Jump to content

I'm one of those...I bought a Hybrid Jeep


Adibrown74

Recommended Posts

  • Platinum Member
Adibrown74

Yes I went and bought a Jeep Renegade 4xE 

 

As somebody bought up in rural Devon who spent many years amongst Jeeps and Land Rovers, always with some renovation or repair work going on, I know how passionate people get about the raw mechanics of Jeeps and so an electric engine seems unnatural in a Jeep but let me explain.


I have spent some time looking at a Wrangler but I really need this car to be an all rounder.  At the moment I only have 2 car park spaces and I have a little convertible which I have had for 12 years now and won't ever sell so that leaves 1 space for something practical (otherwise I would have just gone full on Wrangler and had it as a fun off roader).

I took a drive in a Wrangler and although fun I am not sure I could do many 3+ hour journeys in it without an onboard chiropractor.    Im also not sure about 25mpg.  My Mum lives 320 miles away so monthly visits there could break me. 

 

Anyway the Jeep Renegade 4xE Trailhawk gives me off road capability but also 120mpg and also 0-60 in 7 seconds which isn't too shabby.   I would ideally have the dirtiest, loudest, petrol guzzling jeep around but im saving that for later purchase when I have more space on the drive.

 

Wanted to say hello and see if there are any other Renegaders lurking around.  I would love to do some off roading and I love Jeeps so I am sure I will find plenty to do on this site.   Currently living down in Mid Sussex.   

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
8 hours ago, Adibrown74 said:

Yes I went and bought a Jeep Renegade 4xE 

 

As somebody bought up in rural Devon who spent many years amongst Jeeps and Land Rovers, always with some renovation or repair work going on, I know how passionate people get about the raw mechanics of Jeeps and so an electric engine seems unnatural in a Jeep but let me explain.


I have spent some time looking at a Wrangler but I really need this car to be an all rounder.  At the moment I only have 2 car park spaces and I have a little convertible which I have had for 12 years now and won't ever sell so that leaves 1 space for something practical (otherwise I would have just gone full on Wrangler and had it as a fun off roader).

I took a drive in a Wrangler and although fun I am not sure I could do many 3+ hour journeys in it without an onboard chiropractor.    Im also not sure about 25mpg.  My Mum lives 320 miles away so monthly visits there could break me. 

 

Anyway the Jeep Renegade 4xE Trailhawk gives me off road capability but also 120mpg and also 0-60 in 7 seconds which isn't too shabby.   I would ideally have the dirtiest, loudest, petrol guzzling jeep around but im saving that for later purchase when I have more space on the drive.

 

Wanted to say hello and see if there are any other Renegaders lurking around.  I would love to do some off roading and I love Jeeps so I am sure I will find plenty to do on this site.   Currently living down in Mid Sussex.   

Congratulations on your new Renegade. You will have to keep us updated on how this performs. 

 

120mpg! Is that real life mpg? 

My diesel Renegade Trailhawk was getting me around 42mpg pre-covid and pre mods. (The lift and bigger tyres happened during Covid) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

Hi - Interesting story. I too would love a Wrangler, but wonder about the daily practicality (not to mention the price of a JL). Never even seen a 4xE Renegade, as far as I'm aware!

 

On MPG, both my Renegades have been 2.0 diesel 4x4 manuals - the first (Longitude) averaged 42.1 continuous and the current one (75th) gets 42.4 - could be down to the K&N air filter fitted... which certainly improves acceleration.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Hi and a warm welcome to the club 👋👍 Not sure about all this new fangled electricery thingy (die hard petrol head with a V8 Wg ............ and an empty wallet) but the most importent thing is IT'S A JEEP👍🚙

Like Raakhee I would be interested to find out how it gets on in the real world 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

 

I definitely prefer the growl of a big diesel at work, but that sort of mpg is incredible!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
10 hours ago, Nguruve said:

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

 

I definitely prefer the growl of a big diesel at work, but that sort of mpg is incredible!

Nothing sounds better than that growl of a diesel. My neighbour has a Nissan Leaf *sigh*. I make sure I rev my engine a few times to let him know what he is missing out on 😅

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

slammedeluxe

Welcome! 
 

4xe looks an interesting option, I’ve had two 2.0’Diesel 4x4 Renegade Limited’s and they are a lot of fun on the owners groups off road days and green laning etc. 

There’s a decent following of enthusiastic Renegade Owners and I feel many people  buy them that just couldn’t run a Wrangler for what they need a vehicle for even if it is the ‘end goal’ one day. 
 

Enjoy your Renegade, a couple of very active fb groups for owners to get involved in too if you wish. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
Adibrown74

Thanks for replies everyone.
 

I couldn't agree more about engine noise, nothing better, my ideal purchase would be the new V8 Wrangler but Im informed that it is unlikely to come to the UK, not anytime soon anyway.   

 

So far the Renegade 4xE is 8 out of 10, if im being honest I was just expecting a little more zip.  Don't get me wrong I know its a big car so zip ain't its strong point but it really creeps out of junctions (using the electric motor) when you hit the throttle.   If you are in Sport Mode and using a combo of both electric and petrol and you are already moving then it does have some gusto but just getting it going is hard work.    Apart from that im enjoying it so far, I need to get it off-road ASAP but just haven't found time yet.  

 

In terms of MPG the advertised rate is 128 or something like that but so far it's hitting about 55, im assuming 128 is when it is driven in a certain way that takes advantage of the hybrid nature of the car.   I have done a few trips electric only though so obviously in those circumstances it isn't using any petrol but the range is approx 20 miles so only very short trips.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

slammedeluxe
4 hours ago, Adibrown74 said:

Thanks for replies everyone.
 

I couldn't agree more about engine noise, nothing better, my ideal purchase would be the new V8 Wrangler but Im informed that it is unlikely to come to the UK, not anytime soon anyway.   

 

So far the Renegade 4xE is 8 out of 10, if im being honest I was just expecting a little more zip.  Don't get me wrong I know its a big car so zip ain't its strong point but it really creeps out of junctions (using the electric motor) when you hit the throttle.   If you are in Sport Mode and using a combo of both electric and petrol and you are already moving then it does have some gusto but just getting it going is hard work.    Apart from that im enjoying it so far, I need to get it off-road ASAP but just haven't found time yet.  

 

In terms of MPG the advertised rate is 128 or something like that but so far it's hitting about 55, im assuming 128 is when it is driven in a certain way that takes advantage of the hybrid nature of the car.   I have done a few trips electric only though so obviously in those circumstances it isn't using any petrol but the range is approx 20 miles so only very short trips.  

 
as a comparison, both my 2.0 Diesel 4x4 Manuals average around 44-46mpg and that’s with All Terrain Tyres, a Roof Basket and an Awning ontop. 

 

a 2wd 1.6 Diesel manual Renegade will easily 50+ mpg pretty much everywhere. 

Edited by slammedeluxe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

I have never driven a 4xe but creeping out of junctions doesn't sound right. I would talk to your dealer about it. Ask for a test drive in another one for comparison, yours may have a fault somewhere. If your dealer doesn't have one to test, find another that does.

 

I guess the maximum average liquid fuel economy is only going to be achieved if you can get one or two full battery charge/discharge cycles per day. You would need to run all electric to fully discharge a battery on an outbound trip, recharge while parked, then fully discharge the battery on the return trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you driven a conventional Renegade, by way of comparison? I quite fancied the 4xe after reading the brochure, but I doubt if it has the oomph to tow even a small caravan through the mountains. I may have to change my style when my GC gives up the ghost. Electricity will be essential by then!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

My 2WD 1.6L Limited renegade was getting avg 52-54mpg, motorway 60mpg. 
I thought about the 4Xe, but was not happy about the whole battery thing, production/life and recycling. Ground clearance was reduced. I read Clarksons review of the 4Xe, it wasn’t good. But I wanted a diesel mechanical 4x4 first.

but if it works for you, that’s great. At present it wasn’t for me. 
anyway they don’t the Trailhawk in bright Yellow anymore 😊

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Believe what you will but my personal ,inside knowledge,is car road tests are not what they may seem!  In some cases they have never even driven the car!  I never read them, the only way you get a genuine assessment for your needs is to book a test drive for at least one hundred miles  without a goon in the back seat. If a dealer refuses this I walk to one who will. Dealers are trying to get rid of demonstrator costs which is why some groups try offering you a road test instead.

 I had yet another simple example last week to reinforce my knowledge gathered over 50 years. I drove a new BMW (75ks worth, high comfort ratings) for about 100 miles recently in connection with an event. It was a lovely car but for me the seat was awful. Typical hard german base etc gave me backache etc. For comfort, buy a Jeep!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
On 27/05/2021 at 06:58, Adibrown74 said:

I would love to do some off roading

Welcome to the club and if you can make it, our summer camp is on 14th - 15th August at Slindon near Arundel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

I bought a 4xe too just over a week ago, was sceptical about a plug in hybrid but I must admit, I think it's pretty epic and very clever. No issues pulling away though, just goes. When you floor it you can really feel the torque of the electric rear axle, a thumbs up from me so far.... Oh, and yeah still got my TJ and my JK, but for driving about all over the place the little renegade is impressive 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

question for 46stm and any other renegade 4xe trailhawk onwers. What range are you getting on a charge. Also what mpg are you getting for 0ne charge and long range driving eg 80 miles, 100, 150 ,200 etc. The press and you tube testers give this car poor reviews yet i feel this maybe because they compare it to normal road phev cars. i am looking to purchase one but a bit uneasy of mpg when the charge runs out. The press criticise the engine as been very noisy and revvy , any comments?

My thoughts are as it will take a full sized spare tyre it is crying out for an lpg conversion. Then it could be somthing really special.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

This is tricky one to answer, on a run from York to Essex driving on just petrol at a steady 70mph I got 39mpg. I don't drive it easy I just drive it as any other car, since zeroing the trip last I've done over 800 miles and it more or less works out that 50% are electric and 50% petrol. Mixed driving, I just use it. I was very against a PHEV but if you drive one you'll be impressed, quick, quiet, smooth. Yeah they rev when booted but they don't half shift and it is a 1.3, when you feel the petrol engine and the electric axle together you can't help but grin. You'll be amazed how much the electric gets used, it charges on the go a little and there are many settings to change should you wish it to either go fast, save battery, charge more etc. I find the 26 miles on electric stated is pretty spot on and it's forever charging if driving round town or lanes. Forget LPG, pointless unless you want three fill up points 😂 buy a spare instead like I did. Think overall mpg is somewhere in the high 60-70s. Purely depends on how you drive and where you drive, if you are only doing around 30 miles a day a full tank lasts forever 😉 so as I mentioned, it's not just about mpg more about how you use it, hope that helps. Go and drive one, they are really good and very clever👍 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

Thanks 46stm for the swift response and it all seems positive. Most of my journeys are 40 -50 miles so the lpg idea was only if the petrol only mpg was a low 30's. 39 mpg for long distance i can live and i am an economical driver. As you say mpg is not every thing. i have been a diesel head but looks like the species will become extinct as many, Jeep included has stooped making them.  Whats it like on electric only , would it tackle hills without the ICE kicking in ? You have really helped as my gut instinct tells me it is my next car. i have read and watched as many test reports as i could find and nearly all are somewhat negative ( a bit like those of the Suzuki Jimny yet owners love them). Thanks again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

You haven't been watching the same YouTube as me, there's also a lot of praise. It will automatically go to electric if battery allows. I just charge mine overnight on a schedule, like a timer, so it starts charging after midnight on a cheaper tariff. You can override this with a button on the car or on the app. I'm looking forward to winter when I can set it to be nice and warm as I leave in the morning. Just set a schedule and it will go to a temperature you want at a time you want to drive away 😁 or vice versa in summer. It also flicks in and out of petrol seemlessly, if you are light footed you'll barely notice. And even on 1% it'll still drive in electric when you are going slow in traffic....electric on hills, it'll do what it decides is best or you can just press the electric button and see... Its all fairly new to me too, ask me a few months back I'd of slated it like mad. All my mates laughed and took the pee... Then drove it, all petrol heads and all were genuinely surprised and said "fair play" 🤭 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

I wonder how long these vehicles will last before the expensive electrical gremlins start to appear ?

Fine & dandy if your PCP 'ing the vehicle for 3 + years under warranty then letting it go, but if your one of the now rare breeds that actually buys the vehicle out right and runs it for as many years as possible (the most environmental way)  you wouldn't be purchasing one of these used I guess, as it could prove to be an expensive & unreliable mistake as they age.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
4 hours ago, BLUE STAR said:

I wonder how long these vehicles will last before the expensive electrical gremlins start to appear ?

Fine & dandy if your PCP 'ing the vehicle for 3 + years under warranty then letting it go, but if your one of the now rare breeds that actually buys the vehicle out right and runs it for as many years as possible (the most environmental way)  you wouldn't be purchasing one of these used I guess, as it could prove to be an expensive & unreliable mistake as they age.

 

I quite agree ref electrical gremlins, only one way to find out....hopefully I'll have nothing to report but I'll let you know. At the end of the day Jeep, so I've heard, are aiming to have a 4xe on all models within a few years, the Wrangler is already available as a 4xe in the US. With their fuel prices though that's a tall order. I've just got rid of a Golf R as it slammed the brakes on at 30mph for no reason, the more gadgets you have the more can go wrong. Had two LR discovery's too and both fell off a cliff at 70k miles with every electrical glitch under the sun. I never PCP, just my choice, when I've had enough I get rid of them, in the meantime I'm enjoying the journey of this new little Jeep...😁 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member

When running on electric only do you feel 60 bhp is enough or is it compromised by the overall weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
On 05/08/2021 at 18:43, RU said:

When running on electric only do you feel 60 bhp is enough or is it compromised by the overall weight.

More than enough for zipping about town etc. when just in electric. If you floor it and need extra power the petrol engine still kicks in and it switches to hybrid rather than just left with lower power. Otherwise its more than enough for just normal traffic driving and no you don't notice the weight at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

guidelines