More Trailhawk Adventures...this time, the Lake District

Trailhawk

• Platinum Member

...just come back from a couple of days in the Lake District. Amazing weather (until it lashed it down when putting the tent away of course!) and a perfect lane for the two rennies. 

Took the inflatable canoes for some added excitement, which, together with the new (bigger than expected fridge) was a bit of a squeeze when 3 up but worth the effort. 

OK, not a trans-Saharan epic, but for a 3 hour drive and a day off work, a step in the right direction 😀

Enjoy the vid!

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

More camp cooking, more trails, more drone footage 😁, what more could you want. Great video. I love Old Coach Road.

• Platinum Member

Interesting to see the Trailhawks on the Old Coach Road. I was under the impression that this route was in a much worse condition, and possibly a "no-go" for Renegades. However, looking at your footage it seems to be in pretty good shape - perhaps some work has been done recently? Apart from the rocky section featured, was there anything much worse to contend with?

Cheers - Tony.

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, Tony-U said:

Interesting to see the Trailhawks on the Old Coach Road. I was under the impression that this route was in a much worse condition, and possibly a "no-go" for Renegades. However, looking at your footage it seems to be in pretty good shape - perhaps some work has been done recently? Apart from the rocky section featured, was there anything much worse to contend with?

Cheers - Tony.

Coach road used to be pretty gnarly with some really big washouts, not something I would have fancied tackling in a Renegade ( although never say never ). Last time I drove it in that condition was May 2018 and it was tough on the big downhill stretch towards the quarry end, that was with the repairs started on the Eastern Dockray end. Since then the whole route has been repaired and is now quite civilised. That little rocky climb section is at the start of the western end and that is about as tricky as it gets now. The rest is pretty easy gravel track ....but still a brilliant route though, I love driving it.   

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Fantastic video, looks like you had an amazing time 👍👍 More please 😆

• Platinum Member

Thanks all! Yes the only challenge was that small rocky section. Never looks quite as gnarly on video but perfectly gnarly for us small wheelers! The rest is just a fab gravelfest for rumbing along on and made perfect with the weather too.

Camping availability is a bit tight this summer so maybe back to the local Midlands lanes for the next one. Watch this space.

Oh and if you have any 'Jeep Cuisine' requests let me know (unless it's that Sushi thing that if you get wrong is deadly poisonous....or vegan, obvs)

TH

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the info, guys. It does seem that a substantial amount of maintenance work was carried-out on the Old Coach Road in summer 2018. I would certainly like to give it a try, along with the Hardknott Pass and Wrynose Pass (which are not "off road", of course, but look equally spectacular)...

Tony.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
8 hours ago, Tony-U said:

Thanks for the info, guys. It does seem that a substantial amount of maintenance work was carried-out on the Old Coach Road in summer 2018. I would certainly like to give it a try, along with the Hardknott Pass and Wrynose Pass (which are not "off road", of course, but look equally spectacular)...

Tony.

Tony. Yeah, Coach Rd is definitely Renegade friendly since the repairs, worth a drive for sure. If you are in that neck of the woods there are a couple of other short lanes in Matterdale area and one leading to the Western end of coach road over St John’s in the Vale which is a fun one, would be good in A Renegade as there are a.couple of switchbacks which the JK doesn’t do well with.

Hardnott and Wrynose passes are well worth the drive out. We did them on a trip back in 2017, try to do it off peak though when there isn’t much traffic about otherwise it’s a nightmare. The Roman fort at the top of Hardnott is well worth a stop off. Actually while you are in the Lakes there are plenty of lanes you could do in a Renegade now. Even Parkamoor and Tilberthwaite have had work done and are probably doable in a trailhawk. The only one I’d still think might be a bit much would be Breasthigh Road. Grizedale might be a bit tricky in places too. 

• Platinum Member

Love the video, thanks for sharing, I would like to do some off-roading the lakes 😊

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

Love the video, thanks for sharing, I would like to do some off-roading the lakes 😊

Highly recommended 👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 07/07/2021 at 13:09, PDB said:

What drawer system is that TH? 

Sorry, missed this post earlier. Both are custom made by myself and brother (he has the Anvil coloured Trailhawk).

You can see my attempt in a bit more detail here..

...and my Brother's more pro build in this thread on expedition portal here...

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/just-downsized-to-a-renegade-build-and-trips.207115/page-6

To be honest, it's a bit of an obsession now in terms of trying all sorts of different arrangements...this is probably by 4th set up in as many years. Still, keeps me off the streets.

TH

• Like 2