Registering a Jeep from Canada to the UK

Jxmes

• Platinum Member

Hi, 

I have imported a 1972 Jeep J4000 from Canada and looking in to getting it registered in the UK. As it’s from Canada it does have a title document. 
Just a couple of questions; 
Will I need a ‘date of manufacture’ confirmation letter from a club or will the MOT certificate be enough for the DVLA? Including the V55 of course. 
I spoke with an MOT man & he said that he can fill in all the info for the vehicle on their computer - chassis number, engine number, engine size, date of manufacture etc etc and then the DVLA would have access to this. 
If I need a letter confirming the date of manufacture would anyone know someone who can do them? 
Any help with the process would be much appreciated! 
Cheers, 

James 

• Platinum Member

V may have missed that it's a 1972 model, so IVA not needed.  Just an MOT which will be done on the VIN initially, and then as you say, James, send off your V55.

I've not seen a Canadian title document in the flesh but I assume it states somewhere date of manufacturer or similar. That should be enough for the DVLA. You may choose to include supporting info, such as a VIN breakdown, although that only confirms the year.  JOC doesn't seem to do confirmation letters.

I would make a few good copies of your Canada title first.  Although DVLA claims they will return original documents, most people's experience is that they never see them again.  Always a shame to lose such an important part of a vehicle's history.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Yes, I did read 1972, but I totally forgot about the IVA exemption for vintage vehicles. Thanks for correcting my error.

• Platinum Member

Thank you both, much appreciated! 
Will let you know how it goes. 

Cheers, 

James