Grand Cherokee WG/WJ Modding Time

spookie the aardvark

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
On 25/10/2020 at 16:41, Jim said:

Looking good but I must disagree with you on the lettering as I like the white lettering.

Yes, be carefull when you reverse and on my WG, I only had to butcher trim a small amount of the bumper and I think that I am running bigger tyres as mine are 255/75/17 with a 2" puck lift.

image.png

After running the Jeep around for a while found there is some rubbing in reverse and on full lock. Trimmed the inner wheel arch both sides as one was flapping in the breeze a bit but looks like next week I will have have to trim the bumper on the off side as it is a "gnats' hairy gonad" too close to the tyre. Will probably do both both sides to match and make sure no more rubbing. Time for the multi tool or disc cutter 💩💩💩💩

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Today the new front tow hitch aarived from HK Offroad, one heavy bit of kit -very well built. Now it has gone off to be powder coated gloss black to match the back one. When it comes back it is fitting time, hopefully second time around is the charm 🤣🤣🤣

Should fit onto the chassis rails behind the front bumper 🤞🤞🤞🤞

IMG_20201110_092751.jpg

IMG_20201110_092726.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
4 minutes ago, PDB said:

Great. Hitch mount and recovery points. 👍

Cheers PBD 👍 The guy only makes them to order and they are heavy duty - weighs over 15 Kg. Cant wait to see it on the front 🤞🤘

Gives a lot of options on the front

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Yeh it does, why do I do this to myself?????????????????? 😂😂

OOOOOOOOOOH right coz if I dont the WG/WJ will get all sulky, just like TazMann's and start making strange noises in protest 🤯🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, spookie the aardvark said:

Now it has gone off to be powder coated gloss black to match the back one.

Every powder coated component on both of my Jeeps has corroded underneath the finish. Every part that was acid-etch primed and wet sprayed is still in good condition after 14 years of use. The corrosion under the powder coated components became noticeable around the second or third year. It now just flakes off in chunks every time I jetwash.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Cheers V I didnt know that 🥴 looks like I picked the wrong coating, just have to see how it goes but I will remember that for next time 👍

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Finally got the time to get round to sorting out the front hitch, second time and second receiver hitch is the charm, fitted like a treat and I can still steer round corners - bargin 🤣

Sourced from HK Offroad in the States, the guy promised it would fit and it does 👍🥳 Good place to go for heavy duty bits as he designs and builds them (think he may have been building Abrams tanks at one point 🤣🤣)

Now all that is needed is to be allowed out to play :rsz_img16:

IMG_20201222_134708.jpg

IMG_20201222_134733.jpg

IMG_20201222_134812.jpg

IMG_20201222_134752.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

That looks brilliant! Are you going to get a cradle winch for it?

Do you have a plastic bung for the receiver? A bung will save the receiver from filling up with dirt when you don't have the shackle fitted.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, V said:

Do you have a plastic bung for the receiver? A bung will save the receiver from filling up with dirt when you don't have the shackle fitted.

Cheers V, much appreciated 👍 it was one of the reasons for getting it in the first place so that I have the option for fitting a removable winch in the future, that way I can have it in the boot when I go off roading and use it if I need it but the rest of the time the winch can be stored somewhere else. It opens up a lot of flexible options.

I haven't got any bungs yet but i have seen some from the States so I will order one for the front and back as soon as the Americans have got rid of their turkey ................. and had the roast one for Thanks Giving - sorry got a bit political there 🤣🤣

I would leave the shackle in full time but as a friend said when he saw the photos - "good for knee capping predestrians" 🤣🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
53 minutes ago, frosty said:

looks great, very strong. 

Cheers frosty 👍 it is built like a "brick 💩 house". The guy makes lots of heavy duty stuff for WJ/WK/XK ect. Its great to see a company that will make stuff to fit the older Jeeps and looks like it will out class the more well known brands.

www.hkoffroad.com - well worth a look if just to get some ideas.

The front Curt reciever I bought from RockAuto should have fitted but it would seem that only fits left hand drive WJs. Chatting to the guy at HK Offroad I told him what Jeep I had, asked the question would it fit a right hand drive WG, he promised it would and it did. It uses holes already in the frame rails and all the new bolts are provided as well.

Now all I need is to go out somewhere and get stuck so I can test it when someone has to pull me out :rsz_img16:

• Platinum Member

Looks great Spookie. Certainly very beefy. I looked at a HK Offroad winch bumper, just too expensive to import at the time. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, PDB said:

Looks quality Spookie and doesn't stuff up the approach angle too much. Very versatile and discreet.

Will check out HK Offroad see what they've got....

Cheers PDB, must admit i was pleased with the build quality and ease of fitting. Shouldn't stuff the approach angle as it sort of high up, doesn't stick out too far and the front skid plate went back in to which was a suprise :rsz_img16:

Well worth having a look but as I found postage can be pricey as HK Offroads stuff is well over engineered and heavy 🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, TazMann said:

Looks great Spookie. Certainly very beefy. I looked at a HK Offroad winch bumper, just too expensive to import at the time. 

Cheers TazMann 👍 Agree postage costs can be a killer due to the amount of weight BUT he does some very nice winch bumpers in different styles (good to see a choice for the older Jeeps for a change 👍)

It took a while and two front receivers but at last got to where I want to be. Now ................................................ what to do next ????????????????? 🤔🤣🤔🤣🤔🤣🤔🤣

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
On 22/12/2020 at 21:04, V said:

Took the advice about the receiver plugs and ordered two MOPAR plugs from Quadratech in the States, Which arrived today 😃 Looks like they are made of a rubber compound and seem to be very good quality. Good tight fit so wont drop out and have a retaining ring as well. Even fitted the front reciever with no problem, and that wasnt a standard receiver.

Plugs 1.jpg

Plugs 2.jpg

IMG_20201231_111901.jpg

IMG_20201231_112043.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
6 minutes ago, PDB said:

Should keep the salt mud and snow out 👍

Cheers 😃 Should keep out just about anything 🤣

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Lock down 3.0 continues and should be a good time to do some more stuff the Jeep - how wrong could I be as work keep telling me they would like the pleasure of my company🤮 So in some spare time I was reading through wjjeeps.com, fantastic knowlage base for WJs and hense WGs as well. Found a section on badging including the Trail Rated badge. Turns out the WJ was trail rated and hense, I guess, the WG as well.

Looking on "that auction site" found a guy selling the badges, in red, for £5.99 for a pair with free postage 👍 Short wait and a bit of measureing later both now on the Jeep. according to wjjeeps.com should have just one on the near side but as I have two seems rude not to have used both.

:rsz_img16:

limited_trail_ratedn.jpg

trail_rated_locations.jpg

IMG_20210117_133641.jpg

IMG_20210117_133630.jpg

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Whilst on "that auction site" found some decals to go on the back of the Jeep, not everyone's cup of tea BUT no one could ever try to tell me I was politically correct 🙄

I know some people might be offended BUT I am politically INCORRECT and so is my Jeep 👍

:rsz_img16:

IMG_20210128_122540.jpg

IMG_20210128_122554.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Another small addition to the front end of the Jeep, one pair of GearAmerica Uber Shackles. Bought these through the club shop and a huge thank you to Jim for sorting it out for me 👏👍

They are an awesome bit of kit and not exactly lightweight, like all of GearAmerica bits very well made and totally over engineered 🤩 I think the front end end will be ripped from the Jeep before either the front receiver or shackles decide to break 🤣🤣

Sadly poor old Aardvark had to lose a couple of teeth to allow fitting the securing bolts 🙄

Dentistry done by an idiot with a multi tool 🤣🤪🤪😷

Still need to get out and give all this new stuff a damn good testing 🤔🤣🤣🤣

IMG_20210213_125640.jpg

IMG_20210213_125632.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, Volant165 said:

They look awesome! Yes, proper heavy duty Uber Shaclkles. 

Thanks, they look and feel amazing 👍 really really need to try them out, along with the other mods 😷😷

Loving the colour too 😍

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark

Cheers PBD, very happy with them and yes they are the anti theft ones so happy to leave them in place all the time. Can only get stolen by someone with a key ............. so lots of suspects if they do go missing :rsz_img16:

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
7 hours ago, PDB said:

👍

Not seen you on here for a while mate, everything ok with you???????????????????????

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
2 hours ago, PDB said:

All good thanks Spookie - busy with volunteering in a couple of organisations on time consuming matters, busy at work, and busy helping with ill relative that isn't quite local enough. Also have a second dog to babysit due to said illness. Boiler failed. We're getting there LOL!

AHHHHHHHH so just life as normal then?👍 Glad your doing ok - sort of lol. Hope to be able to meet you at one or more of the post lockdown events and put a face to a name :rsz_img16:

• Platinum Member

Now they are some meaty shackles Spookie. Loving the colour.

I didn't know the club was selling this stuff until I read about these yesterday. I have posted up about the Hitch receiver as I need one of those and hopefully the club will get some more in. Quite fancy red though on mine. 

Jeep as ever is looking good 👍🏻