Plasticky leather preservation

Fourpot

• Platinum Member

Hi All, In my 1998 Cherokee I have leather seats. I had the front squabs replaced a couple of years ago and these are fine. The rest is original and mostly fine too except for some areas which are showing some thin cracks.

The leather seems to be that type that you can't oil/dress/wax etc. as it doesn't absorb anything.   

Does any one have any idea how to reduce/prevent/restore the cracking please?

• Platinum Member

Many years ago I worked on old car restoration. I'm sorry I cannot remember the name of what was used . However there were two steps. The first was a thin glue like fluid that soaked in and strengthened the underlying material. The second step was a waxy/creamy product that filled the cracks which one was able to mix colour into. There are probably modern equivalents today. They do exist because a couple of years ago I remember a TV programme (Wheeler dealers probably) in which they did this. I just did a quick 'Google'  and searched 'Wheeler Dealers Leather Restoration' and loads comes up. I hope this helps.

• Like 1