Renegade 75th Spare Wheel & Spot Light Question

Tony-U

• Platinum Member

After 2 years of searching, I've finally acquired a matching 18" alloy to act as a spare for my 75th. To the best of my knowledge, these were never available from Jeep as a spare, other than the 4 supplied on each corner of brand new 75ths! Even if you ordered a spare with your new 75th, I believe you actually got a silver Limited wheel! So, last week, my periodic check of eBay for anyone breaking a 75th finally came good. Whilst I don't think there are any other 75th owners on this group, just in case it helps anyone, there are currently 3 more available from Fenside Breakers on ebay, although one of them has some damage - just search for "Jeep Renegade 18" Alloy" (I asked them to remove the tyre from mine).They also have some other 75th parts.

It's had a clean and just needs a new Yokomaha GO15 tyre now. Apart from a few tiny stone chips, it's fantastic

I also have a pair of Cibie Oscar LED 7" spot lights on order, and I'd like to ask Trailhawk please about mounting brackets. Could you please advise which brackets you have used on the pair of Anvil Trailhawks, to mount these within the grill assembly? Many thanks in advance.

Wheel.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi Tony U,

Just checked in to the forum after a long spell of absence (lockdown somewhat curtailing the usual Jeep shenanigans).

Firstly greatly admire your dedication to the cause of hunting down stuff you really want to get your jeep sorted, and those wheels were definitely worth it.

Anyway, the light hangers...these were custom made by my brother and come down from the front valance mounts just under the bonnet and are secured behind the grill using one of the wee holes. And as per your earlier question, they are just relayed in to the main beam circuit. And coincidentally, his lights are Oscars too ( I went for KC Slimlights myself).

Here's a link to his Expedition Portal forum post that shows the build (and all sorts of other cool things he's been doing to his Renegade)...https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/just-downsized-to-a-renegade-build-and-trips.207115/page-3

Keep us posted on your Renegade news!

• Platinum Member

Hi Trailhawk,

Many, many thanks for your response - really appreciate it. I had pretty much concluded that some sort of custom brackets would be necessary, and indeed have started design work on my own solution. My idea involves a 50mm wide 3mm thick steel "Z" bracket which bolts to the heavy duty plastic frame revealed once you remove the "hood catch panel" (set back about 190mm, above the rad). It's a pretty easy panel to remove.

Looking at the expedition portal link, I see your brother's solution is very ingenious, and also incredibly intricate - and it avoids cutting into the grille. I will need to give this further thought, as I had resigned myself to small horizontal slits needing to be cut into the bottom of the honeycombe grille within slots "1" and "7", to allow the brackets to poke out by about 80mm.

I've looked at a few spot light options, but road legal options are limited, hence I went for LED Oscars. Hard to get black ones in the UK at the moment, but (after a let-down from a german supplier) I've hopefully got some on their way from France (the home of Cibie, after all). Would love to have Rigid 360-series spots, but little point really if they're not road legal, as the whole point is to wire these to main beam.

Really looking forward to a summer where - hopefully - we can all get out and about more, and I'm certainly keen to attend some Jeep meet-ups, do a bit of off-roading and "fly the Renegade flag" a little. In the meantime, I'll enjoy looking through that expedition portal - thanks again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

The Cibie LED Oscars arrived from France a few weeks ago (a very good deal, and somehow these escaped all import charges!). So, I set to work on designing some brackets for the Renegade. I settled on a 2-part lamp bracket design, which avoids too much hacking about of the front grille. This took quite a lot of careful measuring and test-fitting, but I'm pretty pleased with the end result.

Material is 50mm x 6mm aluminium bar, painted a "pseudo-powder coat" black. The inner parts bolt to the tough plastic cross-member above the radiator, plus there's a tiny "stabilisation" bolt through the centre of grille slots 1 and 7. The "prongs" of the uprights of the outer parts are then inserted through the grille holes at the bottom of slots 1 and 7, then angled upwards and bolted to the inner parts from the inside. Each bracket is bolted together with six M5 x 18mm socket head bolts; I've added M5 threaded inserts to the inner parts.

The lower, outermost grille hole had to be drilled/cut out in slots 1 and 7, as this is one of the holes that's filled-in. Also, behind the grille, a small amount of plastic had to be removed from the top corners of the horizontal cover directing inbound air towards the radiator, to allow the fitting of the upright "prongs".

Here's a few pics which should make sense, one of the 4 component parts and two of the assembled brackets. I'll post a couple more soon, once they are fitted to the Jeep.

Brackets1.jpg

Brackets2.jpg

Brackets3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Fantastic stuff..and great finish. Look forward to seeing them all fitted and shining bright.

• Platinum Member

Just remembered, I never posted the pics of the brackets and lights fitted:

Brackets.jpg

Bracket close-up.jpg

Spots1.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Nicely done I did the wifes with an Aussie spec number plate bar, but I really like what you've done there.