Restore my Grand Cherokee

Nicholas Lavin

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Back to more scrubbing today, removed tar spots from the roof, bit more on the interior and bumper restore on rear bumper. Getting lower now the car has a bit of surface rust on the underside but aint too bad, thankfully!😁

20210322_151249.jpg

20210322_151212.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
20 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Looking amazing with just a bit of elbow grease :rsz_img16:

Thankyou Mr Aardvark! Coming up nicely but much to do still, still not done the brakes as yet so car not moving at the mo'. Engine bay is bugging me but have to do the brakes first😉

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

The one thing I am sure of is that you will get there and have an outstanding Jeep at the end of it to be proud of 👍👏

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
20 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

The one thing I am sure of is that you will get there and have an outstanding Jeep at the end of it to be proud of 👍👏

Hope so mate, lot of history for me in this Jeep but unfortunately has been outside in the south west weather and a bit neglected so just on time for a rescue!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Well folks not much going on for the past week but did manage to jack her up and remove all four wheels, filled them with air using my mate's compressor and cleaned the alloys better. Waiting for some tools to crack the brakes off so I can move her back. Front bumper looks weird it's gone really patchy, time to get the Auto Glym bag out! Windscreen has white staining unfortunatly on edges, anything I can do about that? Better weather this week hopefully I can crack on!🤩

20210329_104219.jpg

20210329_104326.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Now it's getting diiirrrrty! Quick clean off, remove loose rust it will get treated and painted later😁

20210329_135013.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Seconds out, round 2!! Rear brakes worked today, everything now moving thankfully and I can roll the Jeep back for front end action. Fortunately the calipers seem ok and the boots are in good condition, relubed the sliders and put everything back together. Still on oem discs, I reckon they may clean up with a wire brush in a high speed drill!👍

20210330_105157.jpg

20210330_105143.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Coming along really nice, be interesting to see if those rear disks do clean up or if you treat her to some new ones 👍👏:rsz_img16:

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
36 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Coming along really nice, be interesting to see if those rear disks do clean up or if you treat her to some new ones 👍👏:rsz_img16:

Hi Mr Aardvark, yes indeed coming along very well thanks! Plan at the mo is just to get her mobile, then to my friends motor club for the extra work. Disks arent scored they are just rusty, could replace them but will see what my friend recommends. Will be on the four poster for a while so will do all that at the same time, thanks for the reply it keeps me motivated!🤩

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Another quick post, engine bay now that the brakes are done, removed all of the water bottles, batt tray etc for corrosion checks, relieved that there is no rust on the bodywork!😎😎

20210330_142134.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Morning all, more fettling on the engine bay, quick wash out to remove dust and check for corrosion/ rust etc, not too bad. Top up of coolant in radiator before firing up, hasnt lost much while standing, hope it will be stable with engine running. Also pic of my toolbox with an olf Jeep World sticker!🤩🤩

20210331_103013.jpg

20210331_102918.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Jeep World Magazine is a publication I have never read or previously been aware of, and whilst I'm sure it is/was a very worthy periodical I'm afraid to say I find it a bit improbable that a Jeep magazine based in the UK, and by the look of it in Doncaster, could really lay claim to being "The World's Leading Independent Jeep magazine" 🤔😉 .................. which is probably where I find out that it was run by someone on this forum who I have now mortally offended 😁 

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
37 minutes ago, TimC said:

Jeep World Magazine is a publication I have never read or previously been aware of, and whilst I'm sure it is/was a very worthy periodical I'm afraid to say I find it a bit improbable that a Jeep magazine based in the UK, and by the look of it in Doncaster, could really lay claim to being "The World's Leading Independent Jeep magazine" 🤔😉 .................. which is probably where I find out that it was run by someone on this forum who I have now mortally offended 😁 

Hi Tim, well the mag did exist for sure but dont think that I have any copies left, I was in the club around 99 to 2000, forget the name of chap who ran it but hopefully he may spot the post, think he's a yorkshire man who may be offended and up for a fight!🙈😆

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member

Wasn't Andy from Jeepey by any chance?? Sort of the right part of the world.

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
12 minutes ago, TimC said:

Wasn't Andy from Jeepey by any chance?? Sort of the right part of the world.

Sorry Tim cant remember, I think I may have kept one mag somewhere for nostagia, maybe he is in there on the edit credits or writers forward maybe..

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Flying along nicely today, engine is all cleaned and minor rust spots treated, also really pleased that I was able to remove the wiper arms and cowling cover, thank god for you tube! Those arms are tricky to get off unless you know the method! Cleaned out the dead leaves and muck, hope that the wiper motor linkages arent seized!🙄😉

20210401_110731.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Cowling back on after a lick of paint on the wiper mech inside, will leave the wiper arms off for now and paint them properly later. Was truly flithy behind that panel glad i've cleaned under there and treated the rust.😎

20210401_134811.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Great work looking much better.

Thanks Tony, shame the windscreen is looking tired around the edges, may need to replace it later down the line, looks like edge delamination letting in moisture.

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Hi chaps, starting to get more tricky now so may need some technical advice. I want to remove the lpg adapter ring which is corroded on the outside and also probably to the throttle body connecting face. Would it be a push fit to the throttle body and if so how best to remove it, heat? I need replace it afterwards, what is it called exactly, any ideas? Thanks in advance!👍

20210402_114345.jpg

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
2 hours ago, Nicholas Lavin said:

Hi chaps, starting to get more tricky now so may need some technical advice. I want to remove the lpg adapter ring which is corroded on the outside and also probably to the throttle body connecting face. Would it be a push fit to the throttle body and if so how best to remove it, heat? I need replace it afterwards, what is it called exactly, any ideas? Thanks in advance!👍

20210402_114345.jpg

Update to this one..Have removed the whole throttle body assy and have dressed out the corrosion, well almost, needs a bit more filing. Maybe I dont need to remove the lpg ring as it is perma stuck! Coming up ok, and was a good opportunity to clean inside the throttle barrel too!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Greetings Jeep nuts! Cleaned my engine up and happy with the results so far, throttle body polished up not perfect but ok for now. Throttle barrel now super clean also inside. Next mission plugs out, bit of oil on the bores and attempt to turn her over using the crank bolt by hand. Then new battery, fuel and kick the tyres and light the fires,,hopefully!🌶🌶💥

20210404_150726.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Well she's coming along great, managed to turn the engine over with plugs out, bit of fresh oil injected into the bores, was a pig for access underneath so removed the skid plate. Now on the rust treating and paint, did the rear fuel tank quickly today and polished my donkey's plonker exhaust tip or trumpet!🤣😁

20210414_134655.jpg

20210414_134630.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I think your ZJ is going to be gr8!

I've been thinking of changing my WK but am not keen on all the tech in new cars which I have to pay for ,even when I don't want it all.