found an oil leak....

fen01

• Platinum Member

well to be honest it was found for me.

further investigation it seems the sump plug is weeping slightly.

So, here's the question.  It wasn't there before last service (nov 2020).  It's done less than 600 miles since last service.  Last service was an oil change.  Is this an issue caused at service?  Is the seal on the drain plug replaced as part of the service?

dropping the oil is not an issue, just seems a lot of hassle for something that could be the fault of the garage during service.

cheers

• Platinum Member

By strange coincidence I may have the same issue. 🤨However, since all my front axle seals are leaking oil ........AGAIN....... I had not given it too much consideration.

• Platinum Member

Jeep main dealers have always charged me for a new drain plug seal when doing a service.

• Platinum Member

Yes, they are supposed to be replaced at every all change but I normally replace them after three changes.

• Platinum Member

Local Jag dealer charged me for a new sump plug (only went to them cos it was still under warranty- could have took it somewhere else though?) But I had marked the old one and it was still there! So after loudly embarrassing the Manager in front of staff and other customers I got £100 off the cost of service!  

I have never changed a sump plug or seal in 40 years of servicing a variety of my own vehicles, and never had a leak. Just make sure they're clean, don't do them up too tight and put a couple of turns of PTFE tape on the threads. Maybe just lucky. 

They've either not changed the seal, or done it up too tight, partly stripping the threads? Ask them to let you see the old one, although they could just show you any old seal? Change your garage or do it yourself, then you know it's done proper!

• Platinum Member

I guess it depends on the style of oil drain plug. Oil drain plugs for the 4.0L i6 are currently 76p on rockauto.com, cheap enough to keep a small stock of and replace when the seal starts hardening.

• Platinum Member

I agree with Jerry. Its usually mechanics under pressure who cause this kind of prob. 

This might help someone:-

When I bought my KJ some years ago, it was low miles, one owner and had full service main dealer  history. The first time I changed the oil, the sump plug reluctantly unscrewed and then it all came out!  Not just the oil, but all the 'filler' etc that the last buffoon glued the plug  back in with!  The thread was impossible to return to original without welding. It was also an alloy sump on the KJ. However there was plenty of meat around the plug hole. I thought,  'larger plug,  drill clean and retap' I had difficulty finding a plug of the size needed. However ,I then discovered on the net, 'Fumoto, oil drain valve kit' . This is designed to replace a sump plug with a quick drain valve which is locked shut normally. The real gem is that they offered a wide range of thread sizes one of which suited me. I ordered one, retapped thread and end of problem. I kept the KJ for another 40/50k miles , off road most weeks and the valve was trouble free, quick release and no sealing problems. Of course the plug on the KJ was at the back of the sump and above a sump shield. I would be happy installing one in anything, with the exception of a sump with a plug in the underside bottom of a sump pan as it did stick out a bit more. Summarise, a good quality item that did  a good job and solved a wrecked sump plug problem.

Edited by digger
  • Like 1