Post your Dealer and Experiences

Volant165

• Platinum Member

We frequently get asked about your local Jeep Dealer. This section is dedicated to that and could really use with individual posts with a shout out to Jeep Dealers taking care of you.

Also, and factual less than stellar service you may have received. 

Let’s update as best we can, great resource for four members.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I use Mangoletsi, I really can’t fault them.

I actually drive past a nearer dealer because I rate their service so highly.

They were the only dealer, that I contacted, that were willing and able to do the dreaded Sat-Nav update.

All round helpful dealer, only downside is they are so busy it’s hard to get the service department on the phone but an email will get a call back.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, MacManus said:

I use Mangoletsi, I really can’t fault them.

I actually drive past a nearer dealer because I rate their service so highly.

They were the only dealer, that I contacted, that were willing and able to do the dreaded Sat-Nav update.

All round helpful dealer, only downside is they are so busy it’s hard to get the service department on the phone but an email will get a call back.

Thanks, this is exactly the type of helpful reference we need updating on. 😊

• 2 years later...
  • Platinum Member

Sadly, I can no longer recommend or give a good review of this dealer as they have seriously gone down hill.

After my last two visits there have been wrong parts fitted, parts broken and tried to be hidden then the breakages denied. 

This included a auto shifter knob button, which was snapped off and left in a cubby on the centre console and the pollen filter cover which had it's securing tabs snapped off and the cover just placed back into place until it fell out from behind the dash on the way home.

Also they have booked me in on the wrong days and not performed the service on my car on the day it was booked in and dropped off.

I also rang Preston Jeep for a quote for an 8 year service and MOT and they quoted me £250 + VAT more than any other dealer!

My experience with Jeep dealers is now at an all time low, it's a shame really as I love the car itself, It's time to find a good independent garage.

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, MacManus said:

Sadly, I can no longer recommend or give a good review of this dealer as they have seriously gone down hill.

After my last two visits there have been wrong parts fitted, parts broken and tried to be hidden then the breakages denied. 

This included a auto shifter knob button, which was snapped off and left in a cubby on the centre console and the pollen filter cover which had it's securing tabs snapped off and the cover just placed back into place until it fell out from behind the dash on the way home.

Also they have booked me in on the wrong days and not performed the service on my car on the day it was booked in and dropped off.

I also rang Preston Jeep for a quote for an 8 year service and MOT and they quoted me £250 + VAT more than any other dealer!

My experience with Jeep dealers is now at an all time low, it's a shame really as I love the car itself, It's time to find a good independent garage.

Sadly it seems that there are two constantly recurring themes on this forum:

1. The price of new Jeeps has risen by way more than that of other models; and,

2. The service provided by most of the small number of Jeep delaerships left is awful.

No business can price as a premium product and provide an awful customer experience.  I've said it before and will say it again, I don't see Jeep continuing to sell vehicles in the UK for many more years.

• Platinum Member

Ford, GM and Stellantis are all having the same problems in the USA pricing themselves out of the market. Fortunately, they have recognised that if they don't have a product for the sub-$30K market, other manufacturers will fill that void for them.

In the past, manufacturers have created a luxury brand spin-off, Lexus from Toyota, Acura from Honda, Hummer from GM. This has protected their price ranges across different market segments and enabled them to switch off a brand when needed (Hummer). Jeep just put their prices up and forced the lower priced entry level into car platform based products. As a consequence they caused long term damage to their enthusiast base by selling new vehicles to an ever shrinking up market customer base. For those in that segment, they probably enjoy the new exclusivity of the brand while it exists. Exclusivity goes hand in hand with rarity. Rarity of spare parts is not something any car owner likes.

I hope Jeep does enter the sub-$30K pickup truck market in the USA. Within a few years, when the dashboard electronics dependent vehicles start failing with non-replaceable electronics there will be a consumer rejection of built-in tech in cars. At some point the Wrangler will become so over priced that the off-road enthusiast manufacturers will shift focus to the sub-$30K pickups. When the Wrangler's sales volumes fall to luxury vehicle levels. Jeep could release a new bare-bones solid axle unibody 4x4 in the sub-$30K segment under a new model name, perhaps 'Commando' that leaves the Wrangler to it's exclusivity and complexity.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a45752401/toyotas-10000-future-pickup-truck-is-basic-transportation-perfection/

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

V that is my feelings also as much as I love our Jeep.  Once we have had the bonnet repair done we will be seriously looking at replacing our 2018 GC Overland with a 2016 Toyota Landcruiser.  Quote for our next service is over £1000 and that will be for the 6 year main service although the Jeep will only have done under 50k miles.  Maybe find an indie in West Midlands who knows Jeep?  Having said that Unity have been the best dealership to deal with for issues with the Jeep.

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, V said:

I hope Jeep does enter the sub-$30K pickup truck market in the USA. Within a few years, when the dashboard electronics dependent vehicles start failing with non-replaceable electronics there will be a consumer rejection of built-in tech in cars. At some point the Wrangler will become so over priced that the off-road enthusiast manufacturers will shift focus to the sub-$30K pickups. When the Wrangler's sales volumes fall to luxury vehicle levels. Jeep could release a new bare-bones solid axle unibody 4x4 in the sub-$30K segment under a new model name, perhaps 'Commando' that leaves the Wrangler to it's exclusivity and complexity.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a45752401/toyotas-10000-future-pickup-truck-is-basic-transportation-perfection/

But would that sub $30k pick up be Jeep branded, if Jeep is being positioned as a luxury brand.  I think the ne GC is even more expensive than a Wrangler.  But as above, pointless being a luxury brand if you can't give decent customer service.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Surfer said:

V that is my feelings also as much as I love our Jeep.  Once we have had the bonnet repair done we will be seriously looking at replacing our 2018 GC Overland with a 2016 Toyota Landcruiser.  Quote for our next service is over £1000 and that will be for the 6 year main service although the Jeep will only have done under 50k miles.  Maybe find an indie in West Midlands who knows Jeep?  Having said that Unity have been the best dealership to deal with for issues with the Jeep.

Have you made any more progress on the bonnet issue?

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

Have you made any more progress on the bonnet issue?

I phoned jeep Customer services this morning to get an update on my warranty claim and it turns out that the Jeep franchised dealer has not even submitted any warranty claim!  Really annoyed now. Time to escalate!

To add to the above I have just returned from taking the Jeep to the approved body shop as I was accused of not caring for the goods.  They examined the vehicle again and confirmed that a previous repair had ben attempted.  However more importantly they also stated that even if no repair had been attempted, there is no way that such extensive corrosion would have happened in the space of a year.

Also research using Google throws up numerous posts regarding this corrosion issue on Jeep GC and which also occurs on the door hinges of Wranglers.  The latter was also mentioned to me by the body shop as they have done a few.  It seems that Jeep has been aware of this issue since about 2014!

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Surfer said:

I phoned jeep Customer services this morning to get an update on my warranty claim and it turns out that the Jeep franchised dealer has not even submitted any warranty claim!  Really annoyed now. Time to escalate!

To add to the above I have just returned from taking the Jeep to the approved body shop as I was accused of not caring for the goods.  They examined the vehicle again and confirmed that a previous repair had ben attempted.  However more importantly they also stated that even if no repair had been attempted, there is no way that such extensive corrosion would have happened in the space of a year.

Also research using Google throws up numerous posts regarding this corrosion issue on Jeep GC and which also occurs on the door hinges of Wranglers.  The latter was also mentioned to me by the body shop as they have done a few.  It seems that Jeep has been aware of this issue since about 2014!

Deeply frustrating, but not a complete surprise.  I rather suspect they rely on most people just giving in if they make it difficult enough to progress.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

We can all moan about Jeep but at the end of the day,for me,  Jeep is one of my 4 best brands(no1 actually) over 50+ years of motoring for service, comfort and most important, reliability.

I have recently bought another premium brand car(1 of the 4) so mechanical service with the dealer, remains to be seen. However I believe my buying experience often reflects how a dealership is managed all round. I always make(or try to make!) an appt by telephone or online beforehand. You may be interested in my scoresheet below where 10 is highest possible ie polite, remember who you are, efficient , obliging, return one's calls/emails,do not mind spending time with an enquiring customer etc. Vehicles are well presented, maintained,checked thoroughly before you try them out. They suggest models that actually match your description of what is required.  They have good good sales people who listen to customer's needs.  They don't try to tell me I want something I don't or 'would get used to it!' They do not have any issues with whatever/how many test drives you require etc. Any score of 8 or more is excellent and it may be they just didn't offer what we  wanted!  😀

A score of only 1 is the complete opposite of 10. I've added a few comments after the brand scores just to give an idea of how we were treated!  1 would be really awful eg I turned up to an appointment with Evans Halshaw about 8 yrs ago to try a WK they had . They had sold the car,hadn't bothered to ring me. I had to sit in the managers office ,refuse to move, threaten to ring the police after which they gave me £50 cash  to get rid of me. I had driven 15miles to them!😬👎

Key My company size perception?  Small group (S)  

All these are main dealers are geographically relevant to us.

Volvo    Johnsons. (S) Glos, Score 9 3 test drives

Jeep     Unity Oxford,(S), 9  One appt. A number of test drives in different models.

Alfa Romeo    Unity Oxford, (S), 9  One test drive.

Mazda,(S)Glos,9  2 test drives.

Marshall, Jaguar , Staverton,  8.    2 appts 2 test drives

Heritage, Glos,  Lexus. 7  one test drive.

Renault (to try a used Mazda) Glos,   7

Jaguar Swindon, Grange,  6

Bristol St, Ford, Glos.  2.  one test drive booked .  Car had flat battery then in  in limp mode so waited nearly an hour before test was possible.

Mercedes, Staverton, Sytner 2. Useless , just downright disinterested! No respect for customers time!

Audi , Heritage , Cheltenham,  2  1st test useless,car nothing like what I had requested.  2nd appt Q3 test car was in limp mode from the off,  so aborted! No respect for customers time.

I still love my Jeeps! 😀

Edited by digger
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

Digger we had a similar experience with Evans in Gloucester except ours was 50 mile round trip.  Waited ages past our appointment time and still no sales rep.  Another came when we threaten to leave and took us to the WK which was jammed packed in a storage compound.  No way could we test drive it however they let us start it and then asked if we would like to buy it.  Never went back!

We tried a new Jeep dealership in Hereford about 25 miles from our residence for a repair.  What should have been a simple repair cost us over £2000 and a lot of inconvenience and then the original fault was still there.  Should have gone to Unity!

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

Hi Surfer, my 'Evans H' was in Cheltenham! I had to 'effectively' force my way into the managers office where they were doing the horses!

I cannot understand why so many customers put up with this nonsense, and still buy! Maybe the majority of sales are business sales or company car purchases who do not test drive, ask questions etc. only the price is of interest!   I also wonder if they use some kind of obscure screening /filtering . If so its wildly inaccurate in assessing potential buyers!

IMHO, a lot of the sales managers need sacking or a kick up the bottom. I get fed up with waiting when so many of their staff are sat around doing absolutely nothing! No wonder a lot of sales staff have a poor reputation. Bring back decent commission I say!  Estate agents are the same, gone has the day when they tried to get you a better price which more than paid for their commission!

• Platinum Member

I don't know about that. EH  was in 'Kingsditch Lane' industrial area.

The only Jeep dealer in Cheltenham I remember was ' Gloucestershire Jeep' on Gloucester Rd. They moved there from Barnwood, Gloucester . They were another excellent Jeep dealer, started and run by Jim Prentice who was a real petrol head and a Jeep enthusiast  who had a Willys and raced a classic TR3A! I bought my 1st Jeep there,a new XJ in '93.They really looked after it! Jim even lent me his Willys so I could take a'D' day veteran for a ride in it who had always wanted a ride in one! Glos Jeep vanished! I was told Jim retired, it was bought by Mercedes ,who moved it to Staverton, ran it badly and closed it down to expand their Merc dealer next door.

I would buy a new XJ now. I'm not a fan of 'modern' cars but it seems one has to put up with them!

Edited by digger
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, digger said:

I don't know about that. EH  was in 'Kingsditch Lane' industrial area.

The only Jeep dealer in Cheltenham I remember was ' Gloucestershire Jeep' on Gloucester Rd. They moved there from Barnwood, Gloucester . They were another excellent Jeep dealer, started and run by Jim Prentice who was a real petrol head and a Jeep enthusiast  who had a Willys and raced a classic TR3A! I bought my 1st Jeep there,a new XJ in '93.They really looked after it! Jim even lent me his Willys so I could take a'D' day veteran for a ride in it who had always wanted a ride in one! Glos Jeep vanished! I was told Jim retired, it was bought by Mercedes ,who moved it to Staverton, ran it badly and closed it down to expand their Merc dealer next door.

I would buy a new XJ now. I'm not a fan of 'modern' cars but it seems one has to put up with them!

At some point my son will not need to share a car with my wife and we will look to change her car.  At this point I am musing whether we would buy an older car with a budget for a complete refurb, rather than something newer.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Our second car is a 1996 Corolla 1300 which is automatic and has air con.  It has done 122000 miles and still going strong and see no need to trade it in as it is our town run about.  Very economical to run and repairs are easy

• Platinum Member
On 16/11/2023 at 11:28, Surfer said:

I am having a similar experience. Made an appointment at the dealer for them to view and then take to body shop for photos, etc, of the bonnet corrosion. Dealer looked at my WK2 SRT bonnet in the rain - I had just driven almost 50 miles to get there - and they said there had been a previous repair and that Jeep were therefore unlikely to honour the corrosion warranty and that a new bonnet would cost £9k! They did not even take it to the body shop. Two days later I had a phone call to say that Jeep would not authorise a new bonnet.

Contacted Jeep Customer Care and they had no record of a claim being submitted but asked me to send photos taken by the Dealer. Received an email from Customer Care asking for quotation for the work. Went to local Fiat dealership who have an approved Accident Repair facility. The experienced technician said there was no evidence of previous work and I was provided with an quotation for a new bonnet. Sent the quote to Jeep Customer Care earlier this week and asked for confirmation of receipt of my email.

Still waiting for a response. I have finally lost faith in the Jeep brand after owning 5 Grand Cherokees and a CJ7 over the last 20+ years.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, Whitebeard said:

I am having a similar experience. Made an appointment at the dealer for them to view and then take to body shop for photos, etc, of the bonnet corrosion. Dealer looked at my WK2 SRT bonnet in the rain - I had just driven almost 50 miles to get there - and they said there had been a previous repair and that Jeep were therefore unlikely to honour the corrosion warranty and that a new bonnet would cost £9k! They did not even take it to the body shop. Two days later I had a phone call to say that Jeep would not authorise a new bonnet.

Contacted Jeep Customer Care and they had no record of a claim being submitted but asked me to send photos taken by the Dealer. Received an email from Customer Care asking for quotation for the work. Went to local Fiat dealership who have an approved Accident Repair facility. The experienced technician said there was no evidence of previous work and I was provided with an quotation for a new bonnet. Sent the quote to Jeep Customer Care earlier this week and asked for confirmation of receipt of my email.

Still waiting for a response. I have finally lost faith in the Jeep brand after owning 5 Grand Cherokees and a CJ7 over the last 20+ years.

Not sure when you bought your Jeep, but if bought from a dealer in the past 6 years remember that Consumer Rights Act 2015 is a very powerful weapon.  You would use S9, 10 and 11 of the CRA 2015 against the dealership whether a Jeep dealer or not.  It seems to be fairly easy to prove that the fault existed at time of manufacture therefore was present at time of purchase and is known as an inherent fault.  Even the dealer's smart highly paid solicitors cannot argue against it.  How much were you quoted for a replacement bonnet?

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Not sure when you bought your Jeep, but if bought from a dealer in the past 6 years remember that Consumer Rights Act 2015 is a very powerful weapon.  You would use S9, 10 and 11 of the CRA 2015 against the dealership whether a Jeep dealer or not.  It seems to be fairly easy to prove that the fault existed at time of manufacture therefore was present at time of purchase and is known as an inherent fault.  Even the dealer's smart highly paid solicitors cannot argue against it.  How much were you quoted for a replacement bonnet?

Many thanks for your advice. I bought the Jeep (first registered 31 March 2017) from Pentagon Jeep in Doncaster who sold the Jeep to the first owner, serviced it and then sold it to me just before he first Covid lockdown in February 2020. A few weeks later that branch closed and outstanding warranty work was transferred to Pentagon Barnsley before Pentagon gave up the Jeep franchise. Reads Jeep of Derby said that a new painted SRT bonnet would cost £9k  - a standard WK2 would be circa £3k. My local Fiat accident repair centre quoted just over £3k and have confirmed that it is the correct bonnet but I am not sure if it is a genuine Jeep one or an aftermarket one - I have asked the question and am waiting for an answer.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Whitebeard said:

Many thanks for your advice. I bought the Jeep (first registered 31 March 2017) from Pentagon Jeep in Doncaster who sold the Jeep to the first owner, serviced it and then sold it to me just before he first Covid lockdown in February 2020. A few weeks later that branch closed and outstanding warranty work was transferred to Pentagon Barnsley before Pentagon gave up the Jeep franchise. Reads Jeep of Derby said that a new painted SRT bonnet would cost £9k  - a standard WK2 would be circa £3k. My local Fiat accident repair centre quoted just over £3k and have confirmed that it is the correct bonnet but I am not sure if it is a genuine Jeep one or an aftermarket one - I have asked the question and am waiting for an answer.

If it was bought using finance then the finance company is also liable and it normally best to pursue the finance company as you stand a good chance of winning as the fault was present prior to purchase!  The fact that Pentagon closed a dealership and no longer have the Jeep franchise does not matter as the contract is between Pentagon and yourself and not between Jeep and yourself.

• Platinum Member
38 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If it was bought using finance then the finance company is also liable and it normally best to pursue the finance company as you stand a good chance of winning as the fault was present prior to purchase!  The fact that Pentagon closed a dealership and no longer have the Jeep franchise does not matter as the contract is between Pentagon and yourself and not between Jeep and yourself.

Only thing I would check is if each dealer is a separate legal entity.  If I was structuring their business I would make each dealership a separate legal entity so I could ring fence the risk and collapse any particular dealership if there was a major issue, without risk to the wider group.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, Surfer said:

I’m really interested to see how this pans out.  If the CRA is enforceable in this situation it would have serious consequences for any dealers selling any of the Jeep models with this type of corrosion issue, ie ticking time bomb due to method of construction well known and documented.  If such claims are upheld then logically every Jeep subject to such a claim would lose a lot of value.  Dealers will know that they are on the hook for the risk of covering the cost of the repair and adjust the offer for trade ins accordingly.  

• Like 1