Visited my Dad's mates yard and found this lovely XJ and TJ.

JimC

• Platinum Member

Out about in Cambridgeshire and found these babes -

This XJ I am going to buy, subject to negotions 

image.png

image.png

But this 4.0L TJ could be up for sale but it would require offers over £10k as it is a very serous piece of kit and he is reluctant to sell -

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Mileage is around 48k and the front diff is currently being skimmed so this is why it is missing its front wheels. Did not notice the size of the tyres but they must at least be 35"

Also came across an M reg 4.0L XJ Sport which is going to be scrapped as it has been used for spares so if anyone needs anything from it, let me know within the next week.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
3 minutes ago, TimC said:

👍 great find Jim, just what you wanted eh?

The XJ is just what I wanted and now trying to decide do I keep her stock or modify her. I am leaning towards keeping her stock.

• Platinum Member

Jim, The 4.0L Sport was a rare XJ, the manual 4.0L Sports model even rarer. I don't think the Sport had ABS, if so it may have a Chrysler 8.25. The 2.5L Sports had 4.11 gears, I can't remember what the 4.0L Sports had. It would be worth taking a look at the rear axle. An 8.25 is almost as good as a D44. A worthy swap if you are ditching ABS for a better axle.

Jeep did build some production line surprises over the years. The D44 rear was an option in the XJ up to 1990 or so but I have heard that government contract XJs sometimes had D44 rears fitted long after 1990 and they sometimes found their way into non-ABS models due to just-in-time shortages.

I didn't think an EU spec RHD 1997+ manual Sport XJ existed until I sat in one. It's always worth checking the rear axle on a Sport.

• Platinum Member
23 minutes ago, V said:

Jim, The 4.0L Sport was a rare XJ, the manual 4.0L Sports model even rarer.

Hi Vince, I'll have a walk down there tomorrow and take a few pics. Thanks for the info.

• Platinum Member

Rear axel has already gone and it is a manual 4.0L

I will post some photos up later today.

• Platinum Member

That AX5 or AX15 manual gearbox, bell housing, flywheel and pedal box would be great for anyone wishing to do a manual conversion on an XJ perhaps even other Jeeps. The AX5 isn't as strong as the later manual transmissions but still a good catch with the rest of the parts.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, V said:

Is the 94 good enough to rescue?

Sorry to say that it is not as it has been lifted with a crane and chains through the front windows.

Not been able to get pictures today but will venture down there tomorrow.

• Platinum Member

That's a shame. An original RHD 4.0L manual may become the most valuable XJ model in time.