Newbie help - tyres and lift

Caroline12

• Platinum Member

Hi,

I have just traded in my 2WD renegade for a renegade trail hawk, which is great. But I don’t know what to do about tyres etc. It has road tyres on at present, worn ones, so need to replace them with off road tyres. 
it has 215/60 R17 at the moment, I want to jack my Jeep up and put larger tyres on, I would like 225/65 R17, but will this fit on a standard setup ? only really have money to do 1 thing before summer camp, probably, I would like to do both. 

any advice on

A) best/good off road tyres for a Renegade.

B) best tyre size to go for standard setup

C) best tyre size to go with a 1.5” lift

D) can I fit 225 tyres on a 215 original set up ? 
E) any lift brand better than another or all pretty standard in performance?

how much does modifications affect insurance?

sorry for so many questions 😊

Edited by Caroline12
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi caroline

give Alex at buzz a call,very easy to talk to and will give you all the info you need.

tony

• Platinum Member

Hi Tony, 

thank you, Alex at buzz. Sorry but who and where is Buzz, please can you give me some more information on Buzz.

caroline

• Platinum Member

Buzz (Alex and the team) are one of the club sponsors and they know a lot about Jeeps. Here is the link -

https://www.buzzspecialvehicles.co.uk

They are based in Hoddesdon Hertfordshire, and Alex is running out Thetford Lanes event this weekend so if you want to meet him and have a great day out, why not sign up for the event?

• Platinum Member
23 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

Hi,

I have just traded in my 2WD renegade for a renegade trail hawk, which is great. But I don’t know what to do about tyres etc. It has road tyres on at present, worn ones, so need to replace them with off road tyres. 
it has 215/60 R17 at the moment, I want to jack my Jeep up and put larger tyres on, I would like 225/65 R17, but will this fit on a standard setup ? only really have money to do 1 thing before summer camp, probably, I would like to do both. 

any advice on

A) best/good off road tyres for a Renegade.

B) best tyre size to go for standard setup

C) best tyre size to go with a 1.5” lift

D) can I fit 225 tyres on a 215 original set up ? 
E) any lift brand better than another or all pretty standard in performance?

how much does modifications affect insurance?

sorry for so many questions 😊

Hi @Caroline12

Congratulations on the upgrade. 

I've recently done some mods to my Trailhawk with Alex, he definitely is the one to consult with.

To answer some of your questions:

A) I've gone with BF GOODRICH KO2 All Terrain tyres as my choice. They are noisy but good for off roading. 

B) Maximum tire size with standard setup would be 225/65r17. Which is what I am running. Anything bigger would start to rub. 

C) I have lifting springs added and this tyre setup is fine

D) Yes

E) Lift kits, choice of TerraFirma, Daystar.

Lifting Springs, available from Eibach. I've gone with Trekfinder Lifting Springs. Just a personal choice

You may want to consider wheel spacers as well if you are doing a lift.

I'm running Eibach wheel spacers in 25mm. They will push your tyres out to give more stability. The popular choice is the TerraFirma brand but note that those come with wheel nuts and such you would not have a lock bolt to secure your tyres.

Here is a picture of the stock to lifted Trailhawk and also a comparison of the wheel spacers

PhotoGrid_1620477599569.jpg

PhotoGrid_1618959869572.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi Raakhee,

thank you, that really helps.

I didn’t know you could change the springs and lift in that way. That is something to consider, is it cheaper than a lift kit ? Interesting, something to investigate. 

love the pictures, that really gives a view of each stage of setup and height. 

the spacers are also interesting, definitely do not want bolts and nuts, what strange thing to do ? Eibach is definitely the one to go with there. 

225 - perfect, thanks. Also thinking about 16” rims, as I don’t like the 2016 model alloys. 225/70 R16 alloys Bully XD appeal ?

GF Goodrich, I have read they are noisy, I do like them, but pricey. Also thinking about Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2, tested on flint, all around me is chalk and flint terrain, 

thanks again, really appreciate it 😊

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Your Trailhawk looks lovely in that colour. Is this the first 'before' photo before you have your lift and new tyres?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Thank you, I always wanted the yellow one, it seems fun, bright and cheerful.  

yes as stock, no modifications at present. More photos as things development. 
yellow and black go well together

• Platinum Member

Hi, if it’s any help, my wife’s Renegade is running General Grabber AT3’s, not as aggressive as the BFG’s for off road, but we found it a good compromise as not much difference with Road noise.

• Platinum Member
22 minutes ago, Mike WK2 said:

Hi, if it’s any help, my wife’s Renegade is running General Grabber AT3’s, not as aggressive as the BFG’s for off road, but we found it a good compromise as not much difference with Road noise.

Thank you Mike, much appreciated. I’ll have a look at them.

the BFG (always think Big Friendly Giant) they are expensive and reports of noise, so not keen.
if I go for 16” I fancy Cooper disco AT3 sport 2 because it’s been tested on flint roads, Salisbury area is all chalk and flint. 

If I go for 17”, I can’t get the coopers in 225mm. So lots to consider and think about ? General Grabbers AT3, will look at thank you 😊 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Got my new tyres today 😊 Falken Wildpeak AT3 225/65 R17

1.5” lift booked for 30/07/21 at Jeepey

F37867E1-CBBD-4352-B83A-2EF5AAE2DCEA.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I know it’s a bit late now but I always thought it would be cool to have Radar Renegade A/T5s on a Renegade……..cos then you’ll have “Renegade” in OWL on the tyre sidewall 😁😎. They are a good tyre, I run them as my winter tyres on the JKUR but I don’t know if they do the sizes. If I ever change my  General Grabber MTs on my CJ7 Renegade I thought I might put Radar Renegade R7s on for the same reason.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

What tyre pressure do you run renegade’s on, for road use and off road use ? 
tyre fitter put 35 psi on front and 32 on rear tyres, is this good ?

what would you recommend? 

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

What tyre pressure do you run renegade’s on, for road use and off road use ? 
tyre fitter put 35 psi on front and 32 on rear tyres, is this good ?

what would you recommend? 

We run 35psi all around. No issues. Good for road and off road. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

What tyre pressure is best to run off road if you want to air down is a very good question. I bet V or PDB know the answer 😉. If I am airing down for general green laning I tend to go for 25 psi. This sort of pressure gives me some more traction and softens the ride some. It is not so low you are likely to throw a bead and is high enough that you can drive it on the road between lanes without having to keep putting air back in after each unpaved section. It is also some advice given to me when I bought my first CJ way back in the day and it seems to have stuck with me. 

If I’m doing a day on an off road course without road driving ( which I don’t do very often ) I’d air down a bit more something like 20 psi or 1.5 bar. 

What surface you are driving on also makes a difference, I believe dune / sand driving you would air down even more, same for rock crawling, something like 12-15 psi or even lower with beadlocks.

one thing I’m not sure about is how much difference airing down makes on a smaller lower profile tyre, I guess there’s less volume of air and possibly less compression and elongation of the tyre. If I were you I’d give 25psi a try and see how it feels………don’t forget to buy a compressor or know a nearby garage with a working air line, bit of a rarity these days it seems.🙄

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Thanks Raahee and TimC, really appreciate it. I’ve put all tyres at 35 psi for road driving. That seems fine and running well.

Off-road, I am hoping to learn a bit/lot on the camp in August, as a complete novice.

25 psi sounds reasonable especially for mud and general green lanes stuff. 

I have a small little Jeep vehicle supplied compressor, which is fine for emergencies, but I wouldn’t want to trust it for a lot of tyre filling on/off road. 
Really looking forward to August camp 🏕 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
12 minutes ago, Caroline12 said:

Thanks Raahee and TimC, really appreciate it. I’ve put all tyres at 35 psi for road driving. That seems fine and running well.

Off-road, I am hoping to learn a bit/lot on the camp in August, as a complete novice.

25 psi sounds reasonable especially for mud and general green lanes stuff. 

I have a small little Jeep vehicle supplied compressor, which is fine for emergencies, but I wouldn’t want to trust it for a lot of tyre filling on/off road. 
Really looking forward to August camp 🏕 

I actually use that Jeep compressor to adjust my psi. It's pretty handy and does the job. To be honest Slindon in August was pretty dry last year so you may not need to air down too much. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, Raakhee said:

I actually use that Jeep compressor to adjust my psi. It's pretty handy and does the job. To be honest Slindon in August was pretty dry last year so you may not need to air down too much. 

Sunday wasn't .................... it was as soggy as hell 🤣🤣🤣

Think i may have a seen a duck swimming around 🦆🤣

Edited by spookie the aardvark

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Sunday wasn't .................... it was as soggy as hell 🤣🤣🤣

Think i may have a seen a duck swimming around 🦆🤣

I let at midday on the Sunday. Was all tired out. Don't know about any ducks but Ducky spent all of yesterday watching Virgin River with me on Netflix 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
10 hours ago, Raakhee said:

I let at midday on the Sunday. Was all tired out. Don't know about any ducks but Ducky spent all of yesterday watching Virgin River with me on Netflix 

Talk about Ducky living the high life now 🤣🤣🤣🦆👍