Orders from the United States

TimC

• Platinum Member

For anyone in the process of, or thinking about placing an order with a US supplier for parts and accessories I just received this email from Quadratec:

"I am very sorry but as you may know the United Kingdom is leaving the European Union and with it come a variety of last minute changes to customs rules and regulations. we cannot take, process or ship any orders shipping to the United Kingdom that is less than $185 US Dollars or 135 British pounds. This INCLUDES any order we’ve already taken sitting on backorder and for now, any warranty / “zero dollar” shipments that have a retail value under $185."

I don't know if this will apply to other suppliers or if it is just a Quadratec policy but worth checking if you have or are about to place any orders. Apparently this should be temporary until the additional red tape gets sorted out.

Another of the big advantages of leaving the EU 🙄, so many I can hardly keep track.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Why do I think that this will effect a lot of stuff being ordered into the country, and how much longer will it be until suppliers start to have second thoughts about dealing with the UK ??????????????????

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
5 hours ago, TimC said:

For anyone in the process of, or thinking about placing an order with a US supplier for parts and accessories I just received this email from Quadratec:

"I am very sorry but as you may know the United Kingdom is leaving the European Union and with it come a variety of last minute changes to customs rules and regulations. we cannot take, process or ship any orders shipping to the United Kingdom that is less than $185 US Dollars or 135 British pounds. This INCLUDES any order we’ve already taken sitting on backorder and for now, any warranty / “zero dollar” shipments that have a retail value under $185."

I don't know if this will apply to other suppliers or if it is just a Quadratec policy but worth checking if you have or are about to place any orders. Apparently this should be temporary until the additional red tape gets sorted out.

Another of the big advantages of leaving the EU 🙄, so many I can hardly keep track.

Good thing I got my small order from Quadratec before these changes took place. Fedex made the delivery but I still got charged £7.00 UK taxs and £12.00 by Fedex for the privilage of paying the taxs. You have to love global free trade 💩🤮

• Platinum Member

DB Schenker has also stopped and that is from EU to UK. It is a temporary stop until people fill out the paperwork the right way. 

US companies have for ages steered away from shipping to the UK as you know. I think we will have a bit of a drought until everyone figures out the surcharges, includes them in the aggro price and then carries on as money is money and they will sort it out albeit at a higher price. 

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

it will all calm down soon, at the end of the day, they want our trade.

There is bound to be a few problems, as there were when we joined the EU, but at least we are out of that horrendous biased system, and the country will be better for it in the end.  end of rant...... 😂

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
On 14/01/2021 at 17:41, AlexK said:

I have read through (some of) this document and tried to read a bit more around the subject but am still struggling to get my head round it.

First though I have to give a thumbs up to Quadratec for their, as usual, excellent communication and customer service........even though it was actually their error that put me in this predicament. However as with most organisations it isn’t possible to get everything 100% right 100% of the time. What matters is when you do inevitably make a mistake you own it and do your damnedest to put it right ( unlike the all to often seen other options, usually favoured by politicians, of ignoring it and hoping it will eventually go away, or pointing the finger of blame at someone else or denying reality and saying the problem doesn’t exist.

Any how, I digress, I was explaining what actually brought this up. I’d ordered an item which was over £135 in value before Christmas and it arrived but was the wrong item, a picking error, the part number was out by one digit. I informed Quadratec and they immediately apologised for the error and said they would send out the correct item free of charge.

This is where the nonsense starts, because they are sending it at no cost it is below the £135.00 threshold for import duty and therefore they have to register for UK VAT EVEN THOUGH the VAT on it will be 20% of 0.00 so there is nothing to actually pay. Since the process of registering for UK VAT is a complication and expense that just isn’t worth the hassle for low value items they now, along with many other international suppliers, no longer supply to the UK unless you order is over £135 and eligible for UK customs duty in which case the old rules apply........I think.

Who on earth came up with this bureaucratic  nonsense? This was not an inevitable consequence of leaving the EU. Just because we no longer “have to put up with their stupid rules” doesn’t mean we have to come up with our own rules which are even more stupid..........I despair!

Anyway, the chances are that if you are ordering anything that is over £135 you should , in theory, be OK. Who knows? 🤔

Still, at least we’ll all be better for it in the end.........especially the fish 🙄     

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

From my understanding of having a read through the document, and scratching my head a lot, I think your right Tim👏 £135 and over, old rules apply. Under that amount and new rules apply💩

It is also my understanding that multiple items can be ordered (ie a consignment) and as long as they total over the £135 then old rules apply also. Am I right in thinking that £135 point can also include the shipping, handeling, ect ?

It would seem stupid that Quadratec would have to sign up for British VAT for what is in effect a gift (ie no charges are being made) and also import duty would have already been paid on the part that they did deliver to you. That and good old British buracratic stupidity🙄 as you have said :

cost of part        - £0.00

shipping of part - £0.00

Sub total            - £0.00

VAT @ 20%        - £0.00

Grand total        - £0.00

I'm no maths wizard but even I can work that one out 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Jim said:

Found this on the web - https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/insights/publications/2020/12/uk-vat-changes-sale-of-goods-to-customers/

"Direct sales to UK business customers (B2B consignment less than GBP135)

The seller may avoid charging VAT if they hold the UK VAT registration number of the business customer. A VAT invoice should be issued with a notation that VAT is to be accounted by the UK business customer by way of a reverse charge (this replaces acquisition VAT)." Tim, have you a VAT registered company or know anyone who has?

Hi Jim, thanks for that. Yes I have a VAT registration, but this was originally ordered as a personal order at the time. However it sounds like this might be helpful to Quadratec who have so far offered to send the replacement showing that it is $185 (£135) which means that they do not have to register for UK VAT and can therefore ship it BUT it will be subject to VAT & Duty on import at UK customs on the £135. They have suggested that they will pay the VAT and duty even though a) there is no actual value on this order it's a replacement b) the VAT and duty have already been paid once and c) it's not even their fault this new change was introduced at the last minute.

I will suggest it to them. I've been really impressed with Quadratec's customer service on this, they are doing their best. 

For me this sounds like the best way forward on this one and sounds a bit like the quarterly EC sales list we used to do for cross charging VAT within the EU, it will probably mean I will have to do some extra form filling at my end but hopefully there shouldn't be any cost as the value is zero so no VAT to pay.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1