Restore my Grand Cherokee

Nicholas Lavin

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Hi folks thanks for the add. Without realising I have constantly had a Jeep since 1996, first a Wrangler then the '98 Grand Cherokee both from new in Oman. The Grand is in UK and badly needs a resto..cant decide whether to scrap, restore, sell on as is. I need some motivation, what do you guys think I should do with it? Stuck on my driveway so I have to get her going! Thanks guys!

received_2324079687813804.jpeg

• Platinum Member

Welcome to JOC.

Wow. It looks like a ZJ!  Very rare now in uk and appears to be reasonable nick from what I can see. What's wrong with it?  Unless it has severe underneath problems I think she should be sold for renovation if you can't do it yourself.  I did know someone who was looking for a ZJ.   I'll find out if he's sorted if you'd  like me to. What motor is in her? Where is she in uk? Any more pics?

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Thanks guys! Yes in good nick, not many pics at this time, i'm.abroad but return this week and hopefully will clean her up and take more. Been standing really, new brakes and going a bit rusty in the engine bay. I did spray in lps3 corrosion inhibiter, needs a good clean off. A project indeed!

FB_IMG_1615126009116.jpg

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
24 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hi Nicholas and welcome to the club. What needs doing on your ZJ? She looks in good condition in that photo.

Thanks Jim, need to get some more pics up!

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
27 minutes ago, digger said:

Welcome to JOC.

Wow. It looks like a ZJ!  Very rare now in uk and appears to be reasonable nick from what I can see. What's wrong with it?  Unless it has severe underneath problems I think she should be sold for renovation if you can't do it yourself.  I did know someone who was looking for a ZJ.   I'll find out if he's sorted if you'd  like me to. What motor is in her? Where is she in uk? Any more pics?

Hi Digger, should be solid underneath but needs brakes and service items, she was serviceable before the lay up. 4.0 petrol but has lpg gas conversion, shame most of the local stations are gone! Located in Plymouth, sunny Devon!

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the club!

My first Jeep was a Red 1995 ZJ. 

(Had to sell it in 1996 as I moved to the UK.)

Yours looks good and ready for rejuvenation.  

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
11 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

Welcome to the club!

My first Jeep was a Red 1995 ZJ. 

(Had to sell it in 1996 as I moved to the UK.)

Yours looks good and ready for rejuvenation.  

Nice! I have the brochure somewhere with a red ZJ on it! Yep i'm getting fired up now for a pre resto resto, firstly to get it moving, then over to my mate's garage for deep fettling!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Found pics when she was new, May '98 Muscat, Oman. Bit of polish may be able to get her back to mint but not sure!🤣

FB_IMG_1615406510820.jpg

FB_IMG_1615406555397.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Wrangler action before the Grand, loved this car but wasnt so comfortable in the Gulf temperatures. My wife scanned and uploaded the pics some years ago and I just found them! Love it!🤩

FB_IMG_1615455865161.jpg

FB_IMG_1615455824809.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Great pics 👍 that does really look fun.

My brother in law has a couple similar of his YJ in Doha from probably about the same period I'm guessing, including one of it airborne off a dune. Must try and get a copy. 

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
5 minutes ago, TimC said:

Great pics 👍 that does really look fun.

My brother in law has a couple similar of his YJ in Doha from probably about the same period I'm guessing, including one of it airborne off a dune. Must try and get a copy. 

Hi Tim thanks! Very happy days out there in Oman, Jeep scene was awesome and cheap too, esp the fuel🤣 My YJ was new in '96 but an end of line model before the new shape came in. Had it 2 1/2 years I think, went all over with it!👍

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

More pics of the Wrangler, going off the topic thread sorry! Helps with motivation remembering good times in a Jeep!

FB_IMG_1615480429939.jpg

FB_IMG_1615455943391.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Not in such fine fettle today, big clean up tomorrow and a bit of tlc to get her going, interior is ok but needs more scrubbing. Car looks awful I must say but it is 100 per cent complete, lots of work ahead!

20210316_140159.jpg

20210316_140139.jpg

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
3 hours ago, Jim said:

Does not look that bad and I've MOT'd worse.

I would suggest that you clean all the drain holes and runs and around the inside of the rubber door seals 

Hi Jim, yes did that today, big clean tomorrow on the exterior..usually comes up clean, the green slime protects the underneath paint🤣

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Those Laredo alloys were always my favourite. Look forward to seeing how she cleans up. How's the interior?

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
23 minutes ago, AlexK said:

Those Laredo alloys were always my favourite. Look forward to seeing how she cleans up. How's the interior?

Hi Alex, yes the Laredo alloys are nice, spare in back brand new, used once I think and has the proper wrangler tyre on it. Interior is ex condition, headlining is coming loose tho so have to fix that..

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Hi folks, work in progress first power wash to see how bad she is, not too bad there are a few rust spots so will treat them for now. At least she's clean enough to work on!

20210318_114950.jpg

20210318_114928.jpg

20210318_114917.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
9 minutes ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Looking in fantastic condition :rsz_img16:

Thank you kind Sir! Lots to do still and a few potential issues ahead but i'm not rushing🤣

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin
4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Looking extremely nice, near mint from your pictures. 

Thank you Jim, appreciate that bud! To be fair she's 23 years old so not that mint but we have had her from new so not abused at all, just parked up too long and i'm kicking myself for that!

• Platinum Member

That does look very tidy, the interior in particular.  I loved my ZJ, but they're a very rare beast these days.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
56 minutes ago, Nicholas Lavin said:

Thank you kind Sir! Lots to do still and a few potential issues ahead but i'm not rushing🤣

Shouldnt be anything too major, you have a very good starting point with everything in such good condition. Inside looks amazing too:rsz_img16:

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
Nicholas Lavin

Morning all, another quick pre resto pic, engine bay looks terrible lots of surface rust! Next job really to free off brakes, move the car back a little for access then an ultra deep clean, corrosion removal then check fluids, manually turn engine over before even thinking about fuel and power on!

20210319_115548.jpg

• Like 2