershire and I am guessing that this inde is the other side of the country.  LOL!  The people that we use for our other car are excellent, but they are not that familiar with the eccentric of the Jeep.  No issue with basic mechanical stuff like changing brakes, servicing etc.

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Thanks.  We are in Worcestershire and I am guessing that this inde is the other side of the country.  LOL!  The people that we use for our other car are excellent, but they are not that familiar with the eccentric of the Jeep.  No issue with basic mechanical stuff like changing brakes, servicing etc.

Sadly yes I am in Hampshire so not a lot of help I know 🙄 I found my guy after a lot of searching on the Intaweb thingy - Jeep trained independents do seem to be few and far between. Might be worth doing a search in your area and see what you can find. First jobs I had my guy do were all simple so I could see how he treated the customer - wouldn't send mine any where else now👍

There is the danger that a normal garage will treat a Jeep just the same as any other car and this can lead to some very expensive mistakes

• 4 weeks later...

The manual for the WK2 is pretty insistent on getting the engine oil and filter changed at frequent intervals, and I would want to know it had been done. Just look at the dipstick in the first few days after a service; if the oil has been changed, it will be noticeably cleaner. The oil life warning can be reset with pressing the accelerator three times with the ignition on but engine not running.

I'm more anxious about whether the differential oils have been changed, and also when is the right moment to change the gearbox oil and filter. ZF, who make the same 8-speed box for lots of different cars, say it should be done at 100,000 km, Jeep at 100,000 miles, and some vehicle manufacturers who use it suggest it never needs doing at all! It's quite a complex procedure, especially checking the oil level when it's been done. Anyone had any experience? 

Edited by Gerald F

• Platinum Member

For a Jeep that drives in water or mud the book service intervals for transmission and axles are too long. You should check the fluids for contamination as soon as you can afterwards. Contaminated fluid must be replaced straight away to avoid wear or damage.

Oil floats on water, so a syringe attached to clear PVC or silicone hose can be used to check the fluids down a dip stick tube or through a diff cover filler. The syringe capacity should be at least twice the volume of the tube that you are using otherwise you will not see what is in the bottom of the pipe where you are drawing the fluid from.

Transmission fluid oil is hygroscopic and will absorb water contamination quickly. Trying to draw off a sample to check for water from a vehicle that has had the engine running recently will probably not work. However, contaminated transmission fluid changes colour quickly. If it looks like a foul smelling strawberry or chocolate milkshake rather than clean red fluid then it has probably been contaminated.

• Platinum Member

Please note that it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and not a Wrangler however the info is good.  To be on the safe side and peace of mind I had an oil change done at National tyre & Exhaust centre at a cost of about £112.  Although we do live in a rural area, it does n to see deep water or muddy roads.  It is used for towing but since the service last year in Sept it has towed a caravan less than a 1000 miles mainly on motorways.