willys cj3A

j crammond

• Platinum Member

hello again,   does anyone know if i have to put indicators on my cj3A .   Ive read a lot of stuff on the interweb and all conflicting ..  So do i ?

• Platinum Member

As I understand these sort of things. A car (or bike) only has to have what it had when it was born. No retrospective legislation.  I once temporarily removed the side repeater indicators from a (year) 2000 Mercedes, as one didn't work and I couldn't find the fault in time for MOT. It failed for not having side repeater indicators.

Edited by Fourpot

• Platinum Member

I think you should formally ask the DVSA.

My guess is that it will probably depend on the age of the vehicle and when the vehicle was first registered in the UK. There is an exemption for the IVA test for vehicles over 10 years old but construction and use law still applies. If they are already fitted then they will have to comply with the regulations at the time of fitting.

IVA manual for passenger cars

Construction and use regulations

Some years ago after compulsory seat belt law was introduced I remember having a ride in a 1950's sports car that never had seatbelts and feeling a little uncomfortable about it from a safety perspective despite it being perfectly legal at the time.

This picture of a pair of UK registered Austin 7s show that they have retrofit front indicators.

The black one appear to have them fitted high enough to be seen by the driver so doesn't need a tell tale in the cabin.

3789303038_005118d052_b.jpg

This one doesn't have rear indicators

ebay96338.jpg

This M38 has got them.

M38Jeep1L.JPG

Without indicators on the vehicle, as a driver you will be obliged to give hand signals while driving. If it were my vehicle, I would try to implement the full compliment of basic lighting as set out in the IVA manual but using period housings and lenses as far as possible.

Classic-Car-12V-Stainless-Steel-Chrome-R

db_file_img_714_800x800.jpg

• Platinum Member

My understanding is yes.

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 details a requirement for anything first used before 1986 to have at least one indicator on each side visible to both the front and the rear.

Note that they don’t have to be amber for anything first used by 1965 - front ones can be white and rear can be red. The US style of a flashing brake light is technically legal but some MOT testers fail it under the ‘interferes with another signal’ rule.  Also, they can’t be mounted to any movable part, ie. boot lid.

I had an amber turn signal behind a red lens to preserve the US look on my Mustang.

Seat belts only a requirement for anything first used 1965 I believe (might be ‘63, I always forget) However, if fitted, they must comply fully.

I’m not an MOT tester so that’s just my understanding. Of course, your ‘3 is likely to be MOT exempt anyway...

• Platinum Member

UK. 

If my understanding is correct, you need them. However, since the main check for them is an MOT and your vehicle is exempt due to age, I guess you could argue you could quite easily not bother. That just leaves the possibility of a clued-up policeman pulling you over.

If it were my vehicle I’d probably look at integrating them into whatever lighting already exists, ie. front marker lights and rear stop lights.

One word of warning: most drivers aren’t very bright these days, so anything unusual just confuses them. I’ve driven US vehicles over here that use a flashing brake light as a turn signal, and on at least a couple of occasions it’s confused following drivers enough for them to nearly run into the back of me.  Anything you can do to clarify your intentions on the road is worth considering.

• Platinum Member

thank you for the advice,   sometimes other peoples thinking comes in handy.   jim

• Like 1