Jeep caught in flash flood

Surfer

• Platinum Member

This took place in South Africa where at it was the height of summer.  They were camped in a dry river bed with chance of rain in the summer zero however a there was a heavy rainstorm  many miles up river resulting in a flash flood.  I am quite amaze that the Jeep managed to go against the water and make its way to dry land.  See

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

As my Dad would say.......'never, ever camp, or even drive down dry river beds in Africa unless you have a quick escape route'

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I had similar experiences in South Africa one year, camp next to a dry river bed, next morning, flash floods and river bust it's banks. 

we were lucky as we were on a little bit higher ground, but other caravans, tent etc got wash downstream. 

Fortunately no casualties

• Platinum Member

When I lived in Africa this was drilled into us to avoid camping in dry river beds.  The storm could be happening several or more miles away in the mountains.  Where you are camped it is lovely and sunny when suddenly a wall of water appears out of nowhere.  The Jeep did a Sterling job.  BTW they pulled the camper out and no real damage to it as designed for those sort of conditions.

Came very close to being flooded out at Lickhill Caravan park in Stourport on Severn many years ago and where we were camped was on a rise and about 1/2 mile from river Severn.  River broke its banks and flooded around the campsite encircling us.  We were given less than an hour to take down awning, hook up caravan and take the gap.  We left some stuff behind and when the water subsided went looking for it.

Lickhill flooding Jan 07.JPG

Lickhill flooding 01 Jan 07.JPG

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Impressed with both the Jeep and the trailer surviving that one.

BUT ................... I am sure I saw the Landcruiser laughing a lot, after not even getting it's feet wet 🤣🤣🤣