• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 hours ago, PDB said:

I recommend this to keep it tip top 👍

Cheers for the recommend I will give that a go 😁👍

• 5 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

The sun is shining and the birds are singing and it's a Bank Holiday weekend so time for some Jeep work.

For those that didn't see the write up from Summer Camp, I had a bit of an issue with a rather deep puddle that left me feeling like I was on the Titanic as the water came in - at one point I was looking through my music to try and find "Abide With Me"

Front and rear footwells on drivers side with lots of water

Water even made it to the amp under the back seat. Rest in peace Amplifier

Weekend after Summer Camp I dug out the aquavac and made an attempt to get the water out - got some but not all - and yes there are no drain plugs in a WG 🤔😭

IMG_20210815_111321.jpg

IMG_20210815_111337.jpg

IMG_20210821_174050.jpg

IMG_20210821_174103.jpg

CDC9D980-DC73-40EC-918A-7B06EBDB08D3.thumb.jpeg.113839a5b866ff33bcf756d23fdbadcb.jpeg

FB0AD8DD-9555-4E6C-BBD4-A2DF6B0EAA63.thumb.jpeg.5133ad7ee0cdb457ec080b478e83d8a7.jpeg

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

So today decided it was time to attack the remaining water so out came the aquavac, socket set and the last of my sanity🤪

All the inside trime on the drivers side came off, drivers seat came out completly and the carpet got pulled back as far as possible. Still loads of water under the carpet, which Jeep in their wisdom had also attached a type of foam - and yes the foam is extreamly absorbant 🤔🤯

Many many hours later with aquavac, and the remainder of my sanity gone west, nearly all the water was gone.

IMG_20210829_100454.jpg

IMG_20210829_100502.jpg

IMG_20210829_102324.jpg

IMG_20210829_102335.jpg

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

After getting rid of all the water I could, out came the hot soapy water to get rid of the Slindon Sand, hope John doesn't want it back 🤔

Any electrical connections were taken apart and attacked with contact cleaner in the some what vain hope the speakers may be fixed. Then put everything back together again. Having got rid of the water water/mud/sand at least Aardvark now weighs a bit less🤣

The amp got replaced with a second hand one of the same make and model from "that auction site" but I still can only get sound from the rear speakers and only then when the volume is turned up to full, tweeters and front speakers are still "missing in action" so looks like it will have to go off to a competent adult to fix the issue as not sure where the problem is 🤯🤯

Still drives fine and everything else electrical still works, thank the gods of off roading, just not much in the way of sounds right now

Watch this space

Please not no hammers or fire were harmed at this time 🤣🤣

IMG_20210829_115015.jpg

IMG_20210829_143400.jpg

IMG_20210829_143413.jpg

Edited by spookie the aardvark
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

This was a mishap that happened a few too many times to a friend of mine. He wasn't as diligent as you on the cleaning. He just renamed the Jeep to Stinky, and then when Stinky got scrapped and he did it again in the next one, that became Stinky2.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
8 hours ago, V said:

This was a mishap that happened a few too many times to a friend of mine. He wasn't as diligent as you on the cleaning. He just renamed the Jeep to Stinky, and then when Stinky got scrapped and he did it again in the next one, that became Stinky2.

Cheers V now I dont feel like the lone idiot 👍😳 My fault it happened so down to me to get it sorted - and no Stinky Aardvark 🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, PDB said:

Glad you stripped it out and sorted it Spookie. Sleep easy now. 

Cheers PDB 👍 not saying I got all the water out but 99% I should think - that's what I get for being an idiot 🤣 an object lesson for others me thinks 🤣🤣

Still got the lack of sound to sort out but that will have to be a "competent adult" as I have no idea what I am looking for, if it's a wiring issue, or I managed to blow the front speakers 🤔 More costs 🤣

Was good to see how easy the seats and carpet came out, and went back in. For motorised seats they are not too heavy👍

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Been looking around for some time now for a dog/cargo guard to go into the back of the WG and finally one turned up in Falkirk, a breakers who was willing to post the thing, listed on "that auction site". Iwas told it would arrive tomorrow but got a call from my Dear Old Sainted Mum to say "A Bloody Big Package Has Turned Up For You !!!!!!!!!!" Oppppps two days after buying it it arrived on the doorstep - before I could warn Dear Old Sainted Mum it was going to arrive at sometime.

So this weekend as the sun was shining and birds singing, time to fit said dog/cargo guard. Emptied all the stuff from the boot of the Jeep and looked at the dog/cargo guard. How hard can it be to fit one of these? No instructions as it was second hand - not a problem there is always Google and YouTube. HMMMMMMMM after much looking and a few cups of coffee still couldn't find any fitting instructions/videos 🤔🤯

It can only go in one of two ways so choosing the obvious one decided on a test fit to see how it went. Got to the point with a bit of pushing and shoving that it started to go in and kinda look like it should, then found out it didn't want to come back out so time for some commitment, more pushing and shoving and much swearing later it ended up where it seems it should go and wedged tightly between the floor and roof.

IMG_20210904_124749.jpg

IMG_20210904_135201.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Once the  dog/cargo guard was in place went for a rummage around and found my fire extinguishers (two dry powder and one foam". Plenty of cable ties to hold them to the dog/cargo guard and some bungee cords to save them bouncing off during any off roading events (dry powder and foam going off in the boot wouldn't be fun" 🤔

So after the fire safety was taken care of another bungee cord and the first aid kit made it up there as well - OMG now I am turning into a Health and Safety Officer, I need help big time - someone send threopy quick. 😳🤪

It should be noted at this point that the boot is a lot tidier and has a bit more room - BUT NO ROOM FOR ANY DAMN DOGS 😳😳:rsz_1img5:

IMG_20210904_141011.jpg

IMG_20210905_142331.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, Trailhawk said:

Looks great....no danger of your bacon frying getting out of hand now either 😉

You can never be too safe with bacon frying 🤣

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

It's been a while since I lasted posted anything on here about Aardvarks' progress, that's mainly been because I have been one of those taking "The Puppies" out on Salisbury Plain and just enjoying what Aardvark has been built for - ok that means just finding lots of puddles and lots of mud and driving in head first 😜

Aardvark has had a couple of additions :

Now has a roof rack, been looking for some time and one came up on "that auction site" 9.5 feet long by 4.5 feet wide and galvanised. Not designed for a Jeep but when it's only £40 and only have to go to Basingstoke to pick up not going to refuse 😄 Bit of Frankenstiening to get it to fit but it's up there. Will be a work in progress for a while👍

IMG_20220101_130508.thumb.jpg.f1c7b5427a88e2757ff51170e6d4174d.jpg

IMG_20220101_130527.thumb.jpg.4317d6ed773d1e7769545eb19d296e8a.jpg

Could be the first Jeep "Technical"

Having now got a roof rack and nailed it on Aardvark thought it might be time for some subtle extra lights 😄

Ok for those of you who know me I don't do subtle 😜 So off back to "that auction site" for some lights. While I was waiting for the new "subtle" lights to arrive spent some time with Mr. Unistrut and Mr. Angle Grinder to make a bar to attach them to 😄

The new "subtle" lights get delivered to my dear old sainted mum as I'm out slaving at work, probably would have been a good idea to warn her before hand 🤔🤔 note to self on that one.

With some drilling, bolting, and the odd bit of swearing all the lights get attached to the bar.

IMG_20220101_130604.thumb.jpg.799484617a228cd125d2f8af1e9be27a.jpg

1 off 42 inch curved LED light bar @244 Watts

2 off 4 inch LED lights @100 Watts each

And yes that is an Aardvark mooning the camera 😵

This weekend has been spent wiring all the lights together and then wiring them into a wiring harness with switch, fuse, and relay. They wont be connected to any of the original lighting system but operated seperatly. Luckily the WG has a removeable section of dash behind the steering wheel, so out that came and with some carefull and repeated measuring a hole was cut for the switch.

After much ungentlemanly language whilst running the cables, finding somewhere to fit everything, and connecting it all together it's time for the big switch on 🙃

IMG-20220102-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.57df12c414d5c929618462519f35a6c8.jpeg

The switch works

IMG-20220102-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.eaedbc3683483ca634388e69b3754241.jpeg

and all the lights work - result 🤩

444 Watts of brightness

Would have tried to get a photo directly in front of the Jeep but retina burns were an issue 🤣

Maybe I now need some lights on the back too 🤔

Not sure what will be next on the list for Aardvark, some TLC required after spending a lot of time on the Plains but after that who knows 👍🤔👍

Watch this space 👋👋👋

• Like 6

• Platinum Member

Nice job mate as as your loft conversion extends over your bonnet, you should not get much light reflection on your bonnet which can blind you or will blind you with 444 Watts 😆👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
7 minutes ago, JimC said:

Nice job mate as as your loft conversion extends over your bonnet, you should not get much light reflection on your bonnet which can blind you or will blind you with 444 Watts 😆👍

"loft conversion" love it 🤣🤣🤣

Need to find some dark and uninhabited corner of the planet to give it proper test. Think I will be ok but no promises about anyone standing in front of me 😵

Think I might need the same anti flash goggles they used for nuclear bomb tests 😎🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
9 minutes ago, Caroline12 said:

Looks good Spookie😎😎😎😎😎😎

Thank you 😁 Could be handy for the next night time recovery exercise, except for the blindness 😵😎🙃

What was the roof rack off?  Looks like it must have been considerably longer and wider than a Jeep.

Lights always confuse me, sometimes people quote watts, sometimes lumens, sometimes God only knows what.  Mr Google suggests 444 watts of LED is equal to about 40,000 lumens, which I am sure will be more than enough ☀️☀️😎

Nice job.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 minute ago, UKTJ said:

What was the roof rack off?  Looks like it must have been considerably longer and wider than a Jeep.

Lights always confuse me, sometimes people quote watts, sometimes lumens, sometimes God only knows what.  Mr Google suggests 444 watts of LED is equal to about 40,000 lumens, which I am sure will be more than enough ☀️☀️😎

Nice job.

Not sure what the roof rack came off of originally but I am guessing a commercial van. Previous owner used it on his volvo estate using cable ties to the roof rails 😵🤣

I always use Watts as it makes it easier to work out the Ampage. I think my definition of the lights would be "GOD DAMN BRIGHT" 😎

If its not enough I can always put some on the front grill as well 🙃😁

• Like 1

Cable ties!?!  I am not that well acquainted with health & safety, but that is just mental!

Edited by UKTJ
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
46 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Cable ties!?!  I am not that well acquainted with health & safety, but that is just mental!

Trust me thought the same 😵🤣

Safe to say i didn't go down the cable tie route 🤣👍

• Platinum Member

Hi Spooky,

its an interesting idea how you attached your rack to the rails.  All the racks I've made over the years I have fitted on to the roof mounting points with the original rails removed. I'd like to fit one to my WK but the roof rails are silly short ones at the back. The cross bars are next to useless for tying things on as they are curved upward as well. This is one of the only things that are badly designed for what I want. In the past with older cars I have fitted 'pop' bolts in to lengthen the rack or go all the way to the front. The problem with the WK is I don't want to drill holes in the roof!

GR8 lights. 👍

Your mate with the cable ties has never had a pine frame double bed come off the roof on the motorway!!😂

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi Spooky,

its an interesting idea how you attached your rack to the rails.  All the racks I've made over the years I have fitted on to the roof mounting points with the original rails removed. I'd like to fit one to my WK but the roof rails are silly short ones at the back. The cross bars are next to useless for tying things on as they are curved upward as well. This is one of the only things that are badly designed for what I want. In the past with older cars I have fitted 'pop' bolts in to lengthen the rack or go all the way to the front. The problem with the WK is I don't want to drill holes in the roof!

GR8 lights. 👍

Your mate with the cable ties has never had a pine frame double bed come off the roof on the motorway!!😂

Bit of a frankenstien fixing at the moment, get the rack up on to the cross bars and secure with four exhaust clamps, make do and mend 🤣

Still way more secure than cable ties 🤣

At some time in the future will be redone using unistrut and bolts, that's if the suspention doesn't give out under the weight 😁😇

Thanks digger must admit I do love them, not sure anyone in front of me on a dark night will🙃

Think he was lucky he didn't lose the rack on a motor way - would have loved to read that accident report 🤣

• Platinum Member

Not b... likely mate and it was thirty years ago!   It wrecked the bed too!!!

Mind you I've always been fussy about proper tying on. I did a bit of transport work in the seventies and the boss said ''always secure your own loads, then you've only yourself to blame!''.  However on that occasion the ropes failed  I've never used rope since, just good straps with lever wedge retainers.   Very easy to use and they don't come loose like ratchets can sometimes.

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, JimC said:

Seeing as our convoy is @MGomes, @Caroline12, myself and then @spookie the aardvark. You can work out who it is that will be getting blinded 🥴

• Haha 2