Newbie here 1974 CJ5

CyNick

• Platinum Member

Hello all,

Just thought I'd say a quick hello.

27ish years ago i brought myself a 1974 CJ5, seemed a good idea at the time and some great fun.

The last 20 years it has been hiding in my parents garage, now a bit sorry for itself, (along with me lol).

Decided this should be a project to get back on the road, so will hopefully be able to pick some knowledgeable brains here on its restoration.

Nick

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the club Nick, nice to see  a CJ on here, got any pics?

Good luck with the project, does it need a lot of work?

My CJ7 had a similar experience, off the road for a long time while other things ( kids etc.... 😁) took precedence, but so glad I didn’t sell it. Spent probably 3, maybe nearly 4 years doing it back up and doesn’t look too bad now although still don’t get out in it enough 🙄

Edited by TimC
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

Gr8. I love all Jeeps but am really keen on older ones. I think its a shame that so few older models are still running in the uk.  I understand that there are only about  60 of my YJ still on the road, a mere 27 yrs old.

Good luck Nick, I know you will have a lot of fun. There's plenty folk on here who can offer help.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi Nick,

Awesome Jeep and so glad to read that you kept it. Looking forward to pics among the journey! 

• Platinum Member

Thx for the replies guys.

Yes will dig some pics out.

Was just looking at another thread about vin numbers, and if log book right, then a cj6?

Not too sure what the difference between cj5/6 - just longer wheelbase?

In any event I think alot of learning and research coming my way

Nick

• Platinum Member
44 minutes ago, CyNick said:

Thx for the replies guys.

Yes will dig some pics out.

Was just looking at another thread about vin numbers, and if log book right, then a cj6?

Not too sure what the difference between cj5/6 - just longer wheelbase?

In any event I think alot of learning and research coming my way

Nick

Yeah, that’s right, CJ6 pretty much a CJ5 with a longer wheelbase. Almost bought a CJ6 once many years back, don’t see many, even more scarce that 5s and 7s .

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi all new to the club is there any other cj7 in the group, here is my cj7 just finished rebuilding it after it sat in my garage for 15 years. still a few bits to finish off But Hey it's a jeep always something needs fixing. 

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

You’ve managed to retain the original body on yours then by the looks, fairly rust free. Nice looking restoration job. That’s a fair lift you have too.

• Like 1