Need help, spare wheel for my TJ

Bailey.J.W

Hi everyone one 

I was wondering if anyone had one wheel they are willing to sell to me so I can have a set of 5 matching wheels, the wheel I’m looking is for a Wrangler Tj show on the attached photo.

thanks for taking the time to look at this post ! 4840374C-4706-4BEF-8E28-A0F61B0448CA.thumb.png.dab7d503aea82cd2205efc6b839d1f77.png

• Platinum Member

I think that these were also on the XJ Cherokees but I could be wrong.
Guess you have tried the usual online auctions?

Until you find one, how about having a tyre cover for your fifth wheel?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JimC said:

Hi Jim 

yes I have searched the web but most people are selling a set of 5 and aren’t willing to sell one wheel. Luckily I still have my genuine Sahara wheel cover 81BED6C7-C372-44A8-B3C3-C418506C77E8.thumb.jpeg.8f635ac23471ebd0e68402f0c0d4df5f.jpeg  

• Platinum Member

I bought a new limited SE XJ in '93. I had a Yj for the day while the XJ was being serviced and knew the dealership owner personally. Why have I said this? The fact is that despite the people who have insisted that the wheels on that XJ and my current YJ are not original, I know they are incorrect. Not standard maybe but the cars were offered with a  wider variety of options than they are today.  I suspect that the same applied to TJs.

I know little about TJs but I believe I have seen your wheels on TJs and other Jeeps too. I don't  know  whether they were standard or an option. I suggest you consider looking at any Jeep of a similar age to yours which has the same diameter wheels and you may get lucky. I know of only one place that often has used Jeep alloys amongst their stock. I am popping  over there later next week for something I want. If you like, I will take a picture of yours and have a look. If so can you confirm your exact size in the meantime and let me have a number in case luck is on your side.

Your only other option is to get a complete set of different wheels which I have done fairly cheaply in the past because a  lot of folk prefer steels rather than alloys for off road. This is because although alloys are stronger and lighter, when they do fail they break rather than bend. Its personal choice. My view is steels are too heavy for an oap like  me to lift and I've a spare anyway.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, JimC said:

I think the wheel on this TJ is a 15" and it is probably engraved with reference markings on the wheel mounting surface or on the back of the spokes.

I found one in the USA. Factory part number is 5DR19TA8. The wheel style to be confirmed on the back is probably a '9016'.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Oops, accidentally deleted what I wanted to say...

Jim, back in the 'old club' days, these TJ wheels where a desirable swap for XJ's. I seem to remember a certain British XJ that completed the Sweden offroad challenge having them. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Those are the standard fitment alloys for the TJ Sahara.  They were known as the 'Grizzly' wheel, and that may help when searching.  On the TJ, there were a light gunmetal colour with a polished rim.  I believe they turned up later on other models but usually in single colour.

If you're struggling to find a single wheel, others may have the same problem.  One suggestion might be to buy a set of five, take what you need and sell the rest on individually.  You might even make a profit.  Just a thought...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, digger said:

I bought a new limited SE XJ in '93. I had a Yj for the day while the XJ was being serviced and knew the dealership owner personally. Why have I said this? The fact is that despite the people who have insisted that the wheels on that XJ and my current YJ are not original, I know they are incorrect. Not standard maybe but the cars were offered with a  wider variety of options than they are today.  I suspect that the same applied to TJs.

I know little about TJs but I believe I have seen your wheels on TJs and other Jeeps too. I don't  know  whether they were standard or an option. I suggest you consider looking at any Jeep of a similar age to yours which has the same diameter wheels and you may get lucky. I know of only one place that often has used Jeep alloys amongst their stock. I am popping  over there later next week for something I want. If you like, I will take a picture of yours and have a look. If so can you confirm your exact size in the meantime and let me have a number in case luck is on your side.

Your only other option is to get a complete set of different wheels which I have done fairly cheaply in the past because a  lot of folk prefer steels rather than alloys for off road. This is because although alloys are stronger and lighter, when they do fail they break rather than bend. Its personal choice. My view is steels are too heavy for an oap like  me to lift and I've a spare anyway.

Hi digger 

that would be amazing if you could have a look for us, it would be much appreciate! As said in other comments these wheels are a standard/added option in the TJ Sahara stud patter 5x114.3 15”

4 hours ago, AlexK said:

Those are the standard fitment alloys for the TJ Sahara.  They were known as the 'Grizzly' wheel, and that may help when searching.  On the TJ, there were a light gunmetal colour with a polished rim.  I believe they turned up later on other models but usually in single colour.

If you're struggling to find a single wheel, others may have the same problem.  One suggestion might be to buy a set of five, take what you need and sell the rest on individually.  You might even make a profit.  Just a thought...

I might just have to do that … buying a set of 5 that is ! Turns out they are quite hard to find tho especially ones in fairly good condition 

• Platinum Member

If you buy a set of five, keep two. It is far more economical to do a six tyre rotation on a Jeep if you are keeping it long term. I often screwed up five tyre rotations an end up replacing more tyres than I wanted to. I have one Jeep on six tyre rotation and another on five. I will be changing it to six tyre rotation when I get new wheels for it.

• Like 1

Just a little update 

found a set of 5 wheel on eBay for a half decent price hopefully picking them up on next Sunday 

thank you for everyone’s comments, help and advice .

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Bailey.J.W said:

Just a little update 

found a set of 5 wheel on eBay for a half decent price hopefully picking them up on next Sunday 

thank you for everyone’s comments, help and advice .

Dont forget that you can sell the other four wheels in our 'Jeep Parts For Sale' section but if I was you then I would keep them so you can put some mud tyres on for off road use should this be something you might consider.

Well done for finding them and reporting back.

• Like 2

On 27/06/2021 at 19:54, JimC said:

Dont forget that you can sell the other four wheels in our 'Jeep Parts For Sale' section but if I was you then I would keep them so you can put some mud tyres on for off road use should this be something you might consider.

Well done for finding them and reporting back.

That’s not a bad idea you know I might just keep them and put a set of road tyres on them and keep my BFG KM3’s for off road usage, unfortunately I think all 9 wheel need refurbing  

Edited by Bailey.J.W